walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Cape Wrath Trail

Cape Wrath Trail

Postby RoseGo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:43 pm

I'm real keen to walk the route, but nervous to do alone. I'm in my 40s (and a girl). I've hiked long distance in the Alps (completed 600km GR5 solo (huts, so different). I know my tent and what I can do each day. I'm not real fast, but I get there!! And love mountains and walking like nothing else. It would be a joy to march through CWT.
I'm posting in case there is someone out there with a similar mind and wants to get in touch. I've no chance with the husband!!
RoseGo
Scrambler

Re: Cape Wrath Trail

Postby scotsmist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi. When were you thinking of going ?
scotsmist

Postby Guinessman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Done the CWT twice, both times solo, first time I walked and camped a few times with people that I met, second time this April only met 2 people on the route.
Walking alone is not a problem to me ( I'm a 57yrs old male) if you feel nervous maybe you could try a 1 or 2 nighter to see how you feel about the remoteness of it.
Have backpacked for years and I would say arguably that solo backpacking is more the norm than groups.
I'm currently planning the SNT for next April and the 20th day would see me in Pollan Buidhe area, above Craig with a walk to Kinlochewe that day and then looking to finish at Cape wrath 6 1/2 days after Kinlochewe. If you're going April I'd be quite happy to double up if it suits you. If not best of luck, do plenty of planning, familiarise yourself with the bothy locations, food resupply, put in a couple of hotels to recharge yourself and electricals and consider posting a food/ spare clothing parcel ( hotels are usually happy with this if you have a reservation).
If you are on FB there is a Cape Wrath trail page which you can post on
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm looking at a CWT hike in the Spring of next year, not least to give the TGO people something concrete for a 2021 Challenge with them. I'm not a fast walker either, averaging 4km/h on the Cowal Way, but happy to keep trudging on. I thought about doing it in reverse, Wrath to William. Going south the sun will be on the face, and arriving in Fort William knackered and dirty and tired there's no mucking around trying to get home. Depending on conditions (weather, me) could even give Nevis a shot.

If that sounds good feel free to give me a message or reply. I don't do the FB thing and am not about to start, I don't trust that Zoidberg thing that runs it. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby caren » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Rose,
I'm also planning to walk the CWT this year. I've done a bit of it a few years back and have been itching to walk the whole trail ever since. I'd be up for some company if time and sympathies suit :-) I'm 29, also a girl ;-) have done quite a bit of long distance trekking but I'm not terribly ambitious with speed and daily distance.
Let me know if you're interested!
Cheers, Caren
caren

Postby PaulOD » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 am

I'm also hoping to do a CWT thruhike this Spring. Was considering the SNT but will have to see what time I can get off work
PaulOD
Backpacker

Postby gudmond » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:18 am

I am planning on doing CWT late April, and the company would be good. I have a similar thing of always going solo, but feel more nervous due to no path and needing to navigate in possible bad weather.
gudmond
Scrambler

Postby boenali85 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi, I'll be doing the SNT in April/May - I'm a plodder too, so I'm not sure exactly when I will be reaching the Cape Wrath section, but it sounds like there will be a few of us on the trail around then :D I look forward to bumping in to some of you!
boenali85
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:6

Postby mark_1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 am

Has anyone walked the trail during Corona virus times? Are the bothies locked?

Thank you!

Mark
mark_1

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:14 pm

mark_1 wrote:Has anyone walked the trail during Corona virus times? Are the bothies locked?

Thank you!

Mark

All bothies are closed due to Coronavirus (See MBA page for updates but don't expect they will re-open for some considerable time).
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby zuzanna » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi! I have been thinking of doing the cape wrath for a year and a half now. I did once try but unfortunately had to turn around due to health issues of one of the companions (we were three). I would like to give it another shot and was thinking of 26th of April to 16th of May (ideally north to south due to easier connection at the end, but either way works), however, I would love to have some company. I heard that the route is rather long and passes through areas with no cellular data nor bars so it would feel safer to do it with someone.

I have done both WHW and GGW in one go and did some other backpacking on Orkney islands and in Europe. My average distance per day is around 15 miles. I´m 21 and a girl currently studying at Aberdeen.

If the dates would suit you, please give me a shout. Cheers
zuzanna
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs