walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Multi-country boots

Multi-country boots

Postby AmyElle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi all,

First post here, I've been reading the forum for a while but never posted, so hello all.

I am looking for a pair of boots that will do me a good few years in various countries. I walk regularly in Scotland and I am going to New Zealand next month with plans to visit Canada and Alaska next year. I don't do that demanding hikes, I just need something waterproof that will last. I've been into Tiso and tried Meindl Bhutans and Torontos, Mammut Trovats, Berghaus Hillwalkers and Scarpa Terras. I found the Meindls and Mammuts the comfiest but they are also the most expensive. I've found Meindl Gomeras and Hanwag Tatras online which are slightly cheaper and wondered if anyone had any experience with them? I know every boot is different for every person but I have a few brands that do seem to fit well. I am a bit reluctant to buy Meindls as I have seen a few people complaining about their longevity and their UK distribution team's lack of customer service and I don't want to spend near £200 on a pair of boots that might not last (as much as I like the Bhutans). Also to complicate matters I am an awkward ladies 5.5 so limited to brands that do half sizes.

In short if anyone has any experience with Meindl Bhutans, Gomeras or Torontos, Mammut Trovats or Hanwag Tatras I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
AmyElle
AmyElle

Re: Multi-country boots

Postby stinker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:32 pm

The Altberg Tethera Ladies might be worth a closer look.

Not cheap but they have excellent reviews, available in 5 width fitting and half sizes and can be resoled if and when required.

Find your nearest local stockist on Altberg's website
stinker
Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Forget the cost, buy the most comfortable ones. Walking mile after mile in boots that don't quite fit will spoil the fun. For me they're the single most important piece of equipment.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby AmyElle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:37 am

Hi both,

Thanks for your recommendations, you’re right the Tetheras look like fantastic boots and the option for different widths and half sizes is great and worth the money. I’m going to go to my local stockist at the weekend and take a look.

Cheers,
AmyElle
AmyElle

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

I've owned Tetheras and the Bhutans and found the former marginally more comfortable. Not much in it mind you.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk