walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

Backing up WRs

Backing up WRs

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Given the problems folk have progressively experienced with Photobucket....

.... and also the fact that pictures in some older drawn from Flickr are showing as not available....

... is there any straightforward way of backing up WRs? eg by cutting and pasting, and then linking photos to backup copies one has on one's own system, or something like that?

I can copy the entire reports into Word (but can't get panos to fit on the page - do you have any idea how to correct this in a simple manner?); or copy the edit screen text into Word (but then I have to go through the laborious business of renaming the links to the pictures - which I can do though, because I always retain the date and time on my pics in Flickr - it just takes an age :( ).

Any tips/help/suggestions would be gratefully received!!! It's clear from various posts over the past few years that I'm not the only one with anxieties on this front.

I suppose that one could get round some of this by posting pics in reports in future within the WH size limit; but the problem for me there is that I like to look at pictures at full screen size, and the resolution at the WH size limit severely reduces the quality of the visual experience.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Backing up WRs

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I usually write my reports first in Word, so I know that I'll always have a backup copy of the text, but I've been trying to figure out whether there's an easy way to get them all -- including the photos -- into a hard copy version.
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes, an issue that has been preoccupying my mind for some time. I also write up in Word and save copies of the photos to external storage devices. Then it is just a case of (very slowly!!!) going back through my walks blog and printing off after doing a bit of cutting and pasting. Costs a bloody fortune in printing but I guess what the folks at work don't know......... :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:47 am

Copying and pasting is what I've usually suggested to get your own copy outside WH.

But it's just occurred to me that a better option that might be what you are looking for is to:
1- go to your report and view it on the 'print' view (printer icon towards the top right)
2- scroll through your whole report to make sure all the photos have loaded (very important!)
3- choose to print from your browser menu, but rather than sending it to your printer, you should be able to print to a PDF file.

You can then get your walk reports pretty neatly in pdf format with all the photos included in it - not reliant on where the original photos are stored - and the maps seem to work OK like this too (though obviously not interactive). Obviously the files are massive if you've a report with lots of photos 8) Not sure whether this is what you are looking for but thought it was worth putting up as an idea.

We have several levels of backup within Walkhighlands, but I guess that's not what you are asking as its not in a readable format.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks Paul. Useful information. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks, Paul. I just tried this, and it does exactly what I want -- I'll print WRs to PDF, then probably send them away to be printed as cost-effectively as possible (given that I don't have free access to a color printer, ala Graeme! :lol: ). Maps aren't any problem, and as an added bonus, any comments are also included, along with the WH URL at the top of the first page.

There's my foul-weather winter project sorted!
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands