walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi There, I'm off to lovely Derbyshire at Xmas time. Can anyone advise of a good winter walk in the area?
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Re: Derbyshire

Postby EdwardMS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi there,

The only places you will get reliable winter conditions will be on the Kinder Plateau or on Bleaklow (and its surrounding moors). There are some super days out to be had. If you let me know more of the sort of walk you are after I will gladly try and give you some recomendations.
EdwardMS
Stravaiging

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Donalds:2
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:72   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for the reply Edward,i'm looking for a decent day out with a bit variety of conditions. Not looking for a climb as yet.

Calum
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby stomper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm

It all depends on which part of Derbyshire you are going to as it's quite a big place. For walking wise i always go in the High peak District any where near the Ladybower area. There you have some great walking (Derwent Edge, Howden Edge, Alport Castles, and for a great view Winhill pike) You also have great walks round Castleton, Bakewell, and Hathersage. If you qwant to go high and do a great walk then there is THE KINDER ROUND roughly a6/7hr walk. Any other advice you want i can give as i go quite alot in Peak District
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks Stomper :clap: , I was thinking of Kinder Round as I did this last year on a glorious summer day but it may be a bit long for a winter day out. I was thinking of Stanage Edge? I saw a circular walk there starting at Hethersage? Sounded quite nice.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Postby EdwardMS » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:34 pm

There is a good (for rural trains) train service along the Sheffield to Manchester line. You could park at Grindleford station (currently free I believe) and walk up to Millstone edge via Padley quarry, across to Higgar Tor, Fiddlers Elbow, along Stanage Edge, onto Moscar Moor and drop to Bamford station for a train back to car?

Plenty of good walks to do around there.
EdwardMS
Stravaiging

Munros:22   Corbetts:3
Donalds:2
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:72   

Postby Arthurs Eat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 am

Cheers Edward, I'll look into this :wink:
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs