walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windswept and Watered on Grayrigg

Windswept and Watered on Grayrigg

Postby martin.h » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Date walked: 08/03/2020

Time taken: 2.3

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 475m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Everytime we've travelled south on the M6 the knobbly outline of Grayrigg has made us want to wander up there and have a look.

It's the steep looking thing above Tebay and it draws your eye, after a bit of research (before and after I'd determined what it was) I discovered that there's a decent day out to be had along what's called the Whinfell Ridge, this takes in Grayrigg, Whinfell Beacon, Castle Fell, Mabbin Crag and Ashstead Fell then a return along the "Cumbrian Borrowdale" back to the A685 and the parking/view point overlooking the M6 around NY608007.

The forecast looked promising for the 8th March so we decided to have a bash at the ridge, we'd spent Saturday in the Lakes with an overnighter in Cockermouth, we'd managed a very short walk up Binsey, Saturday pm in between the showers, we were ready for something new and a bit longer on Sunday.

Well, as usual, the forecast was a bit out, Sunday morning dawned very windy with heavy showers, we decided to travel down to Tebay and see what the weather was going to do, well, you can always hope.

We arrived at the parking just as a heavy shower was developing, the wind was lively to say the least, it wasn't tempting us out at all. We sat in the car willing it to stop raining which it did after 15 minutes or so and it did look brighter :D after a quick "shall we, shall we not" we decided to go for it, after all, it had stopped raining for 5 minutes by now.

Boots on, jackets, hats and gloves on we set off hoping for the best.

We headed south on the A685 for a very short way to the first gate in the wall on the right of the road, went through this and doubled back on ourselves on a rough track which starts to climb the fell side.
After a hundred metres or so the track comes to an end so from here on it's a case of heading up the pathless fellside aiming for the skyline above, once up there we turned left and headed for the obvious small ridge line between Little Coum and Great Coum which heads straight for the summit.

It's very wet underfoot all the way up, as we got higher it became very steep and really slippery almost to the point of "one step forward two steps back" :roll: but it is a very quick ascent and a path develops as height is gained.

Ascent views

Did I mention it'd started raining again, no?, well it had, as soon as we'd started to climb more or less, as we got higher it turned to hail :shock: and the wind, blimey, it was fierce :roll: :lol:

When we arrived at the end of the steep up hill bit there's a big cairn marking a great spot for views, it's not the summit of Grayrigg but it is an airy spot (and windy :lol: ) with good views up the Lune Valley.

We went over to Greyrigg Pike and then set off for the Trig Point.

By now the weather was dampening our enthusiasm 'scuse the pun :lol: we looked at heading for the repeater station and taking the track leading down to Borrowdale from there, the ridge was not tempting us at all today but even the repeater station looked a long way off,

so we decided to turn tail and get back down to the car via Birk Knott, we'd had enough to be honest, so that's what we decided to do :(

From the trig we back tracked to the wall we'd crossed earlier and followed it down over Birk Knott.

Descent Views

As we got lower we noticed it was heading away from our intended route so we found a low spot in it and climbed over, as we got lower it got wetter and wetter, mega squelchy!, not the best way down but it took us to where we wanted to be and we managed to get down without ending up soaking our rear ends :lol:

We arrived on the metalled farm track in Borrowdale, that was a relief, we don't like road walking but compared to what we'd been walking on it was very welcome. Oh, by the way, it had stopped raining :D and guess what? the sun was out, typical :roll: mind you, it didn't last :?

At the end of the farm track there's a useful parking area, we'll use that next time, it's a short walk to the A685 from there and a bit of a longer one back to our parking spot.

Last look at knobbly Grayrigg

It was good to get out, even though we'd shortened our intended route. The better weather is coming so we'll be back to do the full ridge as soon as we get the chance, we're determined to get those good views I'd read about, roll on the warmer weather :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23
Walk wish-list

Re: Windswept and Watered on Grayrigg

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 am

Nice report.

You will enjoy the ridge when you get round to it. It's a little boggy at times but really good in others particularly near to the A6 and the walk through the valley is lovely (and the walk along the opposite Whinash ridge isn't bad either if you fancied it).

Just a note if you fancied varying it slightly that the walk can also easily be done from Huck's Bridge on the A6 depending on which way the wind is blowing - if you wanted the wind on your back for the high bit.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:85   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:272
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby martin.h » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Broggy1 wrote:Nice report.

You will enjoy the ridge when you get round to it. It's a little boggy at times but really good in others particularly near to the A6 and the walk through the valley is lovely (and the walk along the opposite Whinash ridge isn't bad either if you fancied it).

Just a note if you fancied varying it slightly that the walk can also easily be done from Huck's Bridge on the A6 depending on which way the wind is blowing - if you wanted the wind on your back for the high bit.

Thanks Broggy

Yes, I've looked at the Huck's Bridge start but felt it's easier for us to start at the Tebay end, from home it only takes 1.5 hrs to get to Tebay.
I've also looked at doing both sides of Borrowdale on the same day, it looks a good day out, so we might have a go at that, I've heard that the farmer (landowner?) isn't keen on folk walking on his land especially around Belt Howe and Jeffrey's Mount so that could be interesting if we come across him :shock: I'm determined to give it a go so look out for the walk report :D
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Nice one MH :clap: good photos showing the weather conditions :( but at least you got some decent views. I'll just endorse what Broggy1 said about the ridge walk, it's well worth doing as is it's opposite neighbour Whinash. BTW, I've been up Jeffrey's Mount around three times now and never had a problem with the farmer, and there is a good track/path all the way up and along the ridge 8) :) Again, nice report :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:18 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one MH :clap: good photos showing the weather conditions :( but at least you got some decent views. I'll just endorse what Broggy1 said about the ridge walk, it's well worth doing as is it's opposite neighbour Whinash. BTW, I've been up Jeffrey's Mount around three times now and never had a problem with the farmer, and there is a good track/path all the way up and along the ridge 8) :) Again, nice report :)

Thankyou TM,

I think we might have a go at both sides the next time and may start the day on the Whinash side, I'm glad you mentioned the farmer, we were having a chat with a local about him, from his tone I suspect it was a personal thing?
Just as a matter of interest, where's the start of the track up Jeffrey's mount, is it the one marked on the map at around
NY609018 just off the A685?

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:05 pm

martin.h wrote:
trailmasher wrote:Nice one MH :clap: good photos showing the weather conditions :( but at least you got some decent views. I'll just endorse what Broggy1 said about the ridge walk, it's well worth doing as is it's opposite neighbour Whinash. BTW, I've been up Jeffrey's Mount around three times now and never had a problem with the farmer, and there is a good track/path all the way up and along the ridge 8) :) Again, nice report :)

Thankyou TM,

[Just as a matter of interest, where's the start of the track up Jeffrey's mount, is it the one marked on the map at around
NY609018 just off the A685?]

Cheers.

The start of the track is just south of Roundthwaite just after passing through the gate onto the open fellside on the left hand side at approx. NY60672 03204. Hope this helps.TM
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:11   
Hewitts:180
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland