walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Trig point on Sgurr a'Mhuilinn?

Trig point on Sgurr a'Mhuilinn?

Postby hillandben » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Is there a trig point on the Corbett Sgurr a'Mhuilinn, 879m? I did the two Corbetts Meall an Uan, 840m and Sgurr a'Mhuillin, 879m above Strathconon on Saturday 23 June 2018 using a 1988 edition of the OS 1:50,000 Landranger map, no 25. A trig point is marked on the map for the summit of Sgurr a'Mhuillin but I could not find one, despite searching around in the cloud. The pic in Walk Highlands route description only has a pile of stones and that's all I found, probably the same pile, but my pic does not match exactly the WH pile. As I am in quest of all the Corbetts, I would appreciate any confirmation. Not that I won't go back there if there is a trig point and I didn't find it - excuse for another day on the hill. Every day out there is wonderful. It's just that I would like to know and thus feel obliged to return or otherwise, thereby fulfilling the quest with more certainty. For what it's worth, I have done all the Munros (1991) and Meall an Uan would be no 180, with Sgurr a'Mhuilinn no 181 on the Corbett list of 222.
hillandben
Stravaiging

Re: Trig point on Sgurr a'Mhuilinn?

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm

I reckon its an Ex-Trig Point, pushing up the daisies, it is deceased, no more etc...

Its not on the 1:25k, and this page seems to confirm: http://trigpointing.uk/trigs/view-album.php?t=7327 Who knew there was a website just for Trigpoints!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Trig point on Sgurr a'Mhuilinn?

Postby malky_c » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:19 pm

I thought I remembered one but it appears I was wrong. Have a look through the walk reports written by people who have been up it and you will see some photos.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands