walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Men's and women's winter shells

Men's and women's winter shells

Postby mattmjones » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, but was just wondering if you could offer some buyer's advice. I'm doing a UKML winter mountaineering course in the Cairngorms in Feb, and am in need of a new winter waterproof shell. I'm looking to spend up to £300 if necessary, but could do with some thoughts on the comparative benefits of various membranes etc as well as fit. I'm tall and slim (6' 4", 40" chest), which means I usually sit awkwardly between a M and a L in outdoor kit. At the moment it's a toss-up between the following:

- ME Lhotse or Tupilak - both Gore-Tex Pro. Leaning towards the Tupilak as the hood seems to work better with a climbing lid on?

- Jottnar, Montane or Rab Neoshell - but has anyone had any experience with Polartec Neoshell in gnarly winter conditions? Will it hold up?

- Paramo Velez - was impressed with the overall fit of the newer Paramo kit, although the arms and front hem seem a bit short.

- Berghaus Extrem 8000 Pro - another Gore-Tex Pro shell. In truth maybe a bit over-specced for me, but you can pick it up in various places for about £300 at the moment, which seems a bargain compared to the £490 RRP. Has anyone tried it on though - is it boxy like other Berghaus jackets I've owned?

- Helly Hansen Odin 9 Worlds jacket - bit leftfield, but looks durable and robust. Uses Helly's own 3-layer membrane, which on paper stacks up ok against Gore-Tex/eVent/Neo etc... have found a cheap (£100) one.

My girlfriend is also doing the same course, and she could do with a better winter shell too. She's small (5' 5") and very petite - normally an XS or a UK6, which usually means buying a UK 8 in outdoor kit, as so few brands make tiny women's sizes. I've mostly been looking at the female versions of the jackets above - ME Manaslu/Rupal/Ogre, Montane Alpine Pro, TNF Point Five etc. Any advice on women's shells for petite frames? Thanks!
mattmjones
Stravaiging

Re: Men's and women's winter shells

Postby davekeiller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

It's a tradeoff between waterproofing, breathability and durability.
The goretex pro will be more waterproof than the paramo, but less breathable. I'm not sure about durability, although I've used both goretex and paramo and never had a problem.
Paramo will also have a bit more insulation to it than goretex so you may find that you need to wear slightly less underneath.

Ultimately, all the jackets you list would likely be fit for purpose (can't comment on neoshell as never tried it), but you might prefer one over the others due to the cut, position of the pockets, design of hood etc. There really is no substitute for going into a shop and trying some jackets on.
Try and move around a bit, raise your arms above your head to assess whether it rides up or feels restrictive. If you plan on wearing it with a helmet, then perhaps take one with you, or ask to try one to see how the hood moves? Also, if you're getting it for winter, make sure that you can get you insulation layers under (or over) it!
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Afraid I don't know about the jackets listed as they're probably more modern than mine but I've been very happy with a Berghaus Mount Asgard Extrem jacket. It's a gore tex pro shell which I find to be robust and reasonably breathable but probably not as breathable as some. Great adjustable hood and very waterproof - also dries off very quickly. Just one niggle is the rather slim stretchy pockets which aren't really much use as they're accessed from inside the venting zips. Lastly, it weighs just under 350gr and is very packable. I have other Berghuas Extrem range clothes and do like them but am quite lucky in that small is a good fit for me with Berghaus - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:41 pm

I use a ME Lhotse and its tough winter jacket,big chest pockets and only slightly smaller hand pockets,bit of a noisy jacket but that's due to 3 layer Gore-Tex,i find it bombproof.
If your going to spend over £300 make sure that your going to do plenty of winter stuff as I find winter jackets far too warm in the milder months.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby crfishwick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 pm

mattmjones wrote:Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, but was just wondering if you could offer some buyer's advice. I'm doing a UKML winter mountaineering course in the Cairngorms in Feb,!

IIRC. When I went on a Winter climbing course @ Glenmore we used their waterproofs! Because they got some hammer when climbing and ice self arrests etc. I am glad I didn't use my own very expensive gear and knacker it. :lol: :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:46 pm

crfishwick wrote:
mattmjones wrote:Hi everyone - I'm new to this forum, but was just wondering if you could offer some buyer's advice. I'm doing a UKML winter mountaineering course in the Cairngorms in Feb,!

IIRC. When I went on a Winter climbing course @ Glenmore we used their waterproofs! Because they got some hammer when climbing and ice self arrests etc. I am glad I didn't use my own very expensive gear and knacker it. :lol: :lol:

Good point,i remember our winter course we used the thicker plastic bags to sit in and do ice axe arrest,gave you speed and had to react quickly.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Scottk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 pm

There are 2 companies which can do made to measure paramo gear. One is cioch gear on Skye and the other is Hilltrek in Aboyne , Deeside. Might be worth trying them as you would get a better fit.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby HikerSteve » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 am

I've got a ME Lhotse which works well for me @ 6'1. I have a medium.
Hood is good if wearing a helmet though I suspect most jackets are a bit restrictive once you. "batten down the hatches" in winter storm mode.
My current jacket is a replacement for my first which lasted over 10 years and it was quite used nd abused!
The GoOutdoors price guarantee is worth checking out if you can be bothered but can be good for high value purchases.
HikerSteve
Munro compleatist

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm

My girlfriend is also doing the same course, and she could do with a better winter shell too. She's small (5' 5") and very petite - normally an XS or a UK6, which usually means buying a UK 8 in outdoor kit, as so few brands make tiny women's sizes

mrs_oab is 5' and size 8.
Fit is absolutely everything for her - so many outdoor brands do not do small enough sizes, or cut for lanky thin people, or sleeves that are silly long, or hoods for necks that a 6' male would have etc. I would encourage you to get her to try on, and choose one she likes rather than 'guess'.

I on the other hand am 6', 34" waist and fit *everyones* mens Large(apart from Mammut), and so can just choose a jacket online...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk