walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

In Edinburgh and lacking transport to the hills

In Edinburgh and lacking transport to the hills

Postby kaputnik » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:38 am

First time posting here, thought I might as well stop lurking silently and repay all those excellent maps and yomps I've got my hands on for nothing.

I've only been scalind Munros since February, but I'm fit(ish), keen and take my preparations seriously. I also don't whinge when I'm cold and the rain has got through the waterproof to my undercrackers.

I'm based in Edinburgh and because I can't drive (never bothered to learn) and my walking buddies have headed darn sarf, I find that I can now only look longingly at the hills in the distance and my heels are itching to get back above the 3,000ft level.

If anyone heading up some munros one saturday or sunday and wouldn't mind me tagging along in their passenger seat then I'd be ever so greatful and I'd see you right for petrol money and even carry your sandwiches to the top. I could also do with some lessons in poor weather navigation from a more experienced hand - it's bloody hard trying to learn from a book up in the clouds and rain!
kaputnik

Munros:26   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: In Edinburgh and lacking transport to the hills

Postby munrowalker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm not based in Edinburgh, out in Bathgate but if you were able to get out to Bathgate for 6am/ 7am starts I'd be happy for you to tag along. I walk with a couple of mates who I meet along the way, so happy for more to tag along.

Our walking speed pretty much matches the times on the walk routes here, and ideally if you can do that would be better for all of us.

Having said that its nearly end of season as was up 2 Munros today and snow has really kicked in so not going out much longer this year!
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kaputnik » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for getting back to me - realise the season is pretty much over for those of us without iceaxes and crampons - I figured I best start planning for next year so I'll keep my eye on the board!

I do a lot of cycling, so have pretty good stamina and ability to keep on going uphill till you can't go any further - would appreciate going out with older hands who could set the pace!

I'm sure I could use my imagination and get myself to bathgate somehow or another, it's not outwith the bounds of reason.
kaputnik

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Alternatively, see post about 5 below this one...
mountain coward

Postby sloosh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 am

mountain coward wrote:Alternatively, see post about 5 below this one...

Scratched my head for a minute there. you mean this one: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=882
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby munrowalker » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 pm

kaputnik wrote:Thanks for getting back to me - realise the season is pretty much over for those of us without iceaxes and crampons - I figured I best start planning for next year so I'll keep my eye on the board!

I do a lot of cycling, so have pretty good stamina and ability to keep on going uphill till you can't go any further - would appreciate going out with older hands who could set the pace!

I'm sure I could use my imagination and get myself to bathgate somehow or another, it's not outwith the bounds of reason.

No worries, reckon next weekend will be my last trip this year. I'll have hit my target of 70 as I'm figuring on doing 70 a year, so will probably me march before ¬I'm back out on the hills, so feel free to get in touch then and we can see whats what.
munrowalker

Munros:163   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby kaputnik » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:18 am

and you never no I might pull the finger out and learn to drive between now and then and could reciprocate the favour. Stranger things have happened as a result of new years resolutions. I made it up my first Munro, for a start!
kaputnik

Postby mountain coward » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:24 am

sloosh wrote:
mountain coward wrote:Alternatively, see post about 5 below this one...

Scratched my head for a minute there. you mean this one: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=882

The one called 'Walking Partner in Edinburgh with a Car'
mountain coward

Postby Salahuddin » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi, I live in Edinburgh and i do many walks, doing 2 walks in spring but they are part of a bigger trip (includes Norway and Iceland) but i will definitely keep you in mind for 2010 summer (after exams and stuff :lol: ) and give you a shout since i struggle to find partners for walks. :(
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs