walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Marked/unmarked sections

Marked/unmarked sections

Postby KaisaN » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:41 am

I seem to remember that when looking at the overall route map of Scottish National Rail on this site, you used to be able to see which sections are waymarked and which are not. Like, the marked sections were shown in red and the unmarked in blue or the other way around. Am I right or am I making this up? Does such a feature still exist and where can I find it?
KaisaN
Walker

Re: Marked/unmarked sections

Postby teaandpies » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:13 pm

KaisaN wrote:I seem to remember that when looking at the overall route map of Scottish National Rail on this site, you used to be able to see which sections are waymarked and which are not. Like, the marked sections were shown in red and the unmarked in blue or the other way around. Am I right or am I making this up? Does such a feature still exist and where can I find it?

Yeah, you were able to do that. I'm pretty sure it was myself that had suggested that as a feature :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:6

Postby helenw » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:12 pm

The long distance trails map doesn't show which routes are waymarked (most are, apart from Cape Wrath Trail and Skye Trail), if they show up as red it means you have yet to complete that route, if they are blue you have completed it.

The Scottish National Trail is made up of a number of pre-existing trails, most - but not the Cape Wrath Trail - are waymarked, you'd need to look at the detailed description for each of the trails to see more info on waymarking. There isn't any specific waymarking for the Scottish National Trail except a plaque on the Water of Leith and similar at the end at Cape Wrath. Hope that helps.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby KaisaN » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:04 pm

Thank you. But this used to be different, right? Because I definitely had two different colours before and I haven't completed any of the sections, or I haven't logged them, because I didn't have an account until just now.
KaisaN
Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:58 am

Perhaps it was changed after (just about) all trails got waymarkers?

BTW on the main map all my routes red including fully complete ones. It's only when I click on the individual route it says on a stage-by-stage basis which parts are done (in blue).
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 pm

No - the colours have always been to mark what you have and haven't ticked as having done. It used to only work on the page with all the routes, and was then added so you could do it on the individual stages as well. It was never anything to do with waymarking. If you had different colours it may have been because we had routes getting marked by bots as an anonymous user, which meant colours changing when not logged in, but I think this was fixed.

We'll look into problems if this isn't working correctly - can you post a screenshot?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands