walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Green Velvety Magnificence

Green Velvety Magnificence

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:54 pm

Date walked: 31/05/2020

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 14.6 km

Ascent: 850m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Perhaps it was the video of dolphins frolicking the in the sea just off the coast of my home town, sent to me by a furlowed friend from work, that pushed me over the edge. The fact that he was getting paid to watch dolphins and I was sat at bloody work, as I have been throughout this pandemic (key worker my ar*e :roll: ), was just too much. :evil:
As all work and no play makes jack a dull and pi**ed off boy I decided my exile from the hills had to end. I could, of course have visited in the last few weeks, but given the easing of lockdown had just been sprung upon the national parks by those who think they know best, I had decided to hold my fire. By this weekend both the Dales and Lakes looked to at least be getting a degree acceptance of the situation so I was all set. I decided to head for the Cross Keys and walk into the Howgills as I could avoid farm yards and villages no problem.

I arrived just after eight to find two cars already in the layby, a portent of things to come :think: , and Hughie and I were soon striding along the path to Cautley Spout under blue skies and brilliant sunshine. The hills themselves, glowing in their green velvety magnificence and soaring steeply skywards were crying out to be climbed. :D

Heading for the hills

Sheep and Crag

And climbed some of them were.... slowly. :lol: Plenty of rests were taken as we made our way up by Cautley Spout, as much moss as water at the moment, and along the top of Cautley Crag. This is my favourite stretch of walking in the Howgills and before we left the end of the Crag we stopped and sat, taking it all in, it felt so good to be back. :D

Path by Cautley Spout

Cautley Moss?

Almost at the top of the Falls

Top of the Falls, Red Gill Beck

Looking along Cautley Crag

Yarlside

Cautley Holme Beck

Cautley Crag

Looking back along the Crags

A Place to sit and contemplate :D

By this point I had already seen more people, mainly at distance, than I normally would on a walk in the Howgills but no mater, I felt quite good so decided once I had made my way along the side of Great Dummacks (just what is a Dummack???) and onto Calders, I'd bag the last remaining Dewey in the Howgills I'd yet to climb, and visit Arant Haw. By the time we got to Calders the wind was really quite strong but this was, if anything, a good thing as it kept me cool on what would have otherwise been a sweltering day. It was a nice easy wander to Arant Haw and once there I found a spot out of the wind and sat having a snack, taking in a view that included a crystal clear panorama of the Lake District Fells with Mickledore prominent, linking the Scafells.

Sheep and Scree

Arant Haw

From Bog Cotton to Beyond

Final pull up to Calders

Calders Summit with the Lake District Fells in the background

...and a close up

Descending to Arant Haw

Howgill Layers

Back along the path to Calders

Arant Haw Summit with Morecambe Bay in the back ground

Fell Head from Arant Haw

Way back to Calders from Arant Haw

I found the pull back up to Calders hard going but this was hardly a surprise given the general lack of activity over the last few months but from here on out It was all easy as I quickly passed the Calf Summit, trig point adorned with resting fell runners and dodged a few mountain bikers before finding a quiet spot next to the path down to Bowderdale to have lunch and enjoy views up and down the valley.

Fell Head from The Calf

Lunch stop

Happy Boy

There was little point in continuing down the path at this point so I cut across the open fell down to Bowderdale Beck and headed for the head of the valley. From here, rather than descending the usual path I thought I'd stay higher on the old path that cuts across the flank of Yarlside, partly to avoid people and partly because I'd never used it before. This path, so clear from the other side of the valley is really narrow and strangely not that clear when your're on it. :-? It also had a few sections of Hughie's nemesis, namely scree, to contend with but overall it was perfectly fine in the main.

Approaching Bowderdale Head

Cautley Spout and Crag

...and again

Hughie and his nemesis

Heading Down

Back to the valley

Once we returned to the car not only was the layby full but the opposite side of the road had a solid line of cars parked on the verge, not something I've ever seen here before. As I was leaving two car fulls of lads had turned up and were chatting in the middle of the road, seemingly not bothering with any form of social distancing as man hugs and general laddish behaviour were indulged in. I left them to it only to have my faith in the general idiocy of the British public confirmed as I drove though Kirkby Stephen to see hordes of Bikers wandering around visiting every shop they could find in the hope of getting a bacon sandwich and a coffee no doubt. :roll:

I'm really glad I went for a walk, and I'm really glad I didn't have contact with anybody while out or visit any shops toilets etc etc but I am now more worried about just what the next few months will bring. Hopefully just a few more wanders in the hills. :-|

Howgills.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Green Velvety Magnificence

Postby trailmasher » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Nice one JK, good report and pics of a great day out on some fine hills :clap: I may have mentioned it before but I love the Howgills :) Your photos depict just how large, smooth, and rounded these fells are and it must be said that there are some lovely valleys between them to walk along also. And yes JK, it's great to be back in the great outdoors albeit with caution of others less concerned about social distancing.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby martin.h » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Enjoyed that JK, lovely photo's as usual :D
We're just beginning to appreciate how nice the Howgills are to explore, lets hope the kind of large groups you encountered don't spoil it for the rest of us, like you, the call of the hills is becoming louder and difficult to resist :D :lol:

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby poppiesrara » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Welcome back JK, good to see the hills appearing on here again (from a distance) and some beautiful views.

Haven't quite yet ventured outside the county walking ('allowed' as it might be now) but I don't have the higher places as close; it will have to come before too much longer. Re: the future, I think we have to remain positive for now and trust that all the outdoor close encounters we see (and squirm at) lose their potency by being in the open air - the numbers are still (very slowly) getting a bit better in spite of quite a few weeks of that sort of thing.
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Broggy1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Super pics and report. Cautley is always great.

Just one question though - with that being your first visit to Arant Haw would that mean you've never done the full ridge walk from the South/Sedbergh over Winder etc? Definitely worth a wander from that way if not.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 pm

Great stuff, and wonderful pics, as ever. The Howgills are pretty fine, most especially on a day like you had, especially as regards the clarity of the air. As you know, I was on Middleton Fell and Gragareth on the Thursday, and there was a slight heat haze for the entire day.

Hey, but ain't it just great to get out into t'ills again??? :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:42 pm

Great pics of a great area - but don't do too much to popularise it.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one JK, good report and pics of a great day out on some fine hills :clap: I may have mentioned it before but I love the Howgills :) Your photos depict just how large, smooth, and rounded these fells are and it must be said that there are some lovely valleys between them to walk along also. And yes JK, it's great to be back in the great outdoors albeit with caution of others less concerned about social distancing.

Thanks TM, I've yet to meet anybody who doesn't like the Howgills to be honest, hopefully most of them will be elsewhere the next time I visit.

martin.h wrote:Enjoyed that JK, lovely photo's as usual :D
We're just beginning to appreciate how nice the Howgills are to explore, lets hope the kind of large groups you encountered don't spoil it for the rest of us, like you, the call of the hills is becoming louder and difficult to resist :D :lol:

Cheers

Thanks Martin, I'm sure they'll be trudging up Helvellyn/Scafell Pike/Skiddaw* soon and be leaving the Howgills alone.

*delete as appropriate.

poppiesrara wrote:Welcome back JK, good to see the hills appearing on here again (from a distance) and some beautiful views.

Haven't quite yet ventured outside the county walking ('allowed' as it might be now) but I don't have the higher places as close; it will have to come before too much longer. Re: the future, I think we have to remain positive for now and trust that all the outdoor close encounters we see (and squirm at) lose their potency by being in the open air - the numbers are still (very slowly) getting a bit better in spite of quite a few weeks of that sort of thing.

Thank you Poppie, only time will tell just how this thing pans out, I intend to at least attempt to make hay while the sun shines for the moment.

Broggy1 wrote:Super pics and report. Cautley is always great.

Just one question though - with that being your first visit to Arant Haw would that mean you've never done the full ridge walk from the South/Sedbergh over Winder etc? Definitely worth a wander from that way if not.

Thanks Broggy, most kind. Walking from Sedbergh over Winder and Arant Haw was my next intended Howgills walk but as I didn't want to park in any towns (would have been full of bikers anyway :roll: ) or go through farmyards so I decided to do it this way. I'll certainly give it a go next time it is appropriate.

Alteknacker wrote:Great stuff, and wonderful pics, as ever. The Howgills are pretty fine, most especially on a day like you had, especially as regards the clarity of the air. As you know, I was on Middleton Fell and Gragareth on the Thursday, and there was a slight heat haze for the entire day.

Hey, but ain't it just great to get out into t'ills again??? :D

It most certainly is my friend :D

past my sell by date wrote:Great pics of a great area - but don't do too much to popularise it.

Cheers, they'll all be back to the Lakes and the three peaks soon I'm sure.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland