walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Latrigg

Latrigg

Postby Derek T » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Latrigg

Date walked: 13/02/2011

Time taken: 0.5

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 90m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Binsey was the third of four Wainwrights bagged on 13 Feb 2011.

My full day out is recorded in these threads:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After spending the morning getting soaked to the skin I decided to take the easy route to bag this rather boring little lump of grass. I parked at Gale Road car park, which is reached from the roundabout on the A66 or from the A591 heading towards Keswick from Carlisle by following the signs for Skiddaw.

Gale Road Car Park.jpg

From this car park the summit is just a short walk with an ascent of only 90m. I admit to feeling guilty about ticking this off with so little effort so will probably convince myself to do it again from Keswick one day.

Latrigg from Gale Road Car Park.jpg

Keswick and Derwentwater from Latrigg.jpg

Looking north from Latrigg.jpg

I had originally set out to bag Binsey, Dodd and Latrigg but found myself back at the car at 2pm with the rain drying up and the sun trying to break through the clouds. After surveying what I could see close by and after a quick check of the map I decide to head for Braithwaite to climb something else. The most ovious target with the daylight available being Barrow.
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Latrigg

Postby susanmyatt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Well done Derek, we once did Latrigg, Binsey and Gowbarrow Fell in one day. We did the round you were on about in your Barrow thread, Causey Pike, Scar, Sail, Outerside and Barrow with parking at Uzzicar, a good walk :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Derek T » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks, Susan.

Actually, when I was climbing onto the summit of Barrow I was walking towards a group of 6 or 7 people including a woman who, at first glance, looked remarkably familiar. I looked around for a couple of glammed-up blondes with sunglasses on but could only see middle-aged men so quickly realised that I hadn't bumped into you and your walking chums :lol:

maybe I'll see you up on the Fells one day ;-)

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby susanmyatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Hope so Derek, be sure to speak, it's always nice to have a chat and a breather, I am looking forward to getting back up the lakes :)
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland