walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"velvet curtains in sunlight", another Howgills experience.

"velvet curtains in sunlight", another Howgills experience.

Postby trailmasher » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Fell Head, The Calf

Date walked: 14/08/2020

Time taken: 3.52

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 739m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fell Head route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well, another Friday has come around and it’s the day that we leave the Lake District fells to others more akin to heavy traffic and swarms of visitors, so today it’s a walk in the western Howgills, that whole group of hills so aptly described as ‘a huddle of squatting elephants’, a description and phrase that was coined by that great wanderer of the district, Alfred Wainwright. His other, and lesser quoted descriptions that are rarely mentioned in relation to these magnificent fells ‘sleek and smooth’, ‘like velvet curtains in sunlight’, and ‘like silken drapes at sunset’ are a great depiction of what they are like at different times of the day and what that days conditions are like. I have walked on, and seen these hills in all seasons and weather conditions and can only agree with the above observations of these fells being sleek and smooth, as at times they appear to consist of varying shades of a green, brown, and grey mottled surface of folded and wrinkled fine textured cloth.

I used to work in London and on my way home, usually late evening on a Friday, it was with a feeling of great joy to see the Howgills just starting to appear as I drove along the M6 and as they unfolded before me it was sometimes a quite magical sight as they were clothed in red and orange from the setting sun and it was quite frustrating to not be able to stop and grab a few photos on these rare occasions that I saw them in such splendour. Although it was no less pleasurable to see them dressed in a coat of snow with their defining contours marking their way back into the distance.

But that was then and here we are now on a cloudy but sunny day, a hazy distance and a mild start at around 18°c with a cool breeze that saw us driving into Tebay and taking the A685 through Mount Pleasant on the Kendal road where a few minutes driving saw us at the southern tip of Jeffrey’s Mount where we turned left, sign posted Carlin Gill, under the M6 flyover and follow the narrow road to the sharp U turn at Carlin Gill where we passed below Gibbet Hill that back in the day the dangling occupants were a timely reminder of what was in store for miscreants leaving the Lune Gorge to enter the area of the Eden Valley and then a drive along the Roman legacy of Fairmile Road to where we would find our parking place at Fairmile Gate - SD62951 97998 - where there is plenty of room for a good few cars.

There was one other vehicle when we arrived, a mobile home with no sign of life and thinking that maybe they were still stuck to their mattresses we kept as quiet as we could although if out ‘camping’ you would think that an early rise would be the order of the day. Although the sun was warm there was a cool breeze and although we have quite a climb ahead of us we felt it prudent to fleece up for a while. The cloud was low over Fell Head and the other higher tops but we were certain that it would soon burn off as we progressed up the hill.

The first short stretch of path would have us going through a patch of bracken and follows, more or less, the line of Dry Gill to pass over its head just before the summit of Linghaw.

ImageFar White Stones and Linghaw background to the car park

ImageStart of the walk alongside Dry Gill

The path stretches into the distance, wide and obvious as we leave the easier slopes to the progressively steeper ones with no difficulties apart from the steepness and the loss of momentum that comes to a definite halt at times. At the first one at 322 metres and just above the field of bracken there is a decent view to the west towards both the Whinfell and Whinash hills behind the mast mounted on the summit of Dillicar Knott.

ImageWest towards Dillicar Knott-Grayrigg Pike and the M6 corridor

Looking up the ever lengthening fellside there is nothing to see but a winding path running through the rough grass.

ImageAscending Far White Stones

At nearly 400 metres there is a wide panorama to the south where it’s too hazy to pick out Morecombe Bay today and from where we could still see our car and the mobile home parked up.

ImageThe view south across the River Lune and M6

It was warm work on the climb up and layers were shed for now and as we reached the summit of Linghaw at 498 metres the next part of the climb appeared as we prepared to make the short descent to the col at the head of Small Gill one of the many feeders of Carlin Gill far below us. Before us lies the cloud covered western slopes of Blake Ridge with its northern ridge leading down to Little Ulgill Beck and the head of Black Force Waterfall.

ImageThe west face of Blake Ridge

Just peeping up behind the grassy top of Linghaw we could see the cloud covered tops to the north.

ImageNorth towards Uldale Head and Blakethwaite Bottom

ImageTaking a moment on Linghaw top

Typical of the Howgills is its broad expanse of grass devoid of any rocks or stones. Of course there are the odd exceptions where a small up thrust of rock can be found, Rispa Pike being one, and of those with cairns adorning the summits one has to admire the fortitude of those whose endeavours of collecting and transporting the material for these summit markers has to be admired.

South we have a different view of long sloping and rolling fell sides over to the long eastern ridges running down towards Sedbergh.

ImageSouth towards the lower Howgills and Sedbergh

The col is where we decided to have a break to top up on lost fluids.

ImageUldale Head from the head of Small Gill

A bit of a break did us good before embarking on this next climb up to the top of Blake Ridge before reaching the easy final slopes up to the summit of Fell Head.

ImageFinal climb to Fell Head summit

Looking back to Linghaw from the slopes of Blake Ridge.

ImageLinghaw

After more sweat loss after this latest climb the lower and subsidiary top and cairn came into view.

ImageFell Head from point 623

The views had opened up considerably by this time and Uldale Head and Blease Fell were the two prominent fells to the northwest.

ImageLooking northwest from point 623

Just a short stroll and short climb and we were on the actual summit of Fell Head at 640 metres.

ImageFell Head

There was low cloud hanging about in many places and the views were not that great from this top but one thing we could see was our next objective of The Calf barely discernible in the far distance with the cloud barely covering our route forward, a route that although easy enough could break the heart and spirit of many a person with the thoughts of having to do so much more after such a long climb has already been done.

ImageEast ridge to The Calf

But after getting to this point the going is easy with only the thoughts of the climb up Bush Howe to deter any ideas of continuing on. So gird the loins, straighten the back and carry on regardless along the long and easy track to the highest point of the Howgills, The Calf. It is now a lovely stroll over easy ground to Breaks Head at 638 metres so no big loss or gain in height as one strides out and within a few minutes we were taking in some of the great western slopes once again.

ImageSome western Howgills from Breaks Head

Soon enough the large grassy mound of Bush Howe appears beneath the low cloud.

ImageBush Howe ahead

We then soon arrived at Windscarth Wyke, a narrow strip of ridge with the head of West Grain on its north side and Crooked Ashmere Gills on the south side. To the east of West Grain there are the massive ridges of Cobles and Hazlegill Knott and a hazy Randygill Top on the far skyline.

ImageThe Cobles ridge with Hazlegill Knott behind

ImageBush Howe from Windscarth Wyke

ImageLangdale and Langdale Beck from Windscarth Wyke

We lingered just long enough to grab a couple of shots and what I wouldn’t give for clear views instead of this haze that has been with for so long recently and then we were off on this last of the steepish climbs along the good path to reach yet another cairnless summit.

ImageHazlegill Knott from Bush Howe

We now had The Calf firmly in our sights on the far distant skyline and it looks so, so, far away and over to the right is the ridge of White Fell Head that we take on our return journey back to the car, eventually.

ImageHeight of Bush Howe-White Fell Head-The Calf

The walking is good and we made good time to the gentle last uphill slope of the day...

ImageThe Calf

to find the white trig column surrounded by a crowd of likewise walkers who did move away to park themselves up looking south when we arrived leaving us to the trig column and views.

ImageThe way back to a distant Fell Head

I’ve never seen as many people in the Howgills on one day and it must be about a dozen that we have seen and spoken to so the great influx of visitors to the LD is obviously changing the choice of walking venues for many people with these obvious signs of more life on what were the quieter fells.

A few photos of the surrounding fells were taken before setting off for White Fell Head and the long descent back down to the metalled Howgill Lane and the walk back along same to the car park.

ImageNorth towards Simon's Seat and Randygill Top

ImageBram Rigg ridge-Brant Fell and Calders

We retraced our steps back to White Fell Head from where a look back gave us a decent view of The Calf and Bram Rigg Top.

ImageThe Calf and Bram Rigg Top

All we have to do now is to follow the good path down the long easy fellside and enjoy the far reaching, albeit hazy views with the motorway services feature of Killington Lake in clear view just short of the skyline. At 470 metres we decided to take a last rest and view stop before reaching the bottom.

ImageDescending White Fell Head

The waters of Long Rigg Beck soon come into view making its way down from Fell Head Scar to run below the feet of Brown Moor and Castley Knotts, two interesting hills that will need a closer look at in the next few weeks. Not big fells but I’m sure a decent walk can be made out of them if mixed up with a couple of the other local ones.

ImageBrown Moor and Castley Knotts

ImageBram Rigg's west ridge left with Seat Knott left of Castley Knotts

On the climb up to Fell Head we took a layer off due to raising a fair head of steam on the climb up, a layer that was put back on somewhere along the ridge between there and The Calf but now they have to come off again as it was so warm and humid dropping down to the beck.

ImageBram Rigg-Brant Fell-Calders above Arant Haw and Seat Knott

ImageLooking up to Fell Head Scar

From well down the ridge a look back gave a clear view of our way down.

ImageLooking back up to White Fell Head

We saw a walker on the far side of the beck and it looked like he may have made his way down from Fell Head Scar as there are signs of a wide path, maybe a quad bike track, dropping off the right hand side of Fell Head and like so many of these new paths/tracks is unmarked on the map.

Looking down on Long Rigg Beck gave us the feeling of a nice place as it winds its way through the confines of the surrounding fells and upon reaching it hadn’t told any lies as it’s a most enchanting spot with the slow easy run of the water with only the sound of it bubbling over the stony bed breaking what was the complete silence. This moment was priceless. The sun shining, the varying colours of these great fells and gullies between them containing the becks that flow down from on high to help fill Long Rigg Beck. The dying bracken and the coming into flower heather all helped to make this a most beautiful place to be.

We made it to the ford and crossed without incident to pick up the good track that rises easily out of the valley.

ImageLong Rigg Beck

ImageWhite Fell Head and Bram Rigg Top

ImageA view back along Long Rigg Beck

ImageSeat Knott

ImageBram Rigg Top to Calders skyline

ImageBram Rigg Top to White Fell Head skyline

The track out from the beck eventually put us through a gate and into a walled lane that we would follow all the way to a concrete lane to Castle How Farm.

ImageSeat Knott and Arant Haw

A little further on we passed Top Withens Farm just prior to meeting Howgill Lane right opposite the signposts for Appleby and Sedbergh where we turned right for the fairly long and hot walk along the road and also this bridleway marker that could indicate a good long linear walk through the Howgills to finish at either Gaisgill or Bowderdale Foot depending on which route one takes.

ImageLooks like a good walk

We now had roughly 2 kilometres of a walk on blacktop on a hot day and no shade and E got a bit tired, maybe dehydrated, on this bit of the walk but with a few stops and plenty of drinks she made it back to the car park alright.

ImageOld and new transport options

ImageFell ponies on the car park below Linghaw

One of the fell ponies was about to give himself a good scratch against my car just as we arrived but we managed to stop him in his tracks before he started or I may have had to replace a wing mirror, or worse.

Well this has been a bit of new ground for me, well all us really apart from me passing across from The Calf and the full ridge walk down to Carlin Gill a while ago. A new way up and down with a couple of lower tops chucked in had made for a good days walking in these beautiful fells. I shall certainly return to pick off some other likewise routes and new lower tops from this western side of the Howgills and with so many paths and tracks and many of them unmarked on the map the options are endless. It’s been a warm day with the temperature at 27°c on our return to the car and with no pub to call in at it was back to the old homestead for a couple of cold ones straight out of the fridge. Cheers.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: "velvet curtains in sunlight", another Howgills experien

Postby martin.h » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:19 pm

A lovely narrative of you're day in the Howgills TM, I could almost feel them looking at your photo's.

I'm planning our next day out, we're hoping to do some of the western ones, Winder, Arant Haw, Great Dummacks and back via Calders, just trying to work out the best place to park up, what's Howgill Lane like to park on around Birkhaw or would it be better to park up in Sedbergh?

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby trailmasher » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Martin, sorry to get back to you late but had family around and had to give them some attention for a change instead of chasing walks up :( There is a spot near Birkhaw just by the church with some considerate parking at SD63375 95037 with a suggestion of a small donation inside the church - if it's open just now due to Covid - and is a spot that I am starting a walk from during the next few weeks. Hope this helps and good luck with the walk.
Also thanks for your comments re this walk, much appreciated :D TM
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 pm

HI TM

Another great report.

I've only ever seen these hills whilst doing 70 (ish) on the M6 but I'm doing the Dales Way next month and I must be close to this as the track goes through Sedbergh. Looks like a really nice area to walk.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby trailmasher » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Gordie12 wrote:HI TM

Another great report.

I've only ever seen these hills whilst doing 70 (ish) on the M6 but I'm doing the Dales Way next month and I must be close to this as the track goes through Sedbergh. Looks like a really nice area to walk.

Thanks very much Gordie :D, it is indeed great walking country and you'll be passing below the western slopes with great views across the Lune Gorge. Hope the weather is kinder to you this time in the area and good luck with the walk 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 am

Looks like a beautiful idyllic wander in the Howgills, great report TM
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looks like a beautiful idyllic wander in the Howgills, great report TM

Thanks JK :D and definitely a great walk in the western part of the Howgills 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:39 pm

A lovely vicarious journey through some parts of the Howgills I haven't yet visited. Those repeating humps in steady green make for a rather dreamlike experience...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Alteknacker wrote:A lovely vicarious journey through some parts of the Howgills I haven't yet visited. Those repeating humps in steady green make for a rather dreamlike experience...

Yes AK a good swop from a walk in the LD during busy times and can recommend a visit to that neck of the Howgills and one that I plan to explore a little more in the future 8) Thanks for your comments :)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland