walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Walking Buddy - Ben Nevis Winter

Walking Buddy - Ben Nevis Winter

Postby casey2021 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing Ben Nevis this winter. Is anyone interested in doing it with me?
casey2021
Mountain Walker

Re: Walking Buddy - Ben Nevis Winter

Postby jmarkb » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:26 pm

Welcome to WH!

I think you are more likely to get a positive response to this if you say more about your hill-walking experience (both summer and winter - do you know how to use axe and crampons?) and what your motivation is (are you looking to get into winter hillwalking more generally, or is this a one-off ambition you would like to fulfil?).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby casey2021 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi Jmarkb,

Thanks for the reply. Good call 😊. I did the 3 peaks a few months ago, and have been hiking near loch Lomond. I'm fit and would like to do many more hikes, including winter hikes, and this would be my first of many I hope, so in terms of experience with crampons and ice axe usage I don't have any. This would be my taster for Mont Blanc next year.
casey2021
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:01 pm

In that case, my advice would be to hire a guide who will provide the gear and also give you some instruction in axe and crampon use, which will stand you in good stead for adventures in bigger mountains.

However, I'd also encourage you to think about getting into hillwalking/mountaineering in a broader sense than just ticking off famous honeypot summits like Ben Nevis and Mont Blanc - they will be much more rewarding if you take the time to build up the skills and experience so that you can safely plan and do them without relying on just being taken up them.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby casey2021 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:10 pm

Thanks for the good advice Jmarkb
casey2021
Mountain Walker

Postby JohnS123 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi, I'm looking for a buddy too. Similar experience. I've done bits of climbing and am currently doing grade 3 scrambles to get fit for alpine conditions using axes and crampons for first time. I'm fit and sensible. Love the north face of Ben Nevis. Like wild camping, fire and food. Call if you want. I'm in Newcastle 07723300684
JohnS123
Mountaineer

Postby Jonny Stubbs » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi.

In the next few weeks / months I'm keen to revisit the 3 sisters of glencoe and I'm also really wanting to return to the cuillin ridge where I've previously enjoyed gaining 7 of the 11 munroes I'd hoped to bag.

Really happy to go in extreme conditions with all the required kit, fitness and respect.

Any of the routes up the north face of ben nevis are of interest especiall;y if castle, tower and ridge are of interest to you CMD is great too and I'd like to do that in extreme winter conditions.

drop message or. text 07723300684

John
Jonny Stubbs

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:26 am

casey2021 wrote:Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing Ben Nevis this winter. Is anyone interested in doing it with me?

quote="casey2021"]Hi Jmarkb,Thanks for the reply. Good call 😊. I did the 3 peaks a few months ago, and have been hiking near loch Lomond. I'm fit and would like to do many more hikes, including winter hikes, and this would be my first of many I hope, so in terms of experience with crampons and ice axe usage I don't have any. This would be my taster for Mont Blanc next year.[/quote]

JohnS123 wrote:Hi, I'm looking for a buddy too. Similar experience. I've done bits of climbing and am currently doing grade 3 scrambles to get fit for alpine conditions using axes and crampons for first time. I'm fit and sensible. Love the north face of Ben Nevis. Like wild camping, fire and food. Call if you want. I'm in Newcastle 07723300684

Jonny Stubbs wrote:Hi. In the next few weeks / months I'm keen to revisit the 3 sisters of glencoe and I'm also really wanting to return to the cuillin ridge where I've previously enjoyed gaining 7 of the 11 munroes I'd hoped to bag. Really happy to go in extreme conditions with all the required kit, fitness and respect. Any of the routes up the north face of ben nevis are of interest especiall;y if castle, tower and ridge are of interest to you CMD is great too and I'd like to do that in extreme winter conditions. drop message or. text 07723300684 John

Doesn't it occur to you that you should learn first, then try the difficult options? You need to serve your apprenticeship first, learn the skills required. This is NOT something you can do just by buying the equipment and heading for the hardest routes. You will get killed, or others will get killed trying to save you.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs