walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Cairngorms National Park Walking 02/03/19 - 03/03/19

Cairngorms National Park Walking 02/03/19 - 03/03/19

Postby svan1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello,
My name is Shalyn. I am a solo traveller from Australia currently doing a Uni placement in Scotland and would like to use my free weekends to explore walking routes around Scotland. I shall be here for the next 4 weeks. I do not have previous winter walking experience so am hesitant to go out solo and so am looking for any companions to join me. I would like to head to Cairngorms National Park this weekend (02/03/19 - 03/03/19) and Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park next weekend (08/03/19 - 09/03/19). Alternatively, would appreciate any suggestions for good solo winter walks in these areas. Or, if anyone is doing any walks on these weekends anywhere else then please let me know, my itinerary is flexible.
Thank you.
svan1
Mountaineer

Re: Cairngorms National Park Walking 02/03/19 - 03/03/19

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:29 pm

svan1 wrote:Hello,
My name is Shalyn. I am a solo traveller from Australia currently doing a Uni placement in Scotland and would like to use my free weekends to explore walking routes around Scotland. I shall be here for the next 4 weeks. I do not have previous winter walking experience so am hesitant to go out solo and so am looking for any companions to join me. I would like to head to Cairngorms National Park this weekend (02/03/19 - 03/03/19) and Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park next weekend (08/03/19 - 09/03/19). Alternatively, would appreciate any suggestions for good solo winter walks in these areas. Or, if anyone is doing any walks on these weekends anywhere else then please let me know, my itinerary is flexible.
Thank you.

If you have no winter experience then the Cairngorms are not the place for you to go solo at this time of year; we are due some cold, windy weather which becomes concentrated by the mountain topography. Do you have an ice axe, crampons, clothing for Arctic weather? This time last year we lost one of our experienced hill people, Alison Fox, who was killed by the winter weather. Please do not underestimate the Scottish hills and winter weather. http://www.centralfm.co.uk/2018/03/03/33324/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi Shalyn,
As has been said, this weekend in the Cairngorms isn't looking good with high winds forecast. Not the best place to be if you aren't used to it and don't have the gear.
Check out the SAIS website and the mountain weather forecast from the met office.
Where are you at Uni?
Regards, Scott
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 pm

If you just want to walk, the Trossachs (etc) would probably be a better place to look for a low(er) level route out of the worst of the wind this weekend - the problem with the Cairngorms is that even the low places are quite high and wild (although it's not an area I know well, so you might get some walking in the glens on the north or south edges).
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby StephD » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Shalyn, are you still here? Did you ever make it to the cairngorms? Would you be up for going next weekend, 30-31 March? I am going to visit a friend in Aberdeen for the weekend and we want to go to the cairngorms for a day hike on either saturday or sunday
StephD

Munros:163   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs