walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Proper Winter Day in The Eastern Fells

A Proper Winter Day in The Eastern Fells

Postby Christo1979 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Red Screes

Date walked: 02/03/2020

Time taken: 6

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 929m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My first proper winter walk was the Fairfield Horseshoe last year, and having seen the snow caps on the fells around Ambleside, I had high hopes for a similar day - and I wasn’t disappointed! A fairly early start saw me walking up the Kirkstone Road, huffing, puffing, and perhaps regretting that extra pint of Cumbria Way the previous night. Before long I left the road above Roundhill Farm, and started the long and steady ascent of Red Screes, via Snarker Pike. Once past Flesh Crags, winter kicked-in and I revelled in icy ground, then fairly deep soft snow, and finally something of a blizzard on the summit. No crampons were needed, but my little snow grips were a godsend. Where today differed from my last snow walk, was that I actually got some views, not least a glorious view down to Middle Dodd, the second summit of the walk.

ImageWalking in the Eastern Fells by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Leaving the summit of Red Screes, I cut down to the wall and after that Middle Dodd was easily reached. I followed the wall back again, then traversed to the path following the wall down towards Scandale Pass. This was a glorious section of the walk, all fresh snow, great views, the fun of downhill plodging. Once at the stile on the Scandale Pass, it was simply a case of walking back to Ambleside, pausing frequently to look back up at these glorious snow-dusted fells.

Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: A Proper Winter Day in The Eastern Fells

Postby trailmasher » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Nice one Christo with some good shots of a winters day out :clap: I did the very same walk a couple of years ago or so and like you found it a struggle walking up the tarmac until reaching the gate onto the fells :( but from thereon it was a great walk as you found out on that lovely winters day.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Proper Winter Day in The Eastern Fells

Postby Christo1979 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 am

trailmasher wrote:Nice one Christo with some good shots of a winters day out :clap: I did the very same walk a couple of years ago or so and like you found it a struggle walking up the tarmac until reaching the gate onto the fells :( but from thereon it was a great walk as you found out on that lovely winters day.

Thanks Trailmasher, that marks only the second 'proper' winter day I've enjoyed, we don't seem to have had much in the way of winter the last couple of years :lol: Having said that, I shouldn't be complaining about anything at a time like this. Hope you're safe and well in these worrying times, and here's to getting back out on the fells soon.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland