walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wansfell / Baystones

Wansfell / Baystones

Postby Alan B » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Wansfell

Date walked: 16/07/2020

Time taken: 2.57

Distance: 10.1 km

Ascent: 367m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wansfell-1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Note re shown route. Did visit Baystones summit and shows ok on viewranger site but not when I add the file here. Not important but for future ref in case I doubt myself.

Visiting in-laws in the afternoon at Ulverston on our Keswick Reach stay. Planned Sour Howes & Sallows on the drive down but no reasonable parking available. Switched to Plan B as managed to get parked in Troutbeck near Robin Lane. Thought this was Nanny Lane to begin with, as we joined from a little side lane, so made the walk a bit longer than anticipated.

Joined Nanny Lane eventually, up to Baystones first, then back along the boggy ridge to the better views at Wansfell Pike. Dry and clear summit with good views down Lake Windermere.

Several horses with foals on near the path on the way down who galloped off when we passed. Got to Ulverston an hour late. Whoops.
Alan B

Munros:19   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland