walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Liathach end of May!!!

Liathach end of May!!!

Postby starrynights » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi there, hope everyone has recovered from too many drams over christmas and the new year. 8)

After nearly a year, on and off, of illness, with only a few trips into the hills, I'm looking forward to catching up this year ... big time :)

I'm staying over on the West Coast for a few days end of May and I'd love to do the hill I've been dreaming of ever since I saw it. I think four months is plenty of time to get my fitness back, being self-employed I can put in a lot of walking, cycling, kayaking, swimming ... phew!!! between now and then, so have no worries I'll be ready for it by May. I don't particularly want to go it alone though, and my previous walking partner is no longer around. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in coming along. I could provide lunch (have been known as sandwich queen if that helps :D ) bribery, tsk!!. I've done a fair few munros, so I'm not a novice, I just would prefer some company to share my dream hill.

Cheers all and Happy New Year.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Re: Liathach end of May!!!

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Its a trip I have on my agenda for this year anyway, but would depend when in May (I only get off every 2nd weekend and do not know my annual leave dates for the year yet). I do, however, get a day off each midweek so could arrange it around walking...if I knew when it was likely to be??

Have not done it before but have a fair few Munro's under my belt...
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby starrynights » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi there, js66621 (hope that's not your inmate number tattoed in your ear - my dogs have those :lol: ). I will check the dates and put them on here tomorrow. I'm staying for four days in a cottage, but to be honest it doesn't have to be during that weekend. I live just south of Loch Ness so I could fit in with your dates when you find them out. Just would have been nice to have a short trip back to the cottage with a home made lasagne ready to munch. Yum. Cheers.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:31 am

I'm up for this one but only in good weather!
I'm local too, so ready to go for it whenever the weather dictates ( weekends best for me) :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Liathach is not that hard to do. But its a cracker keep for a good day. I will let you know nearer the time i might come. Its close to home for me
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby starrynights » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Seems like the weather is going to be the deciding factor for this walk. I'm over that way for four days (poss a week now) from the 24th May, but as I live only 20 miles from Inverness, I'm quite happy to do it any time middle to end of May. (need to make sure I'm up for it fitness wise). If anyone wants to set a possible flexible date - then we can see how things are nearer the time. Looking forward to it. Cheers all.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:13 pm

You dont need to be mega fit today it. It quite a short walk. I did it a few month ago. Managed it in 4 hours car to car. Best way to do it is. East to west. Then instead of decending and having to walk back along the road. I would suggest. Go back over the ridge west to east and decend the way you come up. Its that good a hill. You will want to stay up on the ridge for as long as poss
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby starrynights » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 pm

So glad you said that Rocket-ron :) The one thing about walking in groups is those that want to linger and those that want to dash back down again. I'm a lingerer :lol: In fact my dream is to camp up there - but need to check it out for suitable spots first. And weather conditions - need my starry nights. Re my fitness level - I'm not trying for 2012 standards - but have had a year of annoying illnesses - been a real stamina sapper. Wouldn't want to hold anyone up. Starting to get excited now tho - I love having a goal to work to. :thumbup:
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Count me in assuming I can make it too :D

Cracker of a hill and has been said save for a good day. Added bonus if i come, you won't hold me up !

Scoob hasn't done this one either was talking about it today.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby starrynights » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 am

That's great news Spider :-) ... Probably start confirming possible dates and meet up arrangements beginning of May, have a better idea of the weather conditions and availability by then. I like rocket rons idea of coming back along the ridge again rather than the road. What do you all think?
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I could be up for this - I am on-call week commencing the 28th so the weekend before (i'd probably take the Friday off) might be good for me.

Kev
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jstalker66621 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Have checked my roster and Im off 26th and 27th May...hope that suits others??
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Am happy 2 go with either off that days. But cant defo confirm till nearer the date
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:54 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Liathach is not that hard to do. But its a cracker keep for a good day. I will let you know nearer the time i might come. Its close to home for me

Aye for you maybe,but for us mear mortals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Anyway,maybe up for this,but will need to wait till nearer the time
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby matt_18 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I would be up for this, if you can all handle a slightly less experienced tag along?! Although I am due to do the Skye munro's in April so I should be better adapted to the more tricky stuff by then. I can pretty much make whatever day with a week or two's notice.

Thanks!
matt_18
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs