walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Walking Companions Needed from the Central Belt!

Walking Companions Needed from the Central Belt!

Postby GemmaBruce92 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi all! :D
I am a 23 year old from the forth valley area looking for people of a similar age to go on weekday (mainly Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) walking/hiking trips with.
I have found it a right struggle to meet people my age who enjoy walking in this area so if anybody would like to tag along please do get in touch.
I'm very open to suggestions on places to go, I am pretty much wanting to experience the entirety of Scotland before I keel over :lol:
Any takers?

Gemma x
GemmaBruce92
Bird-watcher

Re: Walking Companions Needed from the Central Belt!

Postby glaw5 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:54 am

Hi Gemma,

Did you find anyone to walk with in the end?

Gareth
glaw5
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   

Postby GemmaBruce92 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Not yet! I posted it yesterday though so here's hoping :) thanks for replying
GemmaBruce92
Bird-watcher

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:48 pm

GemmaBruce92 wrote:Hi all! :D I am a 23 year old from the forth valley area looking for people of a similar age to go on weekday (mainly Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) walking/hiking trips with.I have found it a right struggle to meet people my age who enjoy walking in this area so if anybody would like to tag along please do get in touch. I'm very open to suggestions on places to go, I am pretty much wanting to experience the entirety of Scotland before I keel over :lol: Any takers? Gemma x

glaw5 wrote:Hi Gemma, Did you find anyone to walk with in the end? Gareth

GemmaBruce92 wrote:Not yet! I posted it yesterday though so here's hoping :) thanks for replying

Perhaps if you re-titled your post " Walking Companions Aged 23 Needed from the Central Belt ". Or you could join the Brownies... :lol:

Billy Connolly.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby skawt100 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Hello Gemma,

I know that feeling well. It can be very difficult to find walking buddies if you decide to take up walking at our age (I'm 25, took up walking in 2014) without being part of a university club, I didn't know a single person when i started. I went through some of the meetup groups and enjoyed the walks and the company but found it difficult to relate to the general age group, it was a great introduction to hillwalking but not where I was going to make friendships.

I eventually found the Glasgow Young Walkers which is a Ramblers affiliated group for people in their 20's and 30's. It's a good way of meeting people of a similar age but the focus of the group isn't as adventurous as I would have liked, they aren't keen for camping etc but it was a good start. Through the group I have met a few people that I walk regularly with in both summer and winter conditions and now I lead munro and corbett walks once a month in the group trying to build up the adventurousness of some of the other members. Plus with more experience I was able to get my friends a bit more interested in hillwalking too and take them out on walks. There is also the Edinburgh Young Walkers but their walks are always very quick to fill up. Of course all this happens on the weekends which currently may not be of use to you?

I am free Monday's and Tuesdays for now but I don't really know what you have in mind?

Scott.
skawt100
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   Corbetts:39
Fionas:9   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:8   

Postby denfinella » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Gemma,

I know the feeling, and might be interested in a weekday trip sometime. I'll PM you!

Tim
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby GillC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Think I feel so old and over the hill,,the young people just don't want us any more, lol destined for the scrap hill of life lol

Perhaps if you re-titled your post " Walking Companions Aged 23 Needed from the Central Belt ". Or you could join the Brownies... :lol:

Billy Connolly.jpg
[/quote]
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:23 pm

GillC wrote:Think I feel so old and over the hill,,the young people just don't want us any more, lol destined for the scrap hill of life lol

Billy Connolly.jpg
[/quote]

How do you think I feel!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:10 am

When these youngsters are storming past, we will be sitting outside the Kingshouse in the sunshine, on our bath-chairs with tartan rugs over our knees, reminiscing about the Good Old Days, and getting into the cinema for a jam jar. :roll:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby J888ohn » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:25 am

Hi Gemma,

Is 36 too old????? :lol: I usually head out during the week cause I work most weekends. I usually get Tue, Wed and Thurs off every couple of weeks. Only prob is I have a walking companion who gets very grumpy if I leave him behind, my Border Collie, so hope you like dogs!

Cheers,

John.
J888ohn
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:01 pm

J888ohn wrote:Hi Gemma, Is 36 too old????? :lol: John.

:shock: Yes. Unless you know the words to all the One Direction songs...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs