walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Strategy For Using WalkHighlands GPX files with OS Maps

Strategy For Using WalkHighlands GPX files with OS Maps

Postby Protanope » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm a new registrant and I'm curious about some things. Why does WalkHighlands copyright its walks such that you cannot load a Walkhighlands GPS walk into the OS Maps Online maps website?

I'd guess because OS Maps by default ends up sharing that walk with all and sundry folks, and that hardly helps driving traffic to the WalkHighlands website which makes money from its WalkHighlands online advertisers.

So if we accept that unfortunate state of affairs, how do folks who are really committed to the wonderful library of walks on the WalkHighlands website best function in the field with respect to GPS?

Using a GPS how do you best tie in with a Walkhighlands walking route as defined in a GPX file?

I have no desire to be trying to function in the field with an internet connection which may not be present, or if it is present is burning through a pile of costly or too slow data.

Thanks for considering this issue.
Protanope
Mountaineer

Re: Strategy For Using WalkHighlands GPX files with OS Maps

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

You've two options really:

1) use any software other than OS Maps - I'm not aware of any other mapping software available that only lets you use data you are willing to sign over to the software owners to relicense or sell like the Ordnance Survey does. For example I personally use Viewranger which properly respects copyright (as well as being a much more comprehensive and reliable app), but there are many alternatives.

2) complain to the OS and ask them to make it so that gpx files marked as copyright are always set to private and will not be redistributed publicly by the OS.

UPDATE 18/7/2018 - The Ordnance Survey have changed their terms and conditions and it is now possible to use Walkhighlands gpx files as private routes with the OSMaps software and apps.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Protanope » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks for your great response.

I'll do as you suggest in communications with Ordinance Survey - sure I won't be the first.

Indeed my OS Maps App on my iPhone is ever crashing, even causes the phone to reboot at times, so I'm certainly interested to acquaint myself with Viewranger of which I was not previously aware.

Did you buy the OS maps for use in ViewRanger (the free topo maps seem to be of some merit)? If you download a good GPX from Walkhighlands and have your off-track alarms set, maybe you don't always need the best map?

Roughly what would the total cost for the Western Half of Scotland be for the 1:25000 OS maps in real money? The system of in-App credits isn't familiar to me.

I find the economic model for ViewRanger to be a bit unclear. I don't have a sense of who is behind it, and how they gain from it, and where the best little treasure pots are hidden. Any thoughts?

I appreciate your knowledgeable response.

Neil M
Protanope
Mountaineer

Postby Robinho08 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 pm

I've only ever used WH gpx routes on Viewranger without any issues. Bit long winded having to upload the route onto your Viewranger account on a computer then sync Viewranger on your phone to get the route but it works.

I made this how to video for Viewranger, If you decide to switch:

Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am

Protanope wrote:If you download a good GPX from Walkhighlands and have your off-track alarms set, maybe you don't always need the best map?

I've been chewing over how to respond to this without making assumptions about your experience & skills in navigation and the tools & techniques that you use, and all I can say is that the short answer is 'No'.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
Protanope wrote:If you download a good GPX from Walkhighlands and have your off-track alarms set, maybe you don't always need the best map?

I've been chewing over how to respond to this without making assumptions about your experience & skills in navigation and the tools & techniques that you use, and all I can say is that the short answer is 'No'.

if you're running ViewRanger on an iPhone then unless you've got a spare car battery with you you'll need a paper map after an hour or two or anyway. OS Maps is even worse.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby nathan79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Robinho08 wrote:I've only ever used WH gpx routes on Viewranger without any issues. Bit long winded having to upload the route onto your Viewranger account on a computer then sync Viewranger on your phone to get the route but it works.

That is indeed the long-winded route. It's pretty straightforward to download the WH gpx routes direct to your phone then import them straight to Viewranger.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 am

nathan79 wrote:
Robinho08 wrote:I've only ever used WH gpx routes on Viewranger without any issues. Bit long winded having to upload the route onto your Viewranger account on a computer then sync Viewranger on your phone to get the route but it works.

That is indeed the long-winded route. It's pretty straightforward to download the WH gpx routes direct to your phone then import them straight to Viewranger.

That technique doesn't work anymore because Viewranger obviously prefers you to purchase the routes.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby jolly47roger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

I would look at some of the other Apps such as BackCountryNavigator or Locus.

Some of these can access OS maps or there are alternatives based on OS Opendata.

Putting my phone into airplane mode - the GPS still works - I can get 8-10 hours out of the battery.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 pm

jolly47roger wrote:Putting my phone into airplane mode - the GPS still works - I can get 8-10 hours out of the battery.

Yes but is that an iPhone or an Android phone? It makes a vast difference, hence my comment. Unless Apple have changed something in the last couple of years, iPhones burn battery when the GPS is on. It's a known and acknowledged problem. (I have an iPhone by the way, don't want to start an OS-bashing thread :D )
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby prog99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Odd, my iPhone 6 doest burn battery with the gps on. I only use it with memory map which sleeps in the background when not used.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 pm

prog99 wrote:Odd, my iPhone 6 doest burn battery with the gps on. I only use it with memory map which sleeps in the background when not used.

Might depend on how you use it. I don't use GPS for navigating, but I have occasionally used a tracking device which records where I've been (I use it much more on the bike actually). That doesn't really sleep and I don't get much more than 6 hours out of an iPhone battery with it on, even in airplane mode. For that reason I don't really bother with it on the hills anymore, and if out on a long bike ride (70 miles +), I need to take a spare battery pack/charger for it.

If you are just using an app to see where you are, it could be quite different.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby prog99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Yes, just the odd glance at a map now and then. Must do something in the background as its generally fast to lock onto position when I do need to use it.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby rgallie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm amazed that people manage to use their iPhones.

My iPhone goes from an 80% charge to dead when it gets cold. Even when stored in my warmest pocket. It's useless at this time if year in the hills, I wouldn't trust it to make a quick emergency call let alone any kind of navigation. My iPhone previous to this one was the exact same.

I do have a Garmin GPS that uses OS mapping, the Walkhighlands gpx files work perfect on that and it works in the cold.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Scottk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm

My iPhone 6s is also badly affected by cold. This weekend it went from 80% to less than 10% in 6 hours with no gps in use.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk