walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

How to... include a photograph in a post

How to... include a photograph in a post

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

As with lots of things, there are different ways you can do this!

RECOMMENDED: Using a photo-hosting site
To add a photograph which is already on the internet to one of your posts:

Many people upload their photos to the internet for sharing using popular websites such as Photobucket, Flickr or other photo hosting sites. Adding a photo you have uploaded to one of these sites to your post is easy. Find the photo on the photo sharing site; we recommend you going to the version that has a width of 800 pixels or less. Most photo hosting programs will let you copy a 'BBCODE' which you can then post directly into your walk report. If not, copy the filename of the photo (this can often be found by right clicking on it, pressing 'properties'; the filename is usually listed as the image location - it must end in .JPG). Put your cursor where you want the photo to appear in your post and then press the Img button. will appear - these are known as tags and anthing placed between them (between the ] and [) will be treated as a photo. Paste the filename of the photo between them. When you submit your post, you should see the photo there...

OR Without using a Photo-hosting site (uploading photos direct to Walkhighlands)
To add a photograph from your computer to one of your posts:

Uploading very large photos takes a very long time, so the best method is to firstl prepare the photo on your own computer using whatever software you use for editing your photos; make the photo a maximum of 690 pixels wide. This means it will fit nicely into your post. Save the new smaller photo in a different place if you want to keep the original as well.

To load the resized photo onto the site, start writing your post. Look beneath the white box where you type in your post and click on the 'Add a photograph or map' button. Use the 'browse' button to find the (resized) photo on your computer. Press 'Add the file' and wait for it to upload.

If you now submit your post then the photo(s) will appear at the bottom. If you want the photo to appear in with your text then you need to put your cursor where you want the photo to appear, and then click the 'place inline' button next to the photo file name you wish to put in that position. Anything you enter in the comment box will appear as a caption for the photo.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: How to... include a photograph in a post

Postby beth grant » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Is it possible to add a photo after a report has been posted?
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi Beth,

Yes, it should be. If you go to the post, there should be an 'edit' button for you to reopen it.

You can permanently edit walk report and wildlife posts, but posts on the general discussion and gear boards can only be edited for a short time.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby maddjock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 am

GSPAT wrote:
Can you tell me how I reduce a photo to 640 pixels wide.

Cheers

There are a few programs which can do this for you if you dont have photoshop or equivalent. The one that usually gets recommended I think is Gimp ; http://www.gimp.org/
havent used it myself, but it should get the job done. 8)
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:04 pm

GIMP is a superb program which we use alot on Walkhighlands. However it can be very confusing to those not looking to do advanced stuff - it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

For resizing your picture I'd recommend Picasa 3, which is a free photo organiser from Google. You can resize a whole folder of photos to a new location all in one go, ideal for making trip reports. Remember to choose width 640 pixels and you'll be done!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby GSPAT » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks Maddjock and Paul
GSPAT

Munros:107   Corbetts:33
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:93   

Postby beth grant » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to download Picassa 3,I couldn't believe how easy it is to use this site and will be able to send more pics with walk reports in future, Beth
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Fionas:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 pm

We've just uploaded a new feature on the Forum so that you don't HAVE to resize your photo before uploading it. If you upload a very large photo, walkhighlands will now resize it automatically at the correct size for display in the forum.

I would still recommend resizing your pics before uploading, as that way they upload much faster... uploading giant 11 Megapixel images can take ages :shock:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby MacCookie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Is walkhighlands actually resampling the image and displaying a lower resolution file or just changing the html so that it appears that the image is smaller (but you still have to download the full size image!).

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi Ewen

We are regenerating a new smaller image, so you only have to download the new, smaller file. The quality should be alot better than an image resized by your browser too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby MacCookie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

Paul Webster wrote:We are regenerating a new smaller image, so you only have to download the new, smaller file. The quality should be alot better than an image resized by your browser too.

Good good! Our office internet connection is pretty slow at lunch times, so looking at pages full of photos can be quite time consuming if the file sizes are large.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby peterg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 am

I have just posted three photos on my account of an ascent of An Stuc. I would like to the photos to appear in chronological sequence - i.e. the order in which I took them. At the moment they are out of sequence - is there a way of fixing this?
Also, what is meant by the instruction Place Inline next to the attachment on the edit page?
peterg

Munros:282   Corbetts:2

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Peterg

You have almost answered the question. If you put your cursor at the point in your post where you want a photo to appear, and click 'place inline' - then that photo will appear at that point in your text when you submit your post, instead of at the bottom. You can use this to add captions too. Have a go and let me know if you have any problems.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby peterg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 am

FIxed it Paul - many thanks
peterg

Munros:282   Corbetts:2

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Bump!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands