walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Helvellyn via Striding Edge

Helvellyn via Striding Edge

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Helvellyn

Hewitts included on this walk: Helvellyn

Date walked: 26/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone :D how lucky am I? Yesterday it was again a visit to the Lakes and a chance to repeat my first ever mountain walk, Helvellyn via Striding Edge which I did on 1st September 2007 on what became a very misty day and sadly gave no views, the followng picture is from that day.
IMAG0017new.jpg
Helvellyn 1.9.2007

So it was another early get up and a drive to Patterdale, kitted up we were walking by 8.30am which put us near the front of a large queue later on.
IMG_1227new.jpg
The gang at Hole in the Wall

View down the valley.
IMG_1235new.jpg
Valley view

Start of Striding Edge.
IMG_1237new.jpg
Start of the edge

Looking over Red Tarn.
IMG_1239new.jpg
Red Tarn
IMG_1247new.jpg
Yours truly

It was dry on the rocks so the going was quite good, but we were closely watched by Commander Conroy just in case :lol:
IMG_1255new.jpg
Where are my troops?

Here we are lined up on the edge,great fun.
IMG_1254new.jpg
Here we are

We picked our way along the spine until we reached the chimney at the end, when I was last here there was a fell race on and marshalls had put a rope to aid speed through this part, no such luck today.
IMG_1260new.jpg
One at a time please
IMG_1264new.jpg
Take care
IMG_1269new.jpg
The tricky bit
IMG_1275new.jpg
One or two overtake us, must be in a rush
IMG_1276new.jpg
Checkout time!

Finally after the scramble up to the summit we can savour the great views from the 950 metre peak.
IMG_1282new.jpg
The summit trig point

We arrived back in Patterdale at 3.00pm after a great walk, plenty of laughs and good company, roll on the next one. :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Helvellyn via Striding Edge

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:00 am

Enjoyed that - haven't been on there for a while... did you go down Swirral? As usual, I have a funny incident to relate from Helvellyn summit... when we did the edges with a largish group, we were having a snack at the summit shelter. One of our group was eating an apple when the 'summit sheep' climbed up the rocks he was sat on, continued to climb right up him to his face, bit his hand and stole his apple. We were in hysterics but he insisted it wasn't funny! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 am

Hi,yes we came off Swirral, the bad weather was coming in as predicted and we were shocked to see so many going up mid afternoon with no equipment, not even boots. Shocked but perhaps not surprised as we see it all the time, Helvellyn should be respected..There were some people coming off the summit and coming along Striding Edge against the flow, have you done it that way? :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby canisp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks for this one, always happy :D to see photo’s of Helvellyn my favourite Lake District mountain.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby yokehead » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 am

Glad that you got some views this time! :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby 37lumleyst » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Really enjoyed the posting on Helvellyn, I am relatively new to the site and have tended to look at the general discussion page more than the others. But today I have found the walks outside of Scotland and have to say that I enjoy reading susanmyatt reports very much.

I live in the North east of England so the Lakes are very accessible for me (Only an hour away) and as such I know them very well. It’s always good to read of other peoples walks, especially when they are accompanied with cracking pictures like those.

I’m looking forwards to putting my own hill top accounts over the coming months now that I have found this little spot.
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi,thanks for the comments, I only started walking in September of 2007, I had a problem with my foot which meant it was getting no blood flow and hence no pulse. The solution was lose weight and get fit or an operation, I chose the former and when going to the gym met a gentleman named Alan "Commander" Conroy who took people out on a saturday for a walk. As I said previous, my first hill and second walk was Helvellyn by the Edge, the rest is history as they say and I have missed very few walks since and got my husband walking. Just love being on the hills with good company, we have a superb saturday gang and I have been and seen places I never knew existed. I look forward to your walks and enjoying your photos, welcome to the group, best regards Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain tortoise » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi there
Love your reports. You always look like you are having such a good time. Good for you for getting out there. My mum had the same problem as you with her feet, her choice was to sit on the sofa and wait for god. Not a great choice. You have definfely picked the best option. Has the walking worked for your foot?
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Great report and pictures Susan is this the walk that's was on Julia Bradburys wainwrights walks tonight
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 am

I didn’t watch the programme last night as I’ve seen them all before – I think she did Blencathra and went up by Brunt Knott and over ‘Sharp Edge’ just above ‘Scales Tarn’. For me this is by far the best route up – its not as long as Striding Edge on Helvellyn but some argue that its more demanding. The views across to the summit ridge are worth every step of effort you put in; personally Blencathra is one of my favourite Lakeland Fells, closely followed by Great Gable and the High Stile Range above Ennerdale/Buttermere.
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 am

Hi, Mountain Tortoise, yes it has cured my problem and the pulse is as good as it gets. I presume you call yourself that because you think you are slow, we have a tortoise and believe me, they can shift when they want :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0087new.jpg
This is our Leopard Tortoise, Spartacus
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain tortoise » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Love the tortoise, looks just like me. Yes I am slow, I generally bring a whole new meaning to slow for most people. Recently did the Carneddau ridge - Pen yr ole Wen, Carnedd Daffydd, Carnedd Llewelyn and Pen yr Helgi Du. I set off at 8am to avoid the whole world waiting when I got to the scrambley bit. But most people had caught me up by 11am. I was back to my car for 4 30pm so I was quite happy. But 81/2 hours is slow for that walk. I generally keep out of Snowdonia when its busy and do the hills around me which are quieter. I suppose like your tortoise I do not stop I can go for days. Trekking is my thing stamina and keep going are is more me.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Nige R » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Have been round both sides of Helvellyn from Striding Edge, down Swirral and up Catsdicam in snow and ice, walked out via Keppel Cove dam, and the other way too down towards Nethermost & Dollywagon pikes, in summer, both highly recommended, worth popping up Fairfield too if you have the energy left from the tarn
Nige R

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:39   

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Not this week Nige :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby Derek T » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:29 am

How many hours should I allow for this walk? I'm thinking of doing it on Friday but won't get to Patterdale until around 2pm. Does that leave me plenty of time to get back down before dark?
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland