walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Munro bagging chat and post Covid walks

Munro bagging chat and post Covid walks

Postby johnedenparkin » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:15 pm

Well I have used this site many times over the years to assist with Munro walk plans and to generally keep up to date with stuff but have never posted a message. What is the world coming to?
Thought it might be an idea to see if I can get some chat going, keep the Munro bagging flame alive and maybe tee up some potential new walking friends for future bagging trips.
To date I have bagged 94 Munros so plenty to look forward to and I had two trips in September based at Bythewaytyndrum staying in my campervan with doggy friend. Had planned to do another six before the end of the year but...... Based in Newcastle and now rightly banned from crossing the border. The last Munro's bagged were Ben Cruachan and it's neighbour. Plan to do the adjacent pair on my next trip then plenty to do in Glencoe.
Difficult to plan ahead obviously at the moment but need to at least think about it to stay sane. Beyond my Munro bagging I have a passion for the Isle of Rum and as an MBA member very much look forward to a return bothying trip there. Been ten times or more over the long term and love it.
Happy to hopefully stimulate some chat and potentially make some new walking contacts.

John
IMG_20201017_114519.jpg
johnedenparkin
Munro compleatist

Munros:144   Corbetts:2

Re: Munro bagging chat and post Covid walks

Postby Dai S » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:30 pm

I am recently retired and have plans of adding more Munros to my "tick list". I had to cancel a trip I had in mind to do some of the Crianlarich Munros just as I retired beginning of November, however the lockdown scuppered that ! I am based close to Newcastle and would be up for adding some more Munros to my total. Not too convinced about bothy life, but accept that some of the hills may need a stay in bothies.
Regards David.
Dai S
Stravaiging

Munros:149   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:106   

Postby johnedenparkin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi David and sounds like we are in similar positions.
Once travel is open maybe we can meet up sometime. I'll keep you posted on my plans. I have a flexible life so tend to take off at quite short notice to catch decent weather slots.
In the meantime I'll keep dog walking at the coast and in Northumberland.
johnedenparkin
Munro compleatist

Postby Dai S » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:27 pm

johnedenparkin wrote:Hi David and sounds like we are in similar positions.
Once travel is open maybe we can meet up sometime. I'll keep you posted on my plans. I have a flexible life so tend to take off at quite short notice to catch decent weather slots.
In the meantime I'll keep dog walking at the coast and in Northumberland.

Sounds like a plan, we'll keep in touch and hopefully get out locally when the rules are relaxed. I have done little walking locally most of my walking has been in The Lakes ,Scotland,Yorkshire, and The Peak District.
Have a good Christmas and stay safe.
Regards
Dai S
Stravaiging

Munros:149   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:106   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 am

I am based in Finland. I started Munros about 2 years ago, making 4 trips to Scotland and bagging 56 Munros.

I had 2 trips planned for 2020 but both were postponed until 2021 due to Cov-id. All the logistical arrangements take time and coordination but the; airlines, accommodation, car rental, guided walks etc were all very flexible and allowed re-booking. I didn't lose too much money.

Now my plans are for 10 days in May and 20 days in July.

I have outlined walks covering about 60 Munros but on past experience the actual amount ends up to be 50% of those planned. As the trips are so far in advance l am are the mercy of the weather and some days l just fancy a day off :roll:

Looking forward to it but with the latest surge in cases, l suspect, at least May, will be postponed again :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby johnedenparkin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Yep, not looking good for a trip up north anytime soon! Probably heading for tighter lockdown.
Can't really see a way forward until Easter or beyond the way things are going so plenty time to plan routes and think about it.
Stay safe in the meantime.
Attachments
IMG_20201013_123506.jpg
johnedenparkin
Munro compleatist

Re: Munro bagging chat and post Covid walks May 10th, 2021

Postby johnedenparkin » Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Well the time has come at last!
Booked campervan into Bytheway Tyndrum arriving on Monday 10th May for a week, at least.
Got several routes plotted in the area. Largely all in the wider Glencoe area.
More details can be provided for anyone looking for company next week.
Together with my dog, hope to build on my current 94 Munro total and break the century.
johnedenparkin
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 06, 2021 5:26 pm

Hope you have a great trip!

There is a bit of fresh snow on the hills just now, but I expect it will be mostly gone by the time you arrive next week. There is still likely to be old snow hanging on in a few places, such as the head of Coire na Tulaich on Buachaille Etive Mor, and the head of the Lost Valley on Bidean, which need care (or, perhaps better, avoiding) if you are not carrying winter gear.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs