walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin gps ect

Garmin gps ect

Postby AlecFiScott » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Looking into getting new gps equipment,currently using phone with gpx viewer and view ranger,bit worried about battery life so feel like treating self to a proper gps device ,what would folk suggest not looking to spend more than £250 ,how does that work with maps ect,is it a yearly subscription or one off payment?
look forward to suggestions
AlecFiScott

Re: Garmin gps ect

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Not sure if this is going to help but I just have an old Garmin vista hcx on to which I loadedfree talky toaster contour maps as I prefer to look at/use paper maps as I get a better overall view given that the GPs screen is very small and doesn't show a big enough picture - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:54 pm

I've recently upgraded my Etrex 10 to the Garmin GPS64, with full UK OS 1:50 maps.
So far very impressed. Used it to follow a sketchy path out in the dark and it appeared showed we were on track despite no path, but zoomed in and it showed we were off it, no surprise, and was able to find it again, spot on. Many other features, yet to be tried, but we'll impressed :D
Like the previous post I still like a paper map for that bigger picture, but so far I can't fault the 64 for accuracy down to a few metres.
Not sure on battery life, as I never kept my previous Etrex permanently on, only using it when needed.
I'm looking to get a set of rechargeable ones, Eneloop, came highly recommended over the 64 battery pack, but if I use it as per the old one, can't see an issue, and I always carry spares.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby lukemunrowalker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm

I have a montanna, had it for years but rarely use it now, it has the touchscreen display and when I bought mine they had a deal on with free 1:25 maps included. its a great GPS but maybe a bit bulky and weighty when going ultralight.

The one I mostly use is the Garmin Foretrex 401, it weighs about 90 grams, and has multiple ways it can clip on, can even be worn on the wrist. It doesn't have map display, but it gives an instant read out of OS grid, (it can be set to other various grids for use abroad) it also has electronic compass, elevation, sunrise / sunset, along with the standard GPX route & waypoint navigation features.

The thing that prompted me to go for the foretex was seeing some reviews by military guys, a lot of them suppliment their kit with it when on duty abroad, and they're not gonna lug extra kit around unless it's genuinly useful.

*I think the one pictured above is the older foretrex 301

Here is a couple of links to price comparisons; websites

goo.gl/REhWZ7

goo.gl/VtniYb
lukemunrowalker
Hill Bagger

Postby darao » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 am

I now have the new garmin inreach+ which is a huge safety boost for a solo hiker. I am still exploring what maps to be able to download and how to add routes from my OS route planning. Hoping there is some high res 1:25000 capability I can add with trails. Thoughts???
darao
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk