walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Arrochar Caves in Glen Loin

Arrochar Caves in Glen Loin

Postby mountain coward » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 am

Me and Walkaboot have just had a great idea while we were discussing the whereabouts of the famous and historic Arrochar Caves in Glen Loin. We've decided it would be great to have a meet there if anyone else wants to spend a night in one of the three caves - the uppermost one requires reasonable scrambling skills (so I won't be in that one :D ). In order not to upset the famous and fearful Creag Dhu climbing club who I believe are the main users of the caves (or at least were), we've decided to go for one night mid-week.

Anyone else interested/daft enough to spend the night in a cave? They look quite dry as Richard and I visited them in very damp weather and the floor was mostly dry.
mountain coward

Re: Arrochar Caves in Glen Loin

Postby walk aboot » Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 pm

:shock:

8)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby chalkywhyte » Fri May 07, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm up for that :D
chalkywhyte

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 am

I'll put some prospective mid-week dates on here when I've got some time (just got back from the Lakes :D )
mountain coward

Postby chalkywhyte » Wed May 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Top Man :D
chalkywhyte

Postby chalkywhyte » Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 pm

ps - If anyone has to travel - I have a house in Helensburgh which I am fitting out - sleep on floor stuff... :shock:
chalkywhyte

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 13, 2010 8:20 am

Okay, we'll all pile into yours in the morning after a night of no sleep whatsoever in the caves! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby chalkywhyte » Thu May 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Might be the other way round :shock:
chalkywhyte

Postby chaserjay » Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi all,
This sounds interesting , tell me more please when convenient.

John
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I'll put a set of dates out when I can see when I'm going to be free then you can all choose which are best for you:)
mountain coward

Postby walk aboot » Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Carol

Any idea of dates for this yet? :)
walk aboot

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 26, 2010 2:42 am

Hmmm - I'm thinking it might have to wait until the end of the midge season - possibly September the way things are going... I only have a weekend off now and no dates in the week before the end of June as I have 2 weeks holiday in Sutherland and Glen Shiel in June with Richard (and he sure won't spend a night in a cave - besides, we've got all our various accommodations booked up). I don't think we can really invade the place over a weekend... can we? If you think we could without getting mauled by the fearsome Creag Dhu or suchlike, I could manage the weekend of Fri 4 - Sun 6 June and we could spend either the Fri or Sat night there - but I'm still not sure about it being a weekend visit really...

I think July and August will be unbearable with midges when you consider that, from a midge point of view, we're essentially sleeping outside - we certainly block them out. I haven't anything at all booked from June onwards so there'll be dates in September I can put out - what do you (collectively) think?

I'm still keen to do it though :D
mountain coward

Postby walk aboot » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 am

Hi MC

I could manage weekend 5th June, but I'd need advance notice (got something else planned which I'd have to change), but then again, I don't mind waiting until September if that suits you better :) .
walk aboot

Postby chaserjay » Thu May 27, 2010 10:55 am

Hi All,

September suits me too

John
chaserjay
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 pm

As my life is basically chaos at the moment, I think September would be best really... we could make it in the week or a Sunday night or something then - if we did that, anyone having a horrifically uncomfortable night could just get up and slope off to work! :lol:

On the subject of midgies, we could probably bring Citronella candles to repel them - they smell nice and are supposed to work - I have quite a few of them in nightlight form but the wicks are rubbish and they keep dying as soon as the wick has burnt :( Then anyone approaching the caves will think a bunch of hippies have occupied them! :lol:
mountain coward

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs