walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Lakes meet up 12th/13th April (UPDATE)

Re: Lakes meet up 12th/13th April

Postby simon-b » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:47 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
simon-b wrote:Hi Anthony. Have you any preferred route for the Helvellyn three? Some friends and I were thinking about ascending Dollywaggon via the tongue and leaving Helvellyn along Striding Edge this year. Any chance our plans could be compatible?

Sounds good, only issue I can think is even with an early start we may well meet loads of people coming the other way on Striding edge which would be a pain. The route up Dollywaggon is one I've looked at before.

It definitely looks like the most exciting way up Dollywaggon Pike. If others coming on the trip are happy with that, my friends and I could well be up for it. We could do either Saturday or Sunday; will you be deciding which day nearer the time, depending on the weather forecast, or does anyone who's coming have a definite preference now? Striding Edge needn't be an issue - a friend of mine really wants to do it, but that doesn't mean everybody has to come down that way, of course. I hope this comes off, it should be a great day, and I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy again, having walked with him up a few Munros.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 pm

simon-b wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:
simon-b wrote:Hi Anthony. Have you any preferred route for the Helvellyn three? Some friends and I were thinking about ascending Dollywaggon via the tongue and leaving Helvellyn along Striding Edge this year. Any chance our plans could be compatible?

Sounds good, only issue I can think is even with an early start we may well meet loads of people coming the other way on Striding edge which would be a pain. The route up Dollywaggon is one I've looked at before.

It definitely looks like the most exciting way up Dollywaggon Pike. If others coming on the trip are happy with that, my friends and I could well be up for it. We could do either Saturday or Sunday; will you be deciding which day nearer the time, depending on the weather forecast, or does anyone who's coming have a definite preference now? Striding Edge needn't be an issue - a friend of mine really wants to do it, but that doesn't mean everybody has to come down that way, of course. I hope this comes off, it should be a great day, and I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy again, having walked with him up a few Munros.

It does look a great route and having never done striding edge I am quite keen to give it a go. As for the day, there looks to be far more people likely to turn up on the Sunday but from a personal point of view I'd much rather wait to see which is likely to be the best day weather wise.

The route for the other day I was thinking about was a Boredale round from Martindale or Sandwick including Beda Fell, Angletarn Pikes and Place Fell. If this is a bit Boring (pardon the pun) for anybody wanting to attend both days I'm happy to take on suggestions for something else. I'd prefer (I know this sounds strange) to do fells I've already bagged as I may well get wrong off Nicola and Grace if I go bagging something they've yet to do.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jamesjones » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi Anthony,

Just to let you know I'm easy regarding the route and also the day. I'm walking other days but can organise myself around this meet. Keep me updated, I'm looking forward to getting away. Pleased to see Simon and friends are coming along too.

Jimmy
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Thought I'd do an update on who has said they are planning to come for each day and the planned routes for walks.

Saturday
Myself
Hutchy1
jamesjones
simonb + others (day Helvellyn is climbed)
Susie + Husband (best day weather wise)

Sunday
Myself
L-Hiking + other
Hutchy1
jamesjones
DaveB1
simonb + others (day Helvellyn is climbed)
Mrs Santa (possible)
Rudolf (possible)
Susie + Husband (best day weather wise)

Place_fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Helvellyn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The suggestion is we ascend Dollywaggon Pike first. If anybody doesn't fancy Striding Edge a longer but very straightforward descent can be made via White Side and alongside Glenridding Beck. The Helvellyn route would best best left for which ever will be the best day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm

hope you all have a smashing time.
we are quite tied up this coming weekend - next time maybe
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby stomper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 pm

It so happens that I will be staying at Keswick from Sunday to the Wednesday of next week so would love to join you guys on the Sunday if that's ok. Please give me details on where to meet ' what time and what walk we will be doing. Definitely be interested
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Anthony, I notice you and Jimmy haven't bagged Birkhouse Moor yet, and neither have two of my friends (should be 3 of them coming). It's only a short detour from the hole-in-the-wall after Striding Edge.

The start you've planned via Lanty's Tarn from Glenridding is very beautiful, and I'd certainly be happy with that, although a start from Patterdale would involve less ascent, and miss out the last bit of re-ascent on the way back via Lanty's Tarn.

But if Birkhouse Moor is added, the return to Glenridding would be easier, perhaps coming down via Miresbeck.

You should enjoy the Martindale round on the other day; a lovely valley and three nice fells with great views. Angle Tarn is definitely worth a visit.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 pm

mrssanta wrote:hope you all have a smashing time.
we are quite tied up this coming weekend - next time maybe

Thanks Mrs S, next time perhaps.

stomper wrote:It so happens that I will be staying at Keswick from Sunday to the Wednesday of next week so would love to join you guys on the Sunday if that's ok. Please give me details on where to meet ' what time and what walk we will be doing. Definitely be interested

Great stuff

simon-b wrote:Anthony, I notice you and Jimmy haven't bagged Birkhouse Moor yet, and neither have two of my friends (should be 3 of them coming). It's only a short detour from the hole-in-the-wall after Striding Edge.

The start you've planned via Lanty's Tarn from Glenridding is very beautiful, and I'd certainly be happy with that, although a start from Patterdale would involve less ascent, and miss out the last bit of re-ascent on the way back via Lanty's Tarn.

But if Birkhouse Moor is added, the return to Glenridding would be easier, perhaps coming down via Miresbeck.

You should enjoy the Martindale round on the other day; a lovely valley and three nice fells with great views. Angle Tarn is definitely worth a visit.

Happy to include Birkhouse moor if others want to. The other reason I chose Glenridding was the alternative descent would be shorter and easier for anyone who doesn't fancy Striding edge.
The met office have fell forecasts for Saturday and Sunday now with Sunday looking the better day so that looks favorite for the Helvellyn route. As for a meeting time as early as possible suits me but I understand others are coming from further away, perhaps 9AM?

p.s. remember to bring an eyeball for parking at Glenridding...£7 :shock:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 pm

I agree with your reasons for a Glenridding start, Anthony. You've probably noticed that the Met Office have said Striding Edge is snow-free but Swirral isn't yet, so going further north would be best for an alternative descent. I think you've picked a great route, but just one more selling point for Birkhouse Moor: On Memory Map, I calculate the planned descent from the hole-in-the-wall to be 3.78km with 45m ascent and 594m descent; coming down over Birkhouse Moor the following way would involve 3.53km with 22m ascent and 569m descent.

miresbeck.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunday definitely sounds good; 9am should be OK by us. Thanks for initiating what should be a memorable day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:20 am

simon-b wrote:I agree with your reasons for a Glenridding start, Anthony. You've probably noticed that the Met Office have said Striding Edge is snow-free but Swirral isn't yet, so going further north would be best for an alternative descent. I think you've picked a great route, but just one more selling point for Birkhouse Moor: On Memory Map, I calculate the planned descent from the hole-in-the-wall to be 3.78km with 45m ascent and 594m descent; coming down over Birkhouse Moor the following way would involve 3.53km with 22m ascent and 569m descent.

miresbeck.gpx

Sunday definitely sounds good; 9am should be OK by us. Thanks for initiating what should be a memorable day.

You've sold it to me, perhaps the best meeting point would be the tourist information in Glenridding. I should be easy to spot as I will be the man with the small scruffy Westie on a harness.

UPDATE: Meeting point will be tourist information (NY386170) in Glenridding at 9:00AM Sunday the 13th of April

A good hostelry for afterwards may well be the the Travellers rest on Greenside Road as it is dog friendly.

If anybody wants to join me for the Saturday I'll be parking at Sandwick (NY424196) at 9:00AM
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Re: Lakes meet up 12th/13th April (UPDATE)

Postby jamesjones » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 pm

I'll look for you on Saturday at 9.00am. I'll look for the Westie. Was also looking at CATSTYECAM for the Sunday. It looks too close to HELVELLYN to ignore. Saw Simon's comment about the snow on Swirral Edge so I'll leave the final decision until i'm up there and then decide. Don't know if anybody else wants to come down that route. I've done Striding Edge several times so not fussed.

See you alll Saturday/Sunday Jimmy
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Re: Lakes meet up 12th/13th April (UPDATE)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm

jamesjones wrote:I'll look for you on Saturday at 9.00am. I'll look for the Westie. Was also looking at CATSTYECAM for the Sunday. It looks too close to HELVELLYN to ignore. Saw Simon's comment about the snow on Swirral Edge so I'll leave the final decision until i'm up there and then decide. Don't know if anybody else wants to come down that route. I've done Striding Edge several times so not fussed.

See you alll Saturday/Sunday Jimmy

Looks like it might be just us on the Saturday Jimmy but it will be great to have a bit of company.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs