walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

spamhaus.org preventing me posting

spamhaus.org preventing me posting

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 am

Your IP 151.227.245.197 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=151.227.245.197

Currently having to use a VPN to post.

And yes I've been to the site trying to get a delist. Turns out I can't use my gmail email account (the only one I have) I just use, and I quote

Use your real address at your own domain. Do not use a free email address (no gmail/hotmail/yahoo/etc.).

Yeah I don't have a "real" email address and I certainly don't have my own domain. This is Sky's domain, not mine.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: spamhaus.org preventing me posting

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:54 am

Sorry to hear this. I'm guessing you understand what has happened - someone else using Sky has been reported as a genuine spammer elsewhere on the internet, that IP has been blacklisted by spamhaus, and then Sky have shuffled the IP addresses around so that you've got the blacklisted spammers one. Not good as it probably means the real spammer is spamming away to his hearts content on a new Sky IP.

We don't have the facility to take out individual IPs from the spamhaus checking.

Given you've inherited this IP from someone else, I'm guessing Sky will shuffle the IP addresses between their customers again at some point, and then the problem will go away (for you - someone else will get it!). This may happen straight away if you restart your router, so that's something you could try.

In terms of getting the IP address delisted from spamhaus, I think what you would have to do is ask Sky to get the IP address delisted. It's their IP address, as you say, and they've obviously transferred it to you from a dodgy customer.

Hope this makes sense and things get sorted soon.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby jmarkb » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 am

A possible temporary workaround for this issue is to save the post as a draft, then log on to WH using your mobile over the phone network (i.e. not via your wireless) and submit the post from there.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby nigheandonn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm blocked at one end of my work building and not at the other!

What I find difficult - because I often sit down the other end at lunchtime - is that although saving isn't blocked, previewing is. Is that something that could be changed at the WH side? I can always wait until I get back to my desk to post, but I can't write a report without seeing the pictures!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby KatTai » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:36 pm

I have the same problem. To fix it and get a new IP address simply unplug your sky internet box for 60 seconds and then plug back in and allow to restart, this will result in a new IP address hopefully one which isn't blocked :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands