walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Water filtration

Water filtration

Postby brother52 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi,I am currently getting an overnight hiking kit together and am looking at water filtration. I will be primarily doing 1 night camp outs but also plan the WHW in early summer. I have been streamlining the weight on the tent, mat and bag so dont want to carry too much in the way of water. Can anyone recommend a good filtration system or one to avoid? Also have the same question on camping stove versus jetboil? Any recommendations on that?
brother52

Munros:74   

Re: Water filtration

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 pm

I use the Sawyer Mini filter, attached to a Platypus Big Zip Hoser bladder. Assuming I use a filter at all, depends where I am.

Personally, I prefer the versatility of a "normal" gas stove and pans over a Jetboil. Mine is the Alpkit Koru, which fits inside a mug, inside a set of their MytiStax pans. Easier to cook bacon on! For one nighters, though, Jetboils seem good.

Unfortunately the weak pound seems to mean these products have gone up quite a bit recently.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm always astonished by how quickly my jetboil boils a mug of water, and as someone who pretty much chain-drinks tea all day it's a godsend. That said, it's almost impossible to cook 'properly' on it - so for the odd night out I live on just-add-boiling-water dehydrated stuff. You may want to let your tastebuds make that decision for you :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 am

Re filter, Sawyer mini filter for me too. Needs no battery power source, water can be squeezed through it quite quickly (think 1.7ltr per minute if squeeze quite hard) and it's lightweight.
It comes with a small 1/2ltr bag which you fill, screw on to the filter then squeeze water through it into your clean receptacle. Got a tip from the sawyereurope managing director - he uses a 2ltr PET Coke bottle which is easier to fill in streams/burns, holds more and can be squashed flat - filter thread attaches to most bottles of this type. Before using outside for real, I did test it out at home by repeatedly filling, emptying, squashing flat, opening out and refilling - the bottle looks very dented but doesn't leak and works a treat - it's also very light and can be squashed down easily - cheers :)
Still available for £21 on amazon

Re stoves, I use a Vango compact gas stove. Boils 1l of water in under 4mins. Think it weighs a little over 100gr. Under £12 from Amazon

When camping, I tend to use dehydrated foods - breakfast being mix of oats/dried milk/sultanas/sugar carried in one of the oven cook chicken bags - I just add boiling water and mix up so no washing up. Also ready mix custard, couscous, mountainhouse meals etc. That way I only need one pot and lid as I'm only boiling up water - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby brother52 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Was thinking along the lines of the 'just add boiling water' approach. Not what i would prefer to do at home but needs must and the weight, or lack of, in dehydrated tips the scales in favour. Am thinking along the lines of the Sawyer as it looks just about perfect and is also cheap! No small consideration since I have blown a hole in my dzughters inheritance already with the other stuff I jave bought. Will give the camping stove versus jetboil some consideration, though it might come down to weight and pack size. Thanks again, food for thought indeed!
brother52

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I've got the Platypus gravity system as per below:

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... lsrc=aw.ds

Compared with a borrowed 'pumped' filter I used recently I think it's a lot more convenient, the pumped system seemed to take forever to fill a 1l bottle whereas the gravity system takes two or three minutes for 2 litres, and you can wander off and do something else while it's at it 8)

Can't compare carry size or weight however, it packs up to about the same volume as a 1 litre Nalgene bottle.

I could even be persuaded to part with mine for the right price, I keep thinking it's handy to have but I'm unlikely to be doing any trips which require a filter in the near future... Let me know if you're interested.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby basscadet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I have never used water processing in Scotland, and have never been sick from drinking the water - I really don't understand why folk go to the bother in this country - just take a bit of common sense with you instead - lighter than anything so far suggested :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:16 pm

basscadet wrote:I have never used water processing in Scotland, and have never been sick from drinking the water - I really don't understand why folk go to the bother in this country - just take a bit of common sense with you instead - lighter than anything so far suggested :D

Normally I'd agree but since suffering once (and once was more than enough despite being careful) I've generally tended to filter water when gathering larger quantities (not so much for smaller sips/drinks). It's the usual story I guess - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby basscadet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 pm

rockhopper wrote:
basscadet wrote:I have never used water processing in Scotland, and have never been sick from drinking the water - I really don't understand why folk go to the bother in this country - just take a bit of common sense with you instead - lighter than anything so far suggested :D

Normally I'd agree but since suffering once (and once was more than enough despite being careful) I've generally tended to filter water when gathering larger quantities (not so much for smaller sips/drinks). It's the usual story I guess - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another - cheers :)

Oh yes, I was lapse in Australia and became host to a bunch of wormy things :shock: :sick:

The mains water where I grew up was untreated - just water from the peat bog that varied in colour depending on the amount of recent rainfall - I would expect many rural water systems are similar but because it comes out of the tap, visitors don't give it a second thought :lol:

IMO, you are more likely to get a bug by not washing your hands properly when you go to the toilet, which is a far more likely in a hilly environment when your hands are cold, the water is icy and you don't have your soap handy..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Fiona Reid » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Personally I've not bothered with water filter. Instead I use https://www.watertogo.eu/ or similar type bottle with a filter in the lid and just drink from that.

Whilst I'm sure most of the water in the hills is fine if gathered away from livestock/other humans etc I'd rather not risk
it.

My other half had about 6 weeks of feeling dodgy after drinking stream water on a hot summers day where the sheep were up at Munro height and thus getting water well away from animals was pretty well impossible. He was never really ill just a slightly dicky tummy but since then we've both opted to use a Water-to-Go bottle.

I guess if you're likely to be away from water sources then a water filter could be useful to ensure you've enough for the day or whatever. In Scotland I find it's v. rarely a problem to find water...
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby BobMcBob » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:24 pm

basscadet wrote:
rockhopper wrote:

Oh yes, I was lapse in Australia and became host to a bunch of wormy things :shock: :sick:

The mains water where I grew up was untreated - just water from the peat bog that varied in colour depending on the amount of recent rainfall - I would expect many rural water systems are similar but because it comes out of the tap, visitors don't give it a second thought :lol:

IMO, you are more likely to get a bug by not washing your hands properly when you go to the toilet, which is a far more likely in a hilly environment when your hands are cold, the water is icy and you don't have your soap handy..

A mate of mine picked up something in the Lake District that nearly killed him. Another picked up something in Africa that means he'll die if he ever eats dairy again.

The water at my parent's new house is untreated - which explains why I always have a dodgy stomach whenever I visit them.

I'm sure if you're careful and know what you're doing, and especially if you grew up with it and your body is used to it, then not treating your water is pretty safe, but I'll always use a filter because neither of those things apply to me :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm

basscadet wrote:The mains water where I grew up was untreated - just water from the peat bog that varied in colour depending on the amount of recent rainfall - I would expect many rural water systems are similar but because it comes out of the tap, visitors don't give it a second thought :lol:

It's all treated now (at Backies if you're interested) unless you have your own private supply. If it wasn't, I wouldn't get half of the working day skives out on the hills that I get!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby crfishwick » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:25 pm

I agree there. I have never had problems after over 40 years. But a few people get paraniod about safety. If in doubt boil the ruddy stuff or use a purifying tablet. That gets rid of everything unlike water filters.

After getting on my horse I have two a life straw, useless in my opinion and also just bought a Sawyers mini purifier recently :shock: I am a glutton for buying equipment I will never use :crazy:
crfishwick

Postby brother52 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:35 pm

I have to say I have drank from streams on the munro walks, but only close to the summit level and reasonably fast flowing water. Rarely had the need to though since I normally have enough to get me back to the car. Since I know that carrying enough on the WHW is out of the auestion and the filters dont weigh that much, then its too much of a risk not taking one. I basically see it being a lightweight but handy zddition so I will be getting one, just need to decide which. I appreciate all the input from you guys as it helps in the decision.
brother52

Postby walkingpoles » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

I like my filter, even though I went for a heavy option.
On long distance walks (or holidays in Africa) it is occasionaly convenient (or inevitable) to drink from slightly doubtful water sources. Boiling water works, too, but is more hassle. Also you don't drink the sand and other stuff that's in the water, which is bonus of a filtering system versus any other like steripen or chemicals.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk