walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Image host

Image host

Postby teaandpies » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:06 pm

What image hosts are being used to for walk reports these days?

A while back the ones I used stopped being free and wrecked my reports.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:6

Re: Image host

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:26 am

Safest option is to upload your pics to Walkhighlands itself - only way to guarantee not getting broken.

Quite alot of people are using Flickr, but you need a paid subscription to keep photos up longer term, and obviously if/when you stop the subscription your reports will break.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Safest option is to upload your pics to Walkhighlands itself - only way to guarantee not getting broken.

Quite alot of people are using Flickr, but you need a paid subscription to keep photos up longer term, and obviously if/when you stop the subscription your reports will break.

If, like many folk, you're posting a moderate number of images and aren't needing the hosting otherwise, definitely just upload them to WH itself. Its pretty simple and there will never be any future issues.

I, however, host a copy of all my images on Flickr anyway, and they get linked to various other blogs and posts, and I find it very easy to use and good value for money. So I do that for my trip reports and it also works very well.
I did get a bit stung by Photobucket, that I call photobucketofpoo, when they changed their terms and suddenly wanted big sums for a far inferior product. They were not helpful or sympathetic when contacted. So I am aware that if things ever changed at Flickr there could be potential issues. I have full back ups both on portable hard drives and via Adobe Lightroom too.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby teaandpies » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:10 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Safest option is to upload your pics to Walkhighlands itself - only way to guarantee not getting broken.

Oh nice, I don't remember that being an option in the past. Is it a relatively new feature on the site?

Mal Grey wrote:

If, like many folk, you're posting a moderate number of images and aren't needing the hosting otherwise, definitely just upload them to WH itself. Its pretty simple and there will never be any future issues.

I, however, host a copy of all my images on Flickr anyway, and they get linked to various other blogs and posts, and I find it very easy to use and good value for money. So I do that for my trip reports and it also works very well.
I did get a bit stung by Photobucket, that I call photobucketofpoo, when they changed their terms and suddenly wanted big sums for a far inferior product. They were not helpful or sympathetic when contacted. So I am aware that if things ever changed at Flickr there could be potential issues. I have full back ups both on portable hard drives and via Adobe Lightroom too.

Oh yeah...both have me over a barrel!

I might pay a month and download them all off their sites.

Cheers
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands