walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scafell Pike again,this time with daughter & wife and views!

Scafell Pike again,this time with daughter & wife and views!

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Scafell Pike

Date walked: 03/08/2020

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 907m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Route:

RK_gpx _2020-08-03_1155.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Video Movie - all climb covered incl. some photos:

Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Scafell Pike again,this time with daughter & wife and vi

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

Wow, that looked pretty crowded up there for a Monday. Next time your in the lakes you should check out Ennerdale, it's much quieter. Nice video though, congrats :clap:
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby dav2930 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:17 pm

Enjoyed the video. Well done you guys for making the summit :clap: By 'eck that looked like a lot of folk going up there! I've noticed the Lakes seems more crowded than usual this summer - probably because fewer people are going abroad for their holidays. Looked a good day for it though with superb views. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Brings back memories of climbing the Pike, years back as a family when my daughter was a similar age, we got wet and saw nothing at all however :lol: so well done for picking such a good day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:01 am

Pointless Parasite wrote:Wow, that looked pretty crowded up there for a Monday. Next time your in the lakes you should check out Ennerdale, it's much quieter. Nice video though, congrats :clap:

Thank you :) Our target was Scafell Pike as my daughter wanted to climb the highest of England, my wife was not sure if she can climb up to the top so we chose this route. I'm usually enjoying summits for myself only with my very early starts, but in this case of family trip and long driving from home we expected the crowds, despite monday - still summer holidays and a lot of people new to the hills as not going to abroad this year, weather forecast was great as well. We enjoyed it, no worries too many people there :D Thanks for watching the video :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am

dav2930 wrote:Enjoyed the video. Well done you guys for making the summit :clap: By 'eck that looked like a lot of folk going up there! I've noticed the Lakes seems more crowded than usual this summer - probably because fewer people are going abroad for their holidays. Looked a good day for it though with superb views. :)

Thank you :) I was proud of my wife that she managed to get the summit as she had some moving issues before, Cheyenne got used the hills already so no worries about her, just hope she will continue to enjoy it :D :lol:
I think you are right about the crowds, no many people on abroad holidays this year so some of them discovering the brittish outdoors now. Forecast was really good for the monday and I was happy that it was even in real :D
Thanks for watching the video :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Brings back memories of climbing the Pike, years back as a family when my daughter was a similar age, we got wet and saw nothing at all however :lol: so well done for picking such a good day.

Thank you :) I was happy for the drier conditions and for the wide clear views so my daughter's and wife's effort was rewarded :D For me it was views from the summit for a first time from 4 times climbing Scafell Pike.
1st time in light rain, wet and fogy...2nd time just wet, no rain, clear bottom up to the boulders, then mist - no views from the summit...3rd time this January clear bottom, but snow, ice and misty-fogy top without any views, did not see even the way from Lingmell to Scafell Pike so happy I got the views for a first time there now :lol:
Thanks for watching the video :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Very nice film So glad to see that the appalling erosion on Brown Tongiue - which occurred before the new route to Hollow Stones was constructed - is beginning to heal. Slightly bemused that your wife while struggling across a beck was waving her pole in the air - rather than using it to assist :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:47 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Very nice film So glad to see that the appalling erosion on Brown Tongiue - which occurred before the new route to Hollow Stones was constructed - is beginning to heal. Slightly bemused that your wife while struggling across a beck was waving her pole in the air - rather than using it to assist :lol: :lol:

Thank you :) She wanted to show us how she is able to do it like me without the pole as I told her about the advantage of using it to assist :lol: Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed the film :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland