walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Best way to post photos?

Best way to post photos?

Postby garyoppolis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:44 pm

I usually upload my photos to Facebook and then paste image URLs into my walk reports on here. I've gone back through my old walk reports and realised that none of the photos are now visible - had the same thing a while ago but updating the URLs seems to work.

Does Facebook periodically change the URLs of photos?

What's the preferred way of uploading full size photos to then link to in a WR?
garyoppolis

Munros:136   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Best way to post photos?

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Gary

Yes, that would be the result of Facebook changing the urls :(

If you don't want to upload the resized photos to Walkhighlands, I think the easiest/best way is using Flickr.

Last time I checked you get 1GB of storage for free. Once your photos are on there, there's a share button bottom right corner, choose BBCODE and large size, then paste the code it gives you into Walkhighlands.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I'd avoid the use of Photobucket as well, that is what I started with and it used to be good but it is just so ad covered now that it is near unusable. Think I'll go sign up to Flickr and see what it is like.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I switched from Photobucketofpoo to Flickr about a year or so ago, much better, and 1TB of storage for free.

Facebook, as you say, drops out after a while. I've only heard similar things about Google storage too.

I also think Flickr has the most attractive design and shows the images at their best. The only disadvantage is that you can't link from thumbnails, as you can on Photobucket, you have to open each image in turn.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:31 pm

A TB? Wow! Or was that a typo of GB? I can see Flickr becoming my off site storage for all my photos if it isn't!

Something than many people probably don't care about but is still pretty cool is that Flickr's usage policy doesn't give them the right to reuse your photos as they see fit, unlike Facebook and others (at least that is what my Googling has turned up.)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:A TB? Wow! Or was that a typo of GB? I can see Flickr becoming my off site storage for all my photos if it isn't!

Something than many people probably don't care about but is still pretty cool is that Flickr's usage policy doesn't give them the right to reuse your photos as they see fit, unlike Facebook and others (at least that is what my Googling has turned up.)

A TB indeed! 9122 photos, most of which are 3-8mb each, have taken up just 6.8% of my allowance! Should be good for another few years at that rate!

I have about 12000 on Photobucketofpoo, if I remember correctly, which I am paying something like US$60 a year to store, as many are linked to blogs and reports and I don't have time to re-do all the links, or to move the photos for that matter. Flickr completely free.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Facebook, as you say, drops out after a while. I've only heard similar things about Google storage too.

I don't know about Facebook (never used the thing) but Google Photos storage (formerly Picasa) works fine for me, I started using it in 2011 and all image locations in my old reports still work as they should.

Google Photos only give you 15 GB free storage, but after 5 years of regular TR posting, I still haven't filled my account :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:11 pm

I found Picasa great but Google killed it off aaargh!!
I eventually worked out how to use google photos but it keeps changing and now I can't upload anything - just get some silly error message and instruction to contact support - BUT of course THERE IS NO support. Don't use Facebook - don't want to.
I looked at Flickr but could work out how to use it - has no-one written a Flickr for dummies? I'm completely stuck at the moment
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:27 pm

past my sell by date wrote:I looked at Flickr but could work out how to use it - has no-one written a Flickr for dummies? I'm completely stuck at the moment

If you can be a bit more specific about you problem(s) with Flickr, maybe we can help?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:37 pm

jmarkb wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:I looked at Flickr but could work out how to use it - has no-one written a Flickr for dummies? I'm completely stuck at the moment

If you can be a bit more specific about you problem(s) with Flickr, maybe we can help?

Thanks I just didn't seem to be able to get started at all - it said I needed a different E-mail from my normal BT one which worried me.
Having got on fine with Picasa, I eventually worked out how to use google photos. In many ways it was easier - you just clicked Copy and paste but now my photos won't download. It asks me to check that I'm connected to the internet so maybe my connection doesn't have enough bandwidth at busy times. I guess I'll keep trying for a bit before taking the big step of having another go at Flickr.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:58 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Thanks I just didn't seem to be able to get started at all - it said I needed a different E-mail from my normal BT one which worried me.

I think there are still some complications from the former connection between Yahoo and BT. It is maybe best to avoid registering with a BT account.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:15 pm

jmarkb wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:Thanks I just didn't seem to be able to get started at all - it said I needed a different E-mail from my normal BT one which worried me.

I think there are still some complications from the former connection between Yahoo and BT. It is maybe best to avoid registering with a BT account.

Thanks I'll keep in touch
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:16 pm

past my sell by date wrote:
jmarkb wrote:

I found that my photos uploaded OK next day so it was obviously just a bandwidth issue. Here in rural Perthshire BT's broadband is pretty minimal. I don't much like Google photos but I think i'll stick with it on a devil you know basis - thanks for your interest
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:38 pm

past my sell by date wrote: I don't much like Google photos but I think i'll stick with it on a devil you know basis - thanks for your interest

No problem - glad you have a reasonable solution!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Just a test post to see if I can link directly from Dropbox

Nope, that doesn't work!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands