walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Around the Langden Valley (Bowland)

Around the Langden Valley (Bowland)

Postby Broggy1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:20 am

Date walked: 09/09/2020

Time taken: 3.1

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 1026m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Afternoon/evening walk in Bowland up the splendid Langden Brook valley and then later up to Harden Nab for the first time.

Cool wind, an odd bit of drizzle.

1 Helicopter.JPG
This helicopter was near the waterworks - not sure why!

2 Langden Brook.JPG
Langen Brook,'Castle' and the entrance to Bleadale

3 Fiendsdale.JPG
Heading into Fiendsdale. To access this a river fording is needed and it was hard today after all the rain - the access to Bleadale where I hoped to go later was impossible

4 Back through Fiendsdale.JPG
Looking back through upper Fiendsdale

4 F Head back to Whins Brow.JPG
Fiendsdale Head looking back at Whins Brow

5 Tough going.JPG
Really tough going in parts with the thin path overgrown and wet - but the path is always there!

6 Higher up Langden.JPG
Once back at the main path I turned left and followed the good track to its end higher up the Langden valley

7 Back over to Fiendsdale.JPG
Looking back over to Fiendsale and Within Clough

8 Down L Brook.JPG
Back down Langden

9 Langden again.JPG
Langden again from the higher path (as it gives better views) - nice heather today

10 Bulky Totridge from Hareden Nab.JPG
I'd wanted to extend the walk by walking through Bleadale a bit but the river crossings were just too deep today. So instead I used the bridge near the car park to follow the track up towards Hareden Nab - this petered out quickly but it was an easy enough bash to the high point to enjoy the view over to a bulky Totridge (the depression of Hareden not visible)

11 Trough of Bowland.JPG
Trough of Bowland from the descent off Hareden Nab
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland