walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Outer Hebrides trip 18 - 21 April

Outer Hebrides trip 18 - 21 April

Postby henoctasus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:03 pm

My friend Berit and I are going on a 3-night trip to the Outer Hebrides between 18th - 21st April (a third friend, Halina, is probably joining us too, but she’s yet to confirm). We are happy to have others joining us, so just message me if you are interested.

We will be walking 50km (30 miles) overall during our two full days there, exploring four islands: Vatersay, Barra, Eriskay and South Uist. The islands are famous for their miles-long white sand beaches with turquoise Caribbean-like water, and are full of breathtaking vistas at every corner.

Their heritage and history is amazing too: St. Michael of the Sea Church has its altar made of an old lifeboat, for example, and there are Neolithic standing stones you can admire. This is also where Bonnie Prince Charlie landed when he came over to reclaim Scotland during the last Jacobite Rebellion in the 18th century, and where one of the worst disasters in maritime history anywhere in the world happened, when the Annie Jane ship headed for Montreal sank in 1843 (you can still see where this happened and visit the monument on the beach).

The prices we are paying are cheap. The hostel in Castlebay on Barra costs £20 for the first night, and there are still beds available. We paid £69 for a nice static caravan with a view of the sea for the second night, and as it holds up to six people, it is a bargain when it comes to paying individually. We found a room in Daliburgh in South Uist for the third night, and there should be several other accommodation options around. We also have two seats in my car from Glasgow to Oban, and the ferry to Barra costs only £15 (and takes five hours). So all in all, the total cost should be somewhere around £100 :-)

https://www.facebook.com/WhenUponAMountain/posts/274896076782950

Cheers,
Vlad
henoctasus
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:27
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:11

Re: Outer Hebrides trip 18 - 21 April

Postby nick70 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:07 am

Hi Henoctasus (Vlad)

Wow, that sounds like an absolutely amazing trip you have planned. It would have definitely been something that appealed to me. However at Easter week end I am setting out to do WHW and then GGW.

The Outer Hebrides is so so on my places I would love to visit. I really would have loved to accompany you but alas, as I said, I have already made other commitments.

I hope your friends and you all have a fantastic time.

ATB

Nick
nick70

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs