walkhighlands

How to... guides to Walkhighlands

OS 25k ex WH on mobile phone

OS 25k ex WH on mobile phone

Postby rrwest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

This has probably been asked and discussed but I do not find.
For years I have printed out a section of OS 25k map for the planned walk (if I did not have the OS map anyway!).
Now attempting to be 'modern', have got a mobile (Samsung galaxy) that will access WH and OS map.
However (logged in) I do not find the white box top left (as when map opened on computer) to enter 'Pen y fan' (or wherever) and that the map will not drag (one finger) or enlarge (two finger stretch) and does not mark location, as Google maps. It is difficult to hit correctly the small cross (NSEW) and small + - at top right even with warm dry fingers indoors (practising) and I get a mass of 'waypoints' around those controls (which I cannot delete as no white box in top left).
Any advice - or shall I prepare magnification and location for start of planned walk and attempt to remember to move map (NSEorW) as necessary every half hour or so ?
RW
rrwest
Stravaiging

Re: OS 25k ex WH on mobile phone

Postby Raynor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Not 100% sure what you are asking? Is it the map on WH or OS maps you are having problems with accessing on the mobile?

I would suggest downloading the view ranger app on your phone for map use. There is a free basic version, and a premium version with all OS maps for around £25 a year. You can then download a walking route and load it onto the app to follow. Or you can use it to track your location and route.

My personal opinion is that the official OS Maps app is rubbish. There are as yet unresolved issues with saving offline maps and the GPS tracking is dodgy to say the least.

I personally buy paper OS maps and redeem the code for the app but only use it as a backup. Viewranger is much more reliable and easier to use.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 pm

I think you are trying to use the GPS planner. I'm afraid that that will not work on phones.

The OS 1:25k maps on each individual walk route on Walkhighlands work with phone touch controls, and should be fine to use when you are on wifi etc. or have great signal (your position will be shown if your settings allow it). But as Walkhighlands is a website it requires internet connection, so we wouldn't recommend using the online maps when out on a walk.

A better bet is to use an app like Viewranger which can legally store OS maps that you purchase within it.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby rrwest » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:11 pm

Thank you both,
Think I will continue to use paper - and maybe just occassionally use mobile for a 'fix' on google map for confirmation!
RW
rrwest
Stravaiging

Postby Raynor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 pm

rrwest wrote:Thank you both,
Think I will continue to use paper - and maybe just occassionally use mobile for a 'fix' on google map for confirmation!
RW

I quite often print out sections on paper as well, and usually also have the actual physical copy of the os map.

Not sure what type of walking you do but if it is hillwalking, just be aware that you are unlikely to get a mobile phone/data signal in most remote areas so you will not be able to load any websites or services such as google maps. Apps like viewranger allow you to download the map beforehand for "offline" use when you have no signal and the location "fix" is achieved by GPS. Hope that makes sense :thumbup:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby mash tun » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:25 pm

rrwest wrote:Thank you both,
RW

Alternatively you could download a free app from google play which uses your phone gps to give an OS grid ref which, if needed, you could then use with your paper map
mash tun

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Help - how to use Walkhighlands