walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

What would you like help with?

Re: What would you like help with?

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Paul, I'm having trouble getting my dynamic Munro/Corbett/Graham maps.

I've tried via the top tab and through my account. The page comes up with the list of hills on the right side, but although there is a space for the map, it doesn't come up, even with a bit of aimless clicking on the area and patiently waiting for a wee while.
What am I doing wrong ?

Rgds Gordon
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi again Paul,
I switched browsers from Explorer to Firefox and I got my personal Munro map - nae bother.
However, when I returned to Explorer, which I still had running, It started to update the map.
I guess it was a software lockup with Explorer..........another mystery !
Sorry to bother you - I seemed to have stumbled on a fix !

Rgds Gordon
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Postby inca » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:38 am

Hi,

Please can somebody advise if the procedure for deleting an unwanted trip report has changed. I inadvertently recorded a 2001 duplicate report in my Walks blog. An oldish Help topic on the site advises that the only way to have this removed is to use the triangular 'Report Post' icon at the top of the report in question. I did this (I think correctly) several days ago but the relevant report is still in situ. There does not appear to be an option to 're-report' the post.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here. Is it possible for a user to delete their own report in these circumstances or does that task still fall to Admin? If it is the latter, is there a new way of requesting the deletion?

Thanks.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 pm

inca wrote: Is it possible for a user to delete their own report in these circumstances or does that task still fall to Admin? If it is the latter, is there a new way of requesting the deletion?

Not 100% sure, but I think you have to send a PM to Paul and ask him to remove the unwanted report. There is no "delete report" button on the blog site anywhere.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 pm

The report has already been deleted - it can sometimes take longer than a day.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby inca » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Haven't quite figured out copy and pasting yet BP but thanks for your assistance. Must be getting old as I thought it was longer than that Paul :? Thanks very much for the removal regardless. I appreciate you'll have loads to do on here. Bit dopey of me to create a duplicate in the first place.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby FiferStu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:04 pm

HOW TO POST PICS ON TRIP REPORTS??

Sorry but this has me confused. I know there's a guide to this on the FAQs, and I've read it and followed it, but I can't see how to do it.

I use Flickr. That's where all my walking pics are. Can't see how to get a BBCode from an image. Right-clicking on an image that's open only brings up the 'All Rights Reserved' window.

Right-clicking on a thumbnail brings up the following options:

Open link in new window
Open link in new tab
Download linked file
Download linked file as...
Copy link

I've tried the bottom three options, none of which work, and the top two options are quite obviously not applicable.

Can anyone help?

Regards
FiferStu
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:14
Fionas:15   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:10   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Try this:

Right click on the image to get the "All rights reserved" panel.
Left click on the size you want (try Medium 800 or Large 1024).
Right click on the image and Copy Link (or whatever it's called in your browser).
Paste URL into the "Post a reply" box.
Highlight the URL.
Click the Img button above the box to enclose the URL in img and /img tags.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am

Just to add in a third set of instructions... this is the official Flickr way.

Click on the arrow coming out of a box icon near the bottom right of the photo page on Flickr. Make sure you have selected the 'Grab the HTML/BB Code' arrow. At the bottom, click on the BBCode radiobutton (NOT the HTML one). Choose the size closest to 800px across (usually Medium, depending on original size of your pic). Copy the code given into your WH report.

Once you've done the 1st one it gets quicker as it usually remembers you wanted the BBCode etc.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 am

The official way Paul posted is a bit easier, especailly if you are adding more than one photo, so ignore my post above!

The official way adds some text with links below the photo: if you don't want these then you can just delete everying after the first [/url] tag.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby FiferStu » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:08 pm

To Paul W and jmarkb - many thanks for your responses. I think I've cracked it! Paul's suggestion seems to work. Once you've done it once, as they say...

I now look forward to posting my first trip report. Thanks to you both again :D

Regards
FiferStu
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:14
Fionas:15   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:10   

Postby snowgoose » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm

How to edit a walk report and resubmit the edited version without ending up with TWO reports - one edited and one (the original) not. And, having done it wrong the first time, and ended up WITH two report - how to delete the unedited one - or any of them?
snowgoose
Mountaineer

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello,
Is it possible to transfer from a 'Word' document including images directly to a post on the Forum? I did try to find some information through the topics but failed.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby daisyabbott » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the site and can't believe that I can't work this out myself but have spent a while trying and searching this forum for smartphone tips so here goes...

All I want is to get a route map onto my smartphone so I can use in it conjunction with GPS in either google maps or google earth (either, I don't mind which). Or even better, but I'm not sure this is possible, to see my location on the OS maps.
I can get the kmz file onto my computer by downloading it, but how do I view it via the Google Earth app on the phone, given it's a file not a url?

Thanks in advance for your help.

At the moment I can't see the route maps on this site but searching indicates that this is due to my work blocking it, my phone shows the OS maps, albeit at glacial speeds!
daisyabbott

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:02 am

Hi Daisy

You should be able to view the route maps on your smartphone using the site, just normally, but only whilst you are connected to the internet.

To save the OS maps for offline use on your smartphone you need a special license, which is more expensive than the one needed to simply display the maps when online (which is the one we pay for). You can instead buy the maps for use offline using a dedicated smartphone app - I'd recommend Viewranger for this. This app will also show your location on the maps.

What you can download from Walkhighlands is the _route_, which is then shown as a line on the map. You can do this through Viewranger by paying £1.50, or you can do it for free by downloading the gpx file and then transferring that to your phone and importing it into Viewranger (if you get a file manager app on your phone then you can download on your phone and import into Viewranger).

Gaffr

I'm afraid it isn't possible to copy and paste a document including images in the way you describe. You can only copy and paste the text; the photos have to be uploaded or shown using BBCode from Flickr or another location in the usual way.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands