walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Compleation party. An Teallach new date Aug 14th 2022

Compleation party. An Teallach new date Aug 14th 2022

Postby KeithS » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 pm

Hello.

The time has now come for me to take the plunge and compleat. Over more than 40 years I have climbed all but one of the Munros, many on my own but also many with friends and family, including quite a few members of the Walkhighlands community, and others of you may have read about some of my exploits, some with my dearly departed friend and companion, Bear.

For a number of reasons I have chosen Bidean a' Ghlas Thuill on An Teallach to be my completion Munro. It is a stunning mountain and it is directly in front of my house so I see it every day when I am in Laide in all it's different forms, weather permitting of course. I have climbed Sgurr Fiona a couple of times already but have left Bidean a' Ghlas Thuill unsummited, although I have skirted round it and been on a few of it's tops. It is therefore convenient to hold a party following compleation. Also, as I have climbed all the others, I have no choice now but for it to be my final one.

I have chosen 25th/26th June 2022 *see below* for a number of reasons. It is exactly 15000 days after my first Munro, in June 1981. It is a good time of the year with a chance of good weather (I know, never guaranteed but at least a chance) and there will be no shortage of daylight.

I am therefore making enquiries as to who would like to join me to help me celebrate this event. I will not have room inside my house to put people up as all the rooms are already committed, but there will be room for tents in the garden and there is the Gruinard Bay campsite just a couple of hundred yards away (I have warned them!) along with limited (very limited) B&B accommodation nearby.

Depending on numbers I will try to put some food on but the garden is plenty big enough for barbecues (not open fires).

At this time I am just trying to get an indication as to numbers and would be pleased to hear how many would be interested. You can either answer on this post or PM me.

Obviously there could be issues with COVID, no one knows what the situation will be but we shall have to wait and see.

Unfortunately I do have to go in for an operation next week to have something removed from my upper leg which shouldn't be growing there but I have been assured by my surgeon that I should be fit enough by June for this. He is a keen walker himself and knows how important this is for me. It is another reason that I am wanting to get this compleation done sooner rather than later. You can always carry me up to the top if necessary!

All the best to everyone, please let me know what interest there is.

Keith

I have decided to move the date a little later as it gives me a little more recovery time and also should be a little more convenient for others. I have now opted for August 14.
Last edited by KeithS on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Re: Compleation party. An Teallach 25th/26th June 2022

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:20 pm

Hi Keith,

This was sounding all good to me until the bit about carrying you to the summit and then I remembered I might have other things on that weekend! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd love to be considered as a "definitely maybe" for this. I will have to commence diplomatic negotiations first though before I can confirm anything. Leave it with me sir! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Compleation party. An Teallach new date Aug 14th 2022

Postby nathan79 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:33 pm

The completion beckons at last!

Not 100% sure what my shifts will be then, but as it stands at the moment this handily falls on my long weekend so I'm hopeful of making this.

Fingers crossed all goes well with the op and recovery.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi Keith.

Well, it's over 2 years since I moved to the Highlands so probably time I got round to climbing a hill :wink: .

Seana won't know until much nearer the time, but I should manage to squeeze this into my busy schedule...

Dougie
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Through the op now and recovering at home (minus one sarcoma - hopefully permanently). Even managed about 10 paces today (that's 10 more than yesterday) so recovery has started. Have been assured I will be fine by August so no carrying up hills should be needed!

I really hope you guys can make it, planning is helping recovery, I will update when necessary but have settled on Aug 14th so keep the date.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:25 pm

Good news Keith. Glad to hear you're on the mend. August 14th is a Sunday, is that right?
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby KeithS » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:46 am

One month to go now so thought I would confirm arrangements.

The date is confirmed as Sunday 14th August. I have recovered well from the operation and, so far, no follow up is required. I haven't managed to do quite as much walking as hoped so fitness levels are not quite up to normal but should be fine for this. Adrenaline and determination will hopefully prevail and get me to the top, I am sure no carrying will be required.

There are about 15 people confirmed so far but I would be delighted if anyone else would like to come along to join us, there will be a party with food at my house afterwards, please PM me for details if you are interested.

Keeping fingers crossed for the weather. It has been really cold and windy here for nearly the whole of last month so it can only get better....surely.

Please let me know if you are interested, I will need to update my catering manager (haha)
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 pm

We will be meeting up at 8.45am on Sunday morning at the layby/car park a few hundred yards south of the Dundonnell Hotel. If anyone else is interesting in joining us please feel free to come along.
Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs