walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

WH Summer Meet - 8-10 JULY 2022

WH Summer Meet - 8-10 JULY 2022

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:07 pm

KNOYDART MEET JULY 8-10th 2022!

For those who have been signed up for the original meet - I've been in touch and the new confirmed list is below. Those on the Reserve List have also been contacted.

There are now a few free beds for this meet - £37 for the 2 nights. Let me know if you're interested.

Meet Info (copied from below)
For campers there is a good campsite around 100 yards from the bunkhouse at Long Beach on Loch Nevis also run by the Foundation. There is no need to book.

For obvious reasons campervans are a no-go for this meet (unless you have a hovercraft attachment :lol: )

Check-in at the bunkhouse on Friday is 3pm and check-out on Sunday 10am.

Dogs are welcome but must be kept on leads in the village and will cost £5 per night.

Now for the logistical fun bit – Inverie is accessible either by a very long walk for anyone feeling particularly intrepid, or by boat from Mallaig.

Ferry timetable can be found here and it is advisable to book in advance (compulsory for first and last boat of the day) and other ferry information is here

More details and information about charters can be found here

The bunkhouse in Inverie is a half mile walk from the ferry. There is a landrover based at Inverie and owned by the foundation which can be used to help carry luggage (people still have to walk!). It is £25 each way so worth clubbing together if folk want assistance carrying their crates of beer :wink: Again they recommend this is booked in advance as it used by the whole Foundation and may otherwise be unavailable!

There is a shop in Inverie for anyone wishing to travel light and more information about eating out can be found here

ATTENDING (and paid!)
Colin (tall-story)
Tommy
Martin (fifeflyer)
George (dibs)
Parminder
MountainMiscreant
Callandergirl
Jim (doghouse103)
Heather (Quincy)
Steve Smith +1
David Main
Darren
M4rtin (Martin G)
Kerrie
Ryan (goingforawii)
Gary (Backpacker)
Steve Mann

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YET ANOTHER ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Have just been in touch with the Bunkhouse, and for a number of reasons they are not having bookings this summer. I've made the decision to defer the whole thing by a year - fingers crossed everyone will have been vaccinated and we'll be able to enjoy ourselves with less worry!

So KNOYDART MEET JULY 8-10th 2022!

If you've paid for a bed, you keep your bed. Anyone wanting money back, please get in touch, otherwise I'll assume that you're happy to keep your place.

If you've paid an extra night, Fiona from the bunkhouse will be in touch with you separately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT ANNOUNCEMENT!!

In the light of the current pandemic and all the uncertainty about the coming months, I've made the decision that the Knoydart 2020 Meet will not go ahead as planned this July.

I have deferred the booking for a year - the meet will now take place Friday 9th July - Sunday 11th July (exactly a year on from this year)

If you have booked a bunk for this year - your place and money automatically will roll over to next year - you don't need to do anything. If you don't want to come next year then I'll arrange for refunds and the bunks can be resold.

I hope that this is satisfactory to everyone 8)

In addition - I'm organising a ZOOM meeting Quiz on the Saturday 11th July 2020 for all those who would have been at the Meet. If you'd like in, let me know - it should be a good laugh 8) :lol:

Stay well and stay responsible :clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2020 Summer Meet with be held at the Knoydart Foundation Bunkhouse in Inverie

THIS MEET IS NOW SOLD OUT!
There's a reserve list in case anyone pulls out, and you can still camp. But the Bunk House is full 8)

There are 26 bunks up for grabs priced at £37 per head for the 2 nights.

For campers there is a good campsite around 100 yards from the bunkhouse at Long Beach on Loch Nevis also run by the Foundation. There is no need to book.

For obvious reasons campervans are a no-go for this meet (unless you have a hovercraft attachment :lol: )

Check-in at the bunkhouse on Friday is 3pm and check-out on Sunday 10am.

Dogs are welcome but must be kept on leads in the village and will cost £5 per night.

Now for the logistical fun bit – Inverie is accessible either by a very long walk for anyone feeling particularly intrepid, or by boat from Mallaig.

Ferry timetable can be found here and it is advisable to book in advance (compulsory for first and last boat of the day) and other ferry information is here

More details and information about charters can be found here

The bunkhouse in Inverie is a half mile walk from the ferry. There is a landrover based at Inverie and owned by the foundation which can be used to help carry luggage (people still have to walk!). It is £25 each way so worth clubbing together if folk want assistance carrying their crates of beer :wink: Again they recommend this is booked in advance as it used by the whole Foundation and may otherwise be unavailable!

There is a shop in Inverie for anyone wishing to travel light and more information about eating out can be found here

Let me know either on here or by PM if you’d like a bunk and I’ll get payment details to you 8)

ATTENDING (and paid!)
steveb
Colin (tall-story)
Tommy
Martin (fifeflyer)
George (dibs)
Parminder
MountainMiscreant
Arabgarry
Callandergirl
Jim (doghouse103)
Heather (Quincy)
Steve Smith
David Main
Jonathan (2manyyorkies)
Darren & Anne
M4rtin (Martin G)
Kerrie
David C

Camping or staying nearby:
Jim & Michelle
Perr
Last edited by Jaxter on Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: WH Summer Meet - Inverie - 10-12 July 2020

Postby Steve B » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:50 pm

I would like to go to this please.
Not been to one of these events before.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby tall-story » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Blimey the cooker probably hasn't cooled from the weekend and next summer's meet is sorted 😲 😃. This is perfect for me so can I have 1 bunk please 😃
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Do you know if there will be somewhere to store luggage on the Sunday? If I come, it will be the start of a trip that will end at HebCelt, so I'll have more than the usual weekend rucksack with me.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby David-Main » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Count me in Jackie. :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby nathan79 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Very interesting venue for this one! :clap:
Perfect excuse to get there, will confirm as soon as 2020 shifts are put out.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Amazing news, I'll get payment details out to those confirmed shortly!

nigheandonn wrote:Do you know if there will be somewhere to store luggage on the Sunday? If I come, it will be the start of a trip that will end at HebCelt, so I'll have more than the usual weekend rucksack with me.

I'm not sure, I'd advise getting in touch with the hostel directly. Email is probably best - bunkhouse@knoydart.org
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:12 pm

Sounds verrrry interesting, this one!

We can't commit at the moment, need to sort the summer hols first, but we'd love to come. Ladhar Bheinn is still on our to-do list!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Well as I had to miss Bearnock, and will miss Glencoe, it would be exceptionally rude to miss this one too, count me in please Jax.
Presumably there's somewhere to leave cars in Mallaig?
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Stevesmith159 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:14 am

Sounds like this is one not to be missed Jackie. Excellent! Please count me in for this one.
Stevesmith159
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:168   Islands:18

Postby nathan79 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am

2manyYorkies wrote:Well as I had to miss Bearnock, and will miss Glencoe, it would be exceptionally rude to miss this one too, count me in please Jax.
Presumably there's somewhere to leave cars in Mallaig?

There's a big car with a short walk to the ferry terminal. (Which can be a good spot for otter watching).
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:16 am

What a location, well done Jackie.

We were planning/hoping to go there next year so that sorts it.

If you could reserve 3 beds for Fri/Sat for me, George & Parminder?
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby prog99 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am

Jaxter wrote:Amazing news, I'll get payment details out to those confirmed shortly!

nigheandonn wrote:Do you know if there will be somewhere to store luggage on the Sunday? If I come, it will be the start of a trip that will end at HebCelt, so I'll have more than the usual weekend rucksack with me.

I'm not sure, I'd advise getting in touch with the hostel directly. Email is probably best - bunkhouse@knoydart.org

They're very helpful. Were fine for us to leave everything out of the next groups way a few years ago.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby MountainMiscreant » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:59 am

Haven't been to any meets before but this one really interests me, still have Knoydart to do so would like to book a bunk if poss. Thank you!!!
MountainMiscreant
Mountain Walker

Postby Magoo82 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 am

That's me paid :wink:

These three munros have been on my "some day" list for a while so this meet will be the boot up the backside I need to make it happen.

I intend to walk in and out from Kinloch Hourn over two days each way but I have a couple of questions for those more familiar with the area and the terrain than I. The Mam Barrisdale bealach between Ladhar Bheinn and Luinne Bheinn at roughly 450m - are there any feasible wild camping spots up there or is Barrisdale Bothy pretty much the only show in town for breaking up the journey? And is it both possible and desirable to scuttle up and down Ladhar Bheinn from that bealach (the terrain looks quite challenging on the map) or is the Luinne Bheinn ridge the only one you'd realistically want to approach from there?

Cheers, Ross.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs