walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Easiest munro in Knoydart

Easiest munro in Knoydart

Postby Michan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

in about 10 days 2 friends and i head off to glenfinnan to what would be the start off a little walk from there to Inverie and then take the ferry and train back to glenfinnan. However, since reports of a missing bridge we figured we just head out there, walk towards the carnoch bridge, see what's up and quite possibly (unless we feel it is absolutely safe and riskfree to cross) head back.

On the way we'd like to take at least one munro (depending on weather, visibility and fitness). I was thinking of Sgurr Thuilm, Sgurr nan Coireachan, Garbh Chioch Mohr or Sgurr na Ciche. I realise there are already topics about each of those and i've checked but sometimes just asking feels better. The two least in shape have both done a couple of munros (Ben Nevis, Ben Mor, Ben Lomond f.i.). The ridgewalk sounds great (Sgurr nan Coireachan, Garbh Chioch Mohr or Sgurr na Ciche) and Sgurr na ciche seems to be the one you'd want to do but the ascent after Sgurr na Ciche might be tricky?

Any (by munro standards) easy way up and down? Would love to hear experiences and suggestions from you all.

Happy hiking,

Mich
Michan
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Easiest munro in Knoydart

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:37 pm

The two easiest of these are probably S Thuilm and S N Coireachan. The Garbh Coires and Sgurrr na Ciche are wild and rough, though with no technical scrambling difficulties; which is probably a reasonable description for the whole of Knoydart!

All are a step up from the likes of Lomond, Nevis, Mor etc, as you'll encounter rough ground with few or no trace of tracks. However, the rewards of being in such places are high! With a sensible plan, including escape options, you should have a great time if the weather plays ball.

If you manage to get across the river near Carnoch, Meall Buidhe is relatively close to the Mam Meadail pass over towards Inverie, though it is an extremely steep slope from the top of the pass to the ridge. From the summit, its a reasonably straightforward descent westwards along the ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Michan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Mal Grey wrote:The two easiest of these are probably S Thuilm and S N Coireachan. The Garbh Coires and Sgurrr na Ciche are wild and rough, though with no technical scrambling difficulties; which is probably a reasonable description for the whole of Knoydart!

All are a step up from the likes of Lomond, Nevis, Mor etc, as you'll encounter rough ground with few or no trace of tracks. However, the rewards of being in such places are high! With a sensible plan, including escape options, you should have a great time if the weather plays ball.

If you manage to get across the river near Carnoch, Meall Buidhe is relatively close to the Mam Meadail pass over towards Inverie, though it is an extremely steep slope from the top of the pass to the ridge. From the summit, its a reasonably straightforward descent westwards along the ridge.

Much appreciated! I think SN Coireachan it will be. Also because of the ridgewalk possibility. I'll start planning some more:)
Michan
Scrambler

Postby walkingpoles » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:34 pm

You'll love it.

When planning, consider setting up a base camp somewhere for doing the munros. Some are quite rough and steep and a full pack won't help. We did it in a week, climbing 10 munros. They are not the most straightforward ones with pathless sections, but if you take care navigating and nobody is afraid of heights you should be OK. Turn back before it gets too hairy and check twice before you head along the wrong ridge. We climbed meall buidhe from the pass to Inverie but stashed our gear on the saddle. Check out the bothies. When the rain hits you sidewise, they might come in handy.

If you make it to Inverie I can recommend the hostel. If the owner of the pub hasn't changed, phone in beforehand to reserve a table or you might end up without food.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Michan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm

walkingpoles wrote:You'll love it.

When planning, consider setting up a base camp somewhere for doing the munros. Some are quite rough and steep and a full pack won't help. We did it in a week, climbing 10 munros. They are not the most straightforward ones with pathless sections, but if you take care navigating and nobody is afraid of heights you should be OK. Turn back before it gets too hairy and check twice before you head along the wrong ridge. We climbed meall buidhe from the pass to Inverie but stashed our gear on the saddle. Check out the bothies. When the rain hits you sidewise, they might come in handy.

If you make it to Inverie I can recommend the hostel. If the owner of the pub hasn't changed, phone in beforehand to reserve a table or you might end up without food.

Sounds good:) I was thinking about setting up a basecamp but right now i am more worried about the weather prediction (rain every day all day) so we might just stick to the woods, glens and bothies (Sourlies and achiell) if we really have to (which is fine as well:)).

I had heard about the need to reserve if we want a meal at the pub so i guess we will. Anyway, thanks again for the tips (a hostel might be nice after some days walking)!
Michan
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs