walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Larig Ghru, mid July

Larig Ghru, mid July

Postby Imperial » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 pm

Hello there,
I am a new member here and would welcome some information from people with more experience than me!

In July (travel restrictions permitting) a friend and I will be walking the Larig Ghru. Out plan is to walk north to south. Our plan is to leave our vehicle at the Linn of Dee car park and then somehow get to Rothiemurchus forest for the start.

Our ideal plan would be a very early dawn start, so we have the entire day, plenty of daylight and do not have to rush.

However, this will mean attempting to get from Linn Of Dee to arrive at Rothiemurchus at 4am ish.

Any suggestions? An obvious one is for us to hire a car for 24 hours and leave a car at either end. But I was wondering if there are local shuttles/taxis/people also doing the route that are viable alternatives.

Any advice would be most welcome.

thanks a lot.
Imperial
Walker

Re: Larig Ghru, mid July

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:38 pm

Unfortunately there is no public transport between the two areas, and hitch-hiking in a pandemic is unlikely to be productive. Get adventurous and take camping kit; or just sleeping bags and doss under big rock shelters at the top of Loch Avon - go via Glen Lui and Glen Derry to Loch Etchachan and over to Loch Avon, then over the hill to Glen More or the Cairngorm Ski area, thus over by the Chalamain Gap to the start of the Lairig Ghru, back eastward through the Lairig Grhu and over the shoulder of Cairn a Mhaim to Derry Lodge and back down the track to the car park at Linn O' Dee. All very impressive scenery and interesting terrain. Do not go via the Chest O'Dee and River Dee from Corrour to Linn O'Dee, as this is a vast, flat, dreary trudge of no interest which will sap your will to live until you collapse, footsore and weary, by the wayside, begging a passing deer stalker to put an end to your misery with a bullet in the brain. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Imperial » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info, but camping will not solve the problem unless I walk it both ways! Still need to get back to the car!

Our car will be at one end of the walk and we need to get to the other. So the common sense (at least to me!) plan would be to arrive at the car after the 10+ hour walk rather than dealing with the hassle of finishing the walk then having to get back to the car.

This still leaves the issue of getting from the car to the start of the walk. It seems hiring a car is the only sensible option?

The details of the route and sights is another question entirely, for another day, but I your ideas are welcomed.
Imperial
Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:42 am

Imperial wrote:Thanks for the info, but camping will not solve the problem unless I walk it both ways! Still need to get back to the car! Our car will be at one end of the walk and we need to get to the other. So the common sense (at least to me!) plan would be to arrive at the car after the 10+ hour walk rather than dealing with the hassle of finishing the walk then having to get back to the car.
This still leaves the issue of getting from the car to the start of the walk. It seems hiring a car is the only sensible option?

That is exacty what I meant - walk both ways. On the way in, leave your car at Linn O'Dee car park, walk up Glen Lui to Derry Lodge, then head up Glen Derry to Etchachan, over to Loch Avon, (or skirt around the top of the cliffs above Loch Avon) over to the ski areas of Cairn Gorm, across to the Chalamain Gap, then back towards Linn O'Dee via the Lairig Ghru.

Cairngorm Circuit#1.jpg
Cairngorm Circuit from Linn O'Dee #1

Cairngorm Circuit#4.jpg
Linn O'Dee car park, up to Glen Lui

Cairngorm Circuit#5.jpg
Glen Lui to Derry Lodge, turn right up Glen Derry

Cairngorm Circuit#3.jpg
Up Glen Derry , turn left up to Loch Etchachan

Cairngorm Circuit#2.jpg
Past the head of Loch Avon, over the hill to the ski area of Cairn Gorm itself

Cairngorm Circuit#2.jpg
Descend past the ski areas, across to Chalamain Gap, on to Lairig Ghru and turn left back towards Braemar

Cairngorm Circuit#3.jpg
All the way back along the Lairig Ghru, over the shoulddeer of Carn a'Mhaim towards Derry Lodge again

Cairngorm Circuit#5.jpg
Reach Derry Lodge, join the track back down Glen Lui to the Linn O'Dee car park again.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Scottk » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 pm

It’s a lovely route and you can save some time taking a bike into Derry Lodge. The climb up to Loch Etchachan and Coire Raibert will be the steepest parts of the route. A great overnighter.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs