walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

How to meet other young folk into hills?

How to meet other young folk into hills?

Postby 12345six » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 am

I'm 22, and would really like to meet more people my age to do hillwalks with
I have reached that post-university stage in life where any club or group I join is full of older folk who are married/have kids/etc
Since i'm past uni now I can't meet people through things like unions or societies, which is probably the most popular way for younger people network with their hobbies these days

I've met folk in bothies, through facebook, through online communities (like WH) but they're really few and far between and it's usually the same people overlapping with meetups

Oh yeah, and this is an open invitation if anyone would like to meet, i'm down for anything /outdoors/
12345six

Re: How to meet other young folk into hills?

Postby MRG1 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:01 am

I'm not sure where you are but the Rambler's run a few "young Rambler's" groups, I know there's one out of Glasgow.
I'm of the older variant of hillwalker but I found multiple people within my Rambler's group that I have gone on to do hillwalks with.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby JWCW2014 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:10 am

I was about to claim myself as young (mid 30s) but not sure I can quite do that anymore!

Unsure where in the country you’re based but as suggested above there are usually ramblers groups or mountaineering clubs some of which have specific groups or meet ups for younger folk, that might be a good start?
JWCW2014
Walker

Munros:91   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1+0
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:11

Postby Brodier54 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:09 am

I was in your boat at the start of the year, post uni but wanting to hike with folk of a similar age. If you're in the Glasgow area the club I'm in Clyde mountaineering club https://clydemc.org/. They are pitched at folk in their 20s and 30s (I'm 25 for context).

There is also the Ramblers 'Glasgow Young Walkers' which I went along on a few meets with, their membership is a wee bit older and they do more of a mix of hills and low level walks which wasn't for me but it could be what you're looking for. The Ramblers also have 'young' clubs dotted about Scotland if you're not near Glasgow. There's also the Scottish Outdoor Young Team who operate across the country so that could be worth a look.
Brodier54
Munro compleatist

Munros:109   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs