walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Taste of The Far East

A Taste of The Far East

Postby Christo1979 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Mardale Ill Bell

Hewitts included on this walk: Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Rough Crag

Date walked: 20/06/2020

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 13.25 km

Ascent: 807m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With lockdown restrictions continuing to ease in England, my friend Laura and I decided to go that little bit further afield, that extra half hour, to The Lake District. After a few months away from these hills, I was beyond excited as we chugged our way along the A66, poring over the map of what was to be a new area of the LD for me - the Far Eastern Fells around Haweswater. I naively thought it might be quiet in this area of the lakes, but how wrong I was. Mardale Head was certainly the busiest I have ever seen a car park in the area - but thankfully there are so many walking routes, we didn't see many other people once we left the car park. There was a large tent pitched not far from the car park, and a collection of nature's finest doing their best to turn one of the most gorgeous starts to a walk anywhere into a holiday camp. Fortunately, it seems they were moved on. But the posts on social media the following day from people clearing up litter in this very spot made me sick :(

However, the weather was gorgeous, the conditions crystal clear, and we strode towards The Rigg with smiles on our faces, before doubling back and straight up the Riggindale ridge towards the first objective of the day - Rough Crag. The beginning of the ridge reminded me very much of Low Pike/High Pike stretch of the Fairfield Horseshoe, and the view back to Haweswater was glorious.

ImageHigh Street & Harter Fell by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The path that winds its way to Rough Crag is just exposed enough to be exhilarating, which I don't think I'd quite expected - it was a wonderful little scrambly journey to the summit, from which the view down to Blea Water and ahead to the Long Stile ridge were quite stunning. Long Stile is a wonderful way up to High Street, it makes for a real mountain adventure on a fell that, once attained, is flat as a pancake.

Once on the famous fell that is High Street, it was easy walking along the Roman route that is High Street, and I was tempted to continue to the beacon on Thornthwaite Crag, given that when I last climbed that hill the weather was poor and the views non-existent. We did enjoy the view cross to Windermere from the Roman road, but decided to stick with the planned route and swung round towards the next summit, Mardale Ill Bell.

Mardale Ill Bell offers stunning views back towards Haweswater Reservoir, and we had ourselves a lunch break in a sheltered spot shy of the summit. More easy walking on a good path took us down to the head of the Nan Bield Pass, before we plodded straight back up the 'other side' to climb Harter Fell, my 126th Wainwright. This really is a glorious horseshoe walk, and I felt I had underestimated the rocky, dramatic beauty of some of these Far Eastern Fells.

From Harter Fell it was an easy descent on the more grassy slopes (and good path) to Gatesgarth Pass, from which a new-looking but rough (and long) track took us all the way back to the car park at Mardale Head. A glorious walk on a glorious day, and it was wonderful to be back in the Lake District.

Last edited by Christo1979 on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: A Taste of The Far East

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 pm

I've been up High Street three times and never seen a dammed thing due to either cloud or darkness. Interesting to see a paved path along the east ridge (Rough Crag), which seems to be new.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 pm

A Lakeland classic, love the way up Rough Crag.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby hooter2014 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:26 am

That exact walk was my favorite of last year :wink:
hooter2014
Walker

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:46 pm

Nice one: that used to be a favourite when we visited the Lakes more often. Haven't done it for years, need to fix that!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby trailmasher » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Well done once again Christo and Laura :clap: A great way to go on a great walk and what great weather you had also.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland