walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

A Garmin GPS Map64s problem

A Garmin GPS Map64s problem

Postby Romany » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi All,

A question for any Garmin GPS Map64s users out there.

I had one for about 6 months, downloading Walk Highland routes, and using them without any problems. Unfortunately, the unit developed a problem with the USB connection port, but Cotswold replaced it under warranty without a quibble. I duly fired up the new unit, and dowloaded a Walk Highland route, but when I go to Route Planner > Select the route > View Map > Go - I get the message "Only 50 points can be used for On Road navigation" Its as though the unit thinks I am using it for a car over a very small area, which makes me think there is a problem with the setup. If anyone has had any similar problem and can make a suggestion, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, its back to the nice people at Cotswold to see if they can help.
Romany
Munro compleatist

Munros:190   Corbetts:16
Islands:53

Re: A Garmin GPS Map64s problem

Postby china88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:04 pm

50 points is the max that can be used for 'on road navigation' but that would give you about 200km

if you are downloading the routes from Walk Highlands it sounds as though you are using the GPS to calculate a 'route' for you based on the route on the walkhighland gpx file.....again how many points are in the walk highland route file, I suspect more than 50 in which case you will see the error you are seeing

Alternatively if the Walk Highlands route file is less than 50 then your GPS may not be using the same map as what Walk Highlands use

As a general I never ask the GPS to calculate a route for me, what I tend to do is, if I ever download a gpx file as a route is to convert it to a track (ie a line which will appear on my GPS )which I can refer to if my compass skills let me down
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby Romany » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks China88, I will give that a try. What puzzles me is that I had no issues with my previous Map64s, which makes me think that I might have set this one up differently. I will spend some more time on it over the weekend to see if I can work it out.
Romany
Munro compleatist

Postby china88 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Romany go to set up on your device and choose settings:

routing

then activity =hiking

Lock on road-=no

but I would urge you to convert the route you download from Walkhighland to a track

you can download Garmin Basecamp to do that

once the track is converted send to your device using Basecamp and then follow the track line on your device

good luck
china88
Munro compleatist

Postby Romany » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Thank again China88. Interestingly, my settings seem to have been correct, but the Routes still won't run. But I have taken your advice and converted the Routes to Tracks, which look a lot cleaner. I am curious to see how effective the Tracks are in practice, and looking forward to trying them out. Cheers!
Romany
Munro compleatist

Postby Stecky » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Romany.
I have exactly the same problem with a gpsmaps 64s I bought from Go Outdoors yesterday.

I have been in touch with Go Outdoors, Garmin tech and Dalesman (UK distributor) to no avail yet but I am confident there is a fix for this because yours worked originally and I used to own an Oregon 650 which had exactly the same problem but a Garmin rep talked me through a fix in settings and after that I downloaded many gpx files from WH which had a lot more than 50 points and worked perfectly.

I will post here again when I get it fixed but if you get help from Cotswold please let me know what they did, I’m sure there will be a fix but if there isn’t mine is going back to Go Outdoors for a refund - wish I’d gone to Cotswolds as I live in Stirling.

Good luck,
Colin.
Stecky
Munro compleatist

Postby Stecky » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Romany.

Got mine fixed and just tested with a route containing 144 waypoints (max is 250 per route and max routes is 200).

Did a full factory reset and changed set up as follows:
POSITION FORMAT
- British Grid
- Map Datum Orders Srvy GB
- Map Spheroid Airy (no choice)

ROUTING
- Activity Direct Routing
- Route Transitions Auto
- Lock on Road No

- Set to hiking

I think everything else is just a matter of personal choice. I also think the position format is crucial because as standard the unit is set to longitude and latitude (hddd.mm.mmm') which don't work for a .gpx file mapping on OS maps. Only other thing is make sure the .gpx file you test with is one you have used before and know it works.

Hopefully you won't need this anymore but it might help someone else.

BR,
Colin.
Stecky
Munro compleatist

Postby Romany » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks - I will try these setting and let you know how I get on - it does look as if it should solve the issue.

Regards,

Alan
Romany
Munro compleatist

Postby Romany » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Colin,

I am please to say that your suggested change to the settings seems to have done the trick :-). Although I was initially annoyed about the problem, it has been a useful exercise, as it made me find out more about how the GPS works, and converting Routes to Tracks (as suggested by China88). So, I am heading out this weekend armed with both the appropriate Route and Track to see which one is easier to use. Thanks again for your help.

Alan
Romany
Munro compleatist

Postby SCOTTISHSPARK » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Guys.
I've just bought a Garmin Etrex 35& having the exact same problem.
How do you convert the routes to tracks?
SCOTTISHSPARK

Munros:103   Corbetts:7
Donalds:3

Postby china88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:01 pm

SCOTTISHSPARK wrote:Hi Guys.
I've just bought a Garmin Etrex 35& having the exact same problem.
How do you convert the routes to tracks?

There are a number of ways to do this, this is how I do it

this looks complicated but it takes me about 20 secs to do it using Garmin Basecamp

Download 'Garmin Basecamp', its free

Once installed

In a window pane top left you will see 'Library' and 'My Collection'

Right Click 'My Collection' click 'New List Folder'

Right click the Folder you have you have just created it will\may be called 'New Folder'

Click 'File' on the menu bar at the top

Click 'import into new folder' the GPX file that you have

Basecamp will import the file and if you have your Etrex plugged into your computer you will see the route or track displayed in the big window pane on the right

if you don't have you Etrex plugged into your computer don't worry

Right click the gpx file in the bottom window pane

Here you can do a number of things, but what you wish to do is to create a track----if the GPX file in the lower window pane is being displayed with 2 shoes next to it its a track

if the shoes don't appear next to the file and you have another symbol you probably have a route

if you don't have the shoe symbol next to the track --then you will have a route--right click the GPX file look for the option which states 'create track from selected route'

Once completed you then have a track from the selected route or if if was a track originally and you wanted to create a route that is what you will have

Now double click the GPX file again (it should show the 2 shoes symbols next to it)

A window will pop up where you can do various things but for now change the colour of the track from the standard black to a colour more visable on the map--

look at the top right of the pop up screen it should say dark grey or black...change the colour of the track that suits you so that it displays well on the Etrex map that you have installed......I use Magneta colour

Close the pop up once you have changed the colour of the track

if you want to send the track to your Etrex then:

make sure you have your Etrex plugged into your PC

In Basecamp

On the file menu click 'Device' then click 'send to Device'

Basecamp knows where to put the file

Once you restart your Etrex you should see the track in the 'Where to' button then press 'tracks'

if you use this method and get stuck just email me if you wish
china88
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk