walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Yet more Howgill wanderings

Yet more Howgill wanderings

Postby martin.h » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Date walked: 19/07/2020

Time taken: 3.25

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was our fourth visit to the Howgills in recent months, I suppose you can say we've been taking advantage of a
"good thing" and, as far as the weather is concerned, we've been pretty lucky too, today was no exception :D

Tops visited on our day out

Stwarth
Green Bell
Stockless
Randygill Top
Hooksey

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We've been travelling west to east on our visits and have been to the top of most of the named summits in the Howgills, this little route was one I'd looked at to start from Bowderdale until trailmasher bought to my attention a better start point from Weasedale, looking at the map, it made a lot of sense so this is how we got on and thanks to trailmasher for planting the seed :D :clap:

As suggested by trailmasher we parked up at the Y junction at NY697041, there is room for about three sensibly parked cars here but we saw alternatives along the way so, when busy?, it's not difficult to find a spot off the road.

ImageDSC04356 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04357 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04358 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We were soon on our way, the sun was shining and, apart from a cool breeze, it was warm.

We made our way back along the road to the junction at NY700042 and started up the footpath signposted for Green Bell.

ImageDSC04359 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

This is a well marked path on the ground, a bit soggy in places today, but easy enough to follow, it rises at a nice steady gradient, a really pleasant start to the day :D

The thing that we've become accustomed to in the Howgills is how quickly you can cover distance with little effort, very soon, Green Bell came into view.

ImageDSC04363 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04368 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Looking at the views to the North its a complete contrast to what's ahead, it looks quite flat and agricultural, I like this variation, a bit like calm and storm, if you know what I mean :lol:

ImageDSC04360 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04361 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04364 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04365 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

It took about an hour and a quarter from the car to the summit of Green Bell and it's not until you arrive that you start to get some nice views of the main Howgill fells, they maybe green lumps but they're good looking green lumps :D :lol:

ImageDSC04369 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04370 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04373 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

From the summit we could see the way ahead and, by Howgill standards, we knew that our next top, Randygill Top, was going to be a joy to walk to.

ImageDSC04374 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04375 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

After a quick snack we were on our way.

We met our first fellow walker on the way over, just a quick "hello, nice day" and we were on our way.
From Green Bell Randygill Top looked a fair way off but no, not really, we were soon taking our last steps to the cairn and the views were great.

ImageDSC04376 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04377 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04378 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04381 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Hooksey was next, from Randygill Top we descended to Leathgill Bridge, a land bridge between two dales but the descent itself is pretty steep.
Looking to Hooksey, the climb up looked steep, in reality it's not bad at all, we were soon on the summit.

ImageDSC04382 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04386 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The views from here are good, really nice lumpy hills and now we can say we've visited most of them :D

ImageDSC04383 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04388 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC04392 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageHooksey Panorama by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

From Hooksey it's a nice walk back to Weasedale over easy terrain. We headed for the farm buildings at Cow Bank,

ImageDSC04396 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Looking back

ImageDSC04399 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

once there, we picked up the metalled road back to the car.

Veerrry old farm building :lol:

ImageDSC04398 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

This was a nice short day in the hills, we set off at 8.30am and were back at the car before midday feeling like we'd done something, we like the Howgills and with a bit of friendly advice from other members on walkhighlands we are managing to plan routes away from the busier more frequented parts of these fantastic little hills :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Yet more Howgill wanderings

Postby trailmasher » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Nice one both, good pics and route on a really lovely sunny day :clap: and pleased that I was able to offer a bit of prior knowledge to a fellow WH'er. It's a great walk no matter which way round you take 8) Like you I've done most of 'em, just a couple on the south side to pick off from the Fairmile Road :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Looks a really fine short day, can't believe you missed out on the fantastically named Hunthoof pike, I'd have gone for the name alone. :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby martin.h » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:14 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one both, good pics and route on a really lovely sunny day :clap: and pleased that I was able to offer a bit of prior knowledge to a fellow WH'er. It's a great walk no matter which way round you take 8) Like you I've done most of 'em, just a couple on the south side to pick off from the Fairmile Road :)

Thank you TM
Yes I think we've another two or three visits (I'll make sure it's three :lol: ) to say we've visited all the tops, like you, we've enough to do for a decent day out from the Fairmile Road :D
Cheers.

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks a really fine short day, can't believe you missed out on the fantastically named Hunthoof pike, I'd have gone for the name alone. :lol:

Hi Anthony
:lol: Why we didn't visit it I don't know, we could see Hunthoof Pike on the way up, I think I must have fallen asleep :lol: Looking at the map, we can include it on a route I've got planned from your suggested start point on the Adamthwaite Road, it all adds to the fun :lol: :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland