walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Berwyns-Pistyll Rhaeadr

The Berwyns-Pistyll Rhaeadr

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cadair Berwyn, Cadair Bronwen, Moel Sych

Date walked: 03/05/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi everyone, hope you are having a nice holiday weekend. Yesterday was a first for me as we went to walk in the Berwyns, six of us began the wak on a nice sunny morning at Grid Ref. SJ 076 293 We headed off up the valley with great views of the splendid waterfall Pistyll Rhaeadr.
IMG_1302new.jpg
Pistyll Rhaeadr

Also we could see our first objective, the peak of Cadair Berwyn.
IMG_1311new.jpg
Cadair Berwyn, at 827metres

The Saturday Gang on the top of Cadair Berwyn, 827m.
IMG_1323new.jpg
Berwyn summit

Great view looking back to the tarn.
IMG_1324new.jpg
Llyn Lluncaws

Here I am joined at the Trig. Point by Commander Conroy and Seth, brought in to keep us girls in check :lol:
IMG_1328new.jpg
Berwyn trig point

Our next peak was a little distance away, here I am on Cadair Bronwen at 784 metres.
IMG_1334new.jpg
Cadair Bronwen summit

The last peak of the day was Moel Sych at 827 metres.
IMG_1343new.jpg
Summit of Moel Sych

After a bite to eat we ventured to the waterfall, Pistyll Rhaeadr, here again with Seth, we were lucky as a boy from North Wales he could tell us what the names meant, we had trouble pronouncing them!
IMG_1370new.jpg
Base of waterfall

The gang pose.
IMG_1384new.jpg
The Gang
IMG_1387new.jpg
Great photo opportunities

One last look back, what a great sight :D
IMG_1393new.jpg
Pistyll Rhaeadr

The walk took us 5 hours 45 minutes with breaks and was 10 miles in length, a great day in good weather. Next week we venture to the lakes and hope to take in the Coniston Fells, will keep you posted, stay safe, Sue :D :D :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: The Berwyns-Pistyll Rhaeadr

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 am

Good one. I know nothing about the Berwyns (and not that much about Wales :lol: ). The waterfall looks fantastic.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby susanmyatt » Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Paul, it was my first time to the area, to us in the Midlands it is a bit nearer than Snowdonia, still no good road though. I really liked the area and the hills were bigger than I expected, looking forward to the Lakes weekend but the weather looks dodgy, take care, Sue :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain tortoise » Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi Sue
that is my home area. Like the pics I never bother these days as I Hae been up so many times. We are in Scotland at the moment and the weather has been challenging to say the least.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 pm

That last photo's a beaut!
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello to you both, hard to take a poor photo of such a scene, sorry that the Scottish weather is poor, just packed ready to go to the Duddon Valley later, the weather was originally heavy rain but the latest forecast seems better. Whatever we should be doing the Coniston range as Grey Friar is right opposite the digs, sadly straight up :lol: Hope it is nice so I can get some good picks, take care all, happy walking :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Postby Hewin » Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 pm

I bought the Llangollen & Berwyn map and have a route planned there which takes in 8 Hewitts and is 29 miles in total. I asked my mate and he chickened out :lol: So we are off to do the final section of the Welsh 14 peaks tomorrow (and a few others). If your in the midlands (I'm in Shropshire) and you don't want to get over to the Snowdon range then I recommend the Arans if you haven't been. I did a 10 mile circuit which took in Aran Benllyn, Erw y Ddafad-ddu, Aran Fawddwy, Foel Hafod-fynydd and Esgeiriau Gwynion (including Foel Rhudd). I parked in the valley, I had to hop over a couple of fence and the route down from Erw y Ddafad-ddu and then from Foel Hafod-fynydd was pretty steep and bashed my toes a bit but it was a good day out.
Hewin

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:68
Wainwrights:11   

Postby canisp » Sat May 09, 2009 9:57 pm

mountain coward wrote:That last photo's a beaut!

I’ll second that :D

Its many years since i was down that way, i remember gorging myself on cream tea cakes :oops: after the walk in the tea shop at the end of the road, i wonder is the tea shop still there :?:
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby susanmyatt » Sun May 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Yep, its still there, refuelling the walkers :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland