walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Ben Nevis 13 Sep

Ben Nevis 13 Sep

Postby bairnsdalebulls » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 am

Hi, I am about to embark on my first trip to Scotland . I will be having a go at Ben Nevis on this day. Anybody care to join a 55yo for a walk. Jenny
bairnsdalebulls

Re: Ben Nevis 13 Sep

Postby welshwalker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi, which way up were you planning?
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Postby bairnsdalebulls » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:10 pm

welshwalker wrote:Hi, which way up were you planning?

Willing to give anything a go
But not confident in my navigation skills
bairnsdalebulls

Postby welshwalker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi there, I would like to go via the CMD arête, this is a route that involves exposure for a section between the two munros.
welshwalker

Postby bairnsdalebulls » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:07 pm

To be honest I suspect this might be beyond me. I'm fit can run a marathon but have no experience in hill climbing and scrambling. Will take you advice cheers jenny
bairnsdalebulls

Postby welshwalker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Jenny,

I think the arete would not be a good option if you haven't experienced exposure before. It is the way I am hoping to go up this time. Couple of things for going up:

If you are driving there, the car park at the bottom of the walk most folk would use will charge you, £3.50 for the day I think so it's good to have change.
The route up is pretty obvious, although once you get to the top, in bad viz it can be a little dangerous. Once the path gets less steep at the top, there are a series of large cairns which mark the way toward the summit plateau.
On the plateau itself, it is important to take good compass bearings in bad viz, the reason for this is that there are some pretty big drops. In good viz, it is obvious.

If you are going up with a good forecast, I personally would take a break if you are uncomfortable with poor viz toward the top if it looks like it will improve.

I have done a lot of long distance running myself, I think you would agree it is easier to avoid the mid day sun and Nevis is the same.

I hope that you find someone to go up with, if you do end up going up alone there are a lot of people who do.

Cheers

Greg
welshwalker

Postby bigspender » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm hoping to do these hills and the Aonachs the last weekend in September and my preferred route would be CMD and the arete to Ben Nevis if you're interested.
bigspender
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   

Postby scoob999 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am

Maybe somebody can confirm this, but i think there is a bypass path below the ridge itself?
I cant remember, i was having to much fun :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Don't ask me.. It was covered in sna when I did it.. :)

I would say though, that it isnt so tricky that an inexperienced person couldnie manage it though.. :roll:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:56 pm

scoob999 wrote:Maybe somebody can confirm this, but i think there is a bypass path below the ridge itself?
I cant remember, i was having to much fun :lol:

Yes, nearly all of it can be bypassed.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby bairnsdalebulls » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:45 pm

welshwalker wrote:Hi Jenny,

I think the arete would not be a good option if you haven't experienced exposure before. It is the way I am hoping to go up this time. Couple of things for going up:

If you are driving there, the car park at the bottom of the walk most folk would use will charge you, £3.50 for the day I think so it's good to have change.
The route up is pretty obvious, although once you get to the top, in bad viz it can be a little dangerous. Once the path gets less steep at the top, there are a series of large cairns which mark the way toward the summit plateau.
On the plateau itself, it is important to take good compass bearings in bad viz, the reason for this is that there are some pretty big drops. In good viz, it is obvious.

If you are going up with a good forecast, I personally would take a break if you are uncomfortable with poor viz toward the top if it looks like it will improve.

I have done a lot of long distance running myself, I think you would agree it is easier to avoid the mid day sun and Nevis is the same.

I hope that you find someone to go up with, if you do end up going up alone there are a lot of people who do.

Cheers

Greg
bairnsdalebulls

Postby Fudgie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 pm

If you're still planning to do this then there's snow on the top. I saw it today from Corrour.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs