walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

WINTER WH MEET- RATAGAN YOUTH HOSTEL 28th 29th Oct

Re: WINTER WH MEET- RATAGAN YOUTH HOSTEL 28th 29th Oct

Postby J888ohn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 am

Slightly random question but having never stayed in a Youth Hostel before do I need to bring a sleeping bag or do they supply bedding? Important to know as the sleeping bag will take up valuable beer space in the car. :lol:
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby GillC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am

J888ohn wrote:Slightly random question but having never stayed in a Youth Hostel before do I need to bring a sleeping bag or do they supply bedding? Important to know as the sleeping bag will take up valuable beer space in the car. :lol:

Bedding supplied...just print a towel and more beer
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Joey » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:29 am

Unfortunately, I'm not able to stay over (despite the late offer of a bed) due to family illness, but do fancy heading over Saturday or Sunday morning to do the Brothers Ridge if anyone else is doing it. The caveat - only offer if you're happy to walk with a plodder......I'll just leave first thing and head home afterwards. PM me if anyone wants to take me under their wing. Cheers, Joanne.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby J888ohn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:34 am

GillC wrote:
J888ohn wrote:Slightly random question but having never stayed in a Youth Hostel before do I need to bring a sleeping bag or do they supply bedding? Important to know as the sleeping bag will take up valuable beer space in the car. :lol:

Bedding supplied...just print a towel and more beer

Cheers Gill. More beer it is!
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Dai S » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Joey wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not able to stay over (despite the late offer of a bed) due to family illness, but do fancy heading over Saturday or Sunday morning to do the Brothers Ridge if anyone else is doing it. The caveat - only offer if you're happy to walk with a plodder......I'll just leave first thing and head home afterwards. PM me if anyone wants to take me under their wing. Cheers, Joanne.

I have sent you PM.
David
Dai S
Stravaiging

Munros:149   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:106   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:10 am

Mrs D suggested last night that I give the meet a miss as I have been suffering the last few days with a heavy cold that has been preventing me from sleeping properly at night. Eh, naw!!!!! Wild horses and all that! Maybe I should have said that a few nights of disturbed sleep pattern is excellent preparation for a WH meet! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby GillC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 am

Graeme D wrote:Mrs D suggested last night that I give the meet a miss as I have been suffering the last few days with a heavy cold that has been preventing me from sleeping properly at night. Eh, naw!!!!! Wild horses and all that! Maybe I should have said that a few nights of disturbed sleep pattern is excellent preparation for a WH meet! :lol:

It will either cure you.....or kill you! :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby M4RTIN » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 am

It's now looking that I won't be able to make it up this weekend. :(
Too much work, too many household chores and hardly enough energy to climb the stairs...

A couple of people had enquired about spare beds, but they have either confirmed they don't need one, or are yet to let me know.

As of now, my slot is now up for grabs..
If someone desperately wants to reimburse me £36 quid, fine, but I'm not worrying about it.
If someone can use the slot, maybe they'll could donate a bottle of something nice, as a prize for the quiz. :wink:

Either way, I'm out...
I'm disappointed to be missing this one; our meets (and the hills) are a great way of de-stressing from the daily grind.
I know I don't need to tell you all to enjoy yourself.
#TheRodmeister :wink:

I hope the weather is great, and you all manage to get your respective targets "bagged".

If anyone wants to take this slot, I guess Darren (hutchy1) would be the one to let know.

Most of all, stay safe.
Martin
M4RTIN
Mountain Walker

Munros:125   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:10

Postby mountainstar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:11 am

I've had word for Alan Ross saying he is ominous about making the Meet. :(
He has asked me to be on standby to do the quiz if he cannot make it.
I've got a quiz ready and printed, he suggested that if he manages to come to save wasting mine we could have one on the Friday as well?
Anyway we will see what happens and decide when we get confirmation on if he is coming or not.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby hutchy1 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:44 am

Hi John I'm told all bedding will be supplied
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby hutchy1 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Just to let every one know that the bunkhouse isn't open till 3pm tomorrow if I haven't already mentioned it so no need to race of the hill :wink: :D
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby GillC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:58 pm

hutchy1 wrote:Just to let every one know that the bunkhouse isn't open till 3pm tomorrow if I haven't already mentioned it so no need to race of the hill :wink: :D

I'll no be racing anywhere lol
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:13 pm

mountainstar wrote:I've had word for Alan Ross saying he is ominous about making the Meet. :(
I've got a quiz ready and printed, he suggested that if he manages to come to save wasting mine we could have one on the Friday as well?
Anyway we will see what happens and decide when we get confirmation on if he is coming or not.

How about if the weather is pants we just have a quiz that starts on Friday night and finishes on Saturday night? :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Graeme D wrote:How about if the weather is pants we just have a quiz that starts on Friday night and finishes on Saturday night? :lol:

That's not fair, we will only be able to make it on Sat morning!!!

Hope the weather is not totally crap, but wind forecast not optimistic: Southwesterly 40 gusts 55mph...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Backpacker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Graeme D wrote:
mountainstar wrote:I've had word for Alan Ross saying he is ominous about making the Meet. :(

How about if the weather is pants we just have a quiz that starts on Friday night and finishes on Saturday night? :lol:

Didn't we do that in Tyndrum :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs