walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Torridon

Torridon

Postby stomper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I will be in Torridon for a weeks bagging in the middle of May so if anyones out there and fancies in joining me for a weeks bagging then hay let me know
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Torridon

Postby Wanderlust » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:27 pm

Hello,

I will be there around that time too from 10-16 May, maybe we could meet up?
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby stomper » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:20 am

Thats great but 1 problem I should have put the dates when i will be up there and they are 17th/24th may and will be staying at the bunkhouse at Achnasheen and going on from there. You are not by anychance meeting up with the Trail lot as they have a weekend up in Kintail Fri/Sun 15th/17th May. I will also be up 25 April for3 days walking staying in Fort William.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby Wanderlust » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm going up on my own, haven't booked any accomodation anywhere yet (or even looked), I was thinking about the YH in Torridon - but I'll check out the bunkhouse that you mentioned in Achnasheen, is it handy for the hills?

Have a good one in Fort William, next month :)
Wanderlust

Postby stomper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:07 pm

It depends on how you look at it . For me its half way to the fannics and halfway to Torridon. For me staying in Torridon limits me which hills i can do where staying at Achnasheen gives me more options. The bunkhouse i am staying at is £12 pn and i think thats cheaper than the YHA. For you (if you have a car) i would reccomend the bunkhouse as it does give you more options than say Torridon.Any info you want let me know
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby Wanderlust » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 pm

won't be going by car - it will be public transport all the way for me.
I think I do want to stay a few days in Torridon and do some of the hills there, then maybe I could stay a day or two in Achnasheen on the way back to Inverness.
Wanderlust

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 pm

Will be at Torridon Youth Hostel from next monday until Friday, hoping to take on some of the challenging walks from there.
Some good company would be most welcome.
Wanderlust

Postby stomper » Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 pm

wish i could join you as i will be exactly in the same possision as you when i travel up on monday week (17th) but i suppose if you are staying at YHA you might be lucky enough to meet a few walkers where you could tag along. let me know what the conditions are especialy Liatach as thats one mountain i will be aiming to do along with An Teallach & Beinn Eighe.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby Wanderlust » Fri May 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Hopefully there will be lots more walkers staying at the hostel, so I shouldn't be short of company.
I've heard the forecast for next week is pretty good, and much more settled than it's been this week.
Liathach, Beinn Alligin and Beinn Eighe are on my hit list, conditions permitting.
Wanderlust

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am

Wanderlust - reckon you must have got great weather that week. What did you get up to ?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Wanderlust » Thu May 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Had a great time in Torridon last week (I've submitted some walk reports in the walking in Scotland section).
The youth hostel in Torridon was a great place to stay, lots of like-minded folk staying there, handy for the hills - you can walk out to Beinn Alligin and it's at the foot of Liathach.

I stayed 1 night at the Ledgowan bunkhouse in Achnasheen, and the facilities there weren't as good as the Torridon hostel and it's only £2 cheaper, not really handy for the hills - unless you have a car. But the hotel bar does nice meals and you can get a drink there.

I would say that if you're thinking of visiting the Torridon area, you would be better off driving there - I went by public transport - it was hard enough to get there, and once you're there getting around is inconvenient (no shop or pub in Torridon village either).

If you are dependent on public transport there is a dial-a-bus service operated by Lochcarron garage (which has replaced the axed Postbus service), you need to book by 6pm on the day before travel. Call them on 01520 722205. Failing that, it's not too difficult to hitch a lift.
Wanderlust

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs