walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Return to the Lakes

A Return to the Lakes

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Sallows, Sour Howes, Troutbeck Tongue

Date walked: 20/06/2020

Time taken: 5

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 855m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sooner or later the pull of the lake District was going to prove too much and I finally relented for this weekend. The forecast looked OK if a bit murky early on but as my lack of fitness probably ruled out the higher fells that was hardly a big issue. Hughie and I arrived at Church Bridge just outside of Troutbeck at just after 8 AM to find a fairly full car park. The roads on the way over had been really empty but the number of visitors who walk the fells seemed to be at a fairly normal level.

We set off on a morning that couldn't make up it's mind if it was going to rain or not but given it was very warm an humid in the valley, waterproofs hardly mattered. We made out way through the deserted Limefitt holiday park and onto the Longmire Road to stride out towards the days first fell.

Foxgloves close up

On the Longmire Road

It was really great to be back and perhaps the misty conditions were better than a blue sky day to get that Lakeland atmosphere I've missed so much. We had made our way so far along before coming across a field of cows and a bull, Part of the reason they are here is to help with the regeneration of the valleys flora, which is a very good thing but I didn't fancy passing through with a dog so I back tracked a little and dropped down to Ing Lane.
There were a few other walkers on this track but the general feeling of peace and tranquillity was maintained as we huffed and puffed up the steep little climb to the top of Troutbeck Tongue.

We had breakfast overlooking an atmospheric scene towards the Kirkstone Pass a little way from the summit, with the wind it felt quite chilly so we were soon retracing our steps back towards the valley bottom where the sun was starting to break through. While on the summit I'd had a bit of map study and decided the best way to get to the next target was to head up around the area of Long Green Head, which I had observed as being fairly bracken free.

Sun on Lowther Brow

Bridge over Hagg Gill

On the Flank of the Tongue

Verdant

Ready for Action

View along Troutbeck

Life and Death

Kirkstone Pass

Troutbeck Tongue Summit

High Great Knott

Hazy View of Windermere

Wansfell

It was true that the going was good underfoot and I didn't have to plough through bracken at any point but blooming heck it felt steep! Torturous progress was made up the open fellside as I dreamed of the Garburn Road coming into view. When finally, following way more photo stops than was in any way necessary, I reached the wall I exclaimed loudly to nobody in particular; "F*****g Hell that was a slog!" only to see a rather alarmed fell runner staring at the rude sweary individual who had just appeared behind the wall :oops: I uttered an embarrassed "morning" and allowed him to trot away before moving along the now steady and far more hospitable incline.

Sun breaking through

Troutbeck Village

Another photo stop you say?

Higher ground starting to clear

Compared to the open fell side the route to Garburn Nook and then the trod to Sallows summit was a doddle. We sat and had lunch, enjoying the breaking up of the clouds as patches of sunshine made their way over the fell tops. I sat quite a while as in all honesty there wasn't much more walking to be done for my planned route.

The Garburn Road .......at last!

Garburn Nook

Red Screes

Sallows Summit

Kentmere Horseshoe

Big Skies over Red Screes

Windermere from Sallows

I followed the trods along the broad curving ridge to the other oddly named top that is Sour Hows When you get here there is an obvious lump with eroded footsteps up it and a small cairn, is this the high point? most people seem to think it is but personally I think it's more likely to be this spot height marked on the map as 483m and according to Hill bagging website it is. Not that this particularly matters as the more popular lump makes a better top. We didn't linger and headed off for the last fell of the day, Capple How.

Red Screes close up

Ill Bell Ridge

Thresthwaite Mouth

The assumed summit of Sour Hows

Hughie on Sour Hows

High Fells from Sour Hows

The assumed summit from the actual one?

The sun was out on Capple How so it made for a nice place to linger and finish off rations before retracing my steps to the fence that forms the boundary between this and Sour Hows. I had a memory of a stile over the wall from my last visit a few years back so I contoured around the fell side and managed to find said stile quite easily. From here it was a case of following the trod, over another couple of ladder stiles either side of the Garburn Road and back to the car via The Howe. There was the lightest sprinkling of gentle rain on the way back to the car but nothing to warrant waterproofs.

Sunshine on Capple How

Over the wall to Windermere

Glorious day in Lakeland

On the way down

Coniston Fells

Troutbeck Village backed by the Southern Fells

It was great to return to Lakeland and enjoy the fells once again, even if it was a trio of unheralded tops. Numbers on the fells were really as one would expect but given these are hardly the busiest tops keeping distance wasn't an issue.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Return to the Lakes

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Verdant it surely is! Usual super high standard of pics - a visual delight! After 3 Dales outings I've more or less decided that my next outing will be in the LD.

But do watch your language.... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:56 pm

I agree with AK Anthony, another fine set of images taken on a good walk :clap: and I note that you managed to grab one of the more isolated Birkett's whilst around the area. BTW, I think a small contribution to the MRT swearbox wouldn't go amiss on this occasion JK :lol: :lol: Well done, a fine effort.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Verdant it surely is! Usual super high standard of pics - a visual delight! After 3 Dales outings I've more or less decided that my next outing will be in the LD.

But do watch your language.... :D

Many thanks AK, I look forward to the report. As a bricklayers son from a pit village my language can be a little rustic at times, must try harder :lol:

trailmasher wrote:I agree with AK Anthony, another fine set of images taken on a good walk :clap: and I note that you managed to grab one of the more isolated Birkett's whilst around the area. BTW, I think a small contribution to the MRT swearbox wouldn't go amiss on this occasion JK :lol: :lol: Well done, a fine effort.

Cheers TM, the MRT swearbox sounds a good idea :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby martin.h » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Lovely photos again JK, they show just how green and lush the Lake District is :D
I think we'll have to make a determined effort to get back up there soon now that things are getting better, its nice to see walk reports for the Lakes being posted :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm

martin.h wrote:Lovely photos again JK, they show just how green and lush the Lake District is :D
I think we'll have to make a determined effort to get back up there soon now that things are getting better, its nice to see walk reports for the Lakes being posted :D

Cheers

Cheers Martin, just go to a place that only appeals to hillwalkers and you should be fine.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dav2930 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Some fine, moody shots there. Just shows you don't need bright, sunny weather to get great pics. A good choice of lower fells to get your hill legs back after lockdown :) I found myself worryingly knackered after doing the humble Newlands round back in May. :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:59 pm

dav2930 wrote:Some fine, moody shots there. Just shows you don't need bright, sunny weather to get great pics. A good choice of lower fells to get your hill legs back after lockdown :) I found myself worryingly knackered after doing the humble Newlands round back in May. :roll:

Cheers Dav, I much prefer a good bit cloudage for pics :D I'm struggling with my hill fitness to be honest, I've had four hill walks since lockdown lifted and I'm still huffing and puffing too much. I think the problem is I normally get a good burst of walks around May that gets my legs going, unfortunately never happened this year :(
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland