walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?


Postby terrymccollough » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am

Hello All,

I will be hiking/wild camping the West Highland Way next month early/mid April and am considering either synthetic or hydrophobic down sleeping bag. I own both, so it is just a matter of deciding which to bring, Big Agnes Encampment 15 (synthetic) or Mystic UL 15 (hydrophobic down). Any thoughts?

Best,

Terry McCollough
terrymccollough
Backpacker
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23, 2014

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Will N To » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm

And if anyone else is allergic to down but found down bags that don't cause problems. (I get a stuffy nose, sinus pressure headache, might just be cheap down) The weight and packing advantages are just too compelling. Thanks.
Will N To
Backpacker
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 26, 2018

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.
User avatar
Mal Grey
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 2424
Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:71   
Joined: Dec 1, 2011
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.


This.

Bonus with hydrophobic down is it works better in damp conditions in comparison to traditional down feathers.
User avatar
Robinho08
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 227
Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Grahams:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Joined: Jan 7, 2009
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby terrymccollough » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am

Robinho08 wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.


This.

Bonus with hydrophobic down is it works better in damp conditions in comparison to traditional down feathers.


Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the down. I was not sure how well it would hold up with the ambient moisture I am due to expect over the course of 6/7 days. I can certainly keep it protected from direct moisture, ie rain/ground, but the condensation build up in the tent and general moisture in the air had me second guessing.

Terry
terrymccollough
Backpacker
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23, 2014


Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Ben Nachie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am

I'd go with down. If it gets a bit damp, which it very well might, take the opportunity of any dry or sunny spell in the middle of the day to stop and take a break and lay your bag out for half an hour to dry out.
User avatar
Ben Nachie
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Jun 19, 2017

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 pm

terrymccollough wrote:
Robinho08 wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:I would always choose down over synthetic, if the bags are of a similar warmth. Lighter, more compressible, and somehow just nicer to sleep in, less sweaty, softer etc.

I use down all year, whatever the weather. I just make sure it doesn't get wet, its not too difficult unless you're regularly bivvying out without a tent/tarp.


This.

Bonus with hydrophobic down is it works better in damp conditions in comparison to traditional down feathers.


Hello Folks,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go with the down. I was not sure how well it would hold up with the ambient moisture I am due to expect over the course of 6/7 days. I can certainly keep it protected from direct moisture, ie rain/ground, but the condensation build up in the tent and general moisture in the air had me second guessing.

Terry


I remember being paranoid about a summit camp in subzero temperatures. Some of the inner froze, bur condensation was dripping onto my down bag, but it coped fine and wasn't a hydrophobic effort either.

As Ben Nachie said, air your bag out during the hike. If it was sunny in the morning I'd put my sleeping bag over my poles to air while I made breakfast and broke camp.
User avatar
Robinho08
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 227
Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Grahams:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Joined: Jan 7, 2009
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby terrymccollough » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 am

Robinho08 wrote:I remember being paranoid about a summit camp in subzero temperatures. Some of the inner froze, bur condensation was dripping onto my down bag, but it coped fine and wasn't a hydrophobic effort either.

As Ben Nachie said, air your bag out during the hike. If it was sunny in the morning I'd put my sleeping bag over my poles to air while I made breakfast and broke camp.


Indeed, it is a bit of paranoia. Thank you for helping me realise it.
terrymccollough
Backpacker
 
Posts: 9
Joined: May 23, 2014

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby Hola » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 pm

Save weight and look at Quilts..Synthetic good for the damp UK.
Wouldn't go back to a sleeping bag if you paid me now.
Custom made if possible
Hola
Backpacker
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mar 31, 2018

Re: Hydrophobic Down or Synthetic Sleeping Bag?

Postby giuliapeddi » Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Hope you don't mind if I tag along in this conversation!

I'm considering getting an Enlightened Equipment sleep system and I'm thinking double quilt combination with a "main" hydrophobic down quilt and a lightweight (50°F) synthetic one to put on top. This should help condensation form on the outer quilt instead of the down one.

However I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this and one dridown quilt might be enough for 3-season Scotland? Or if I should play it safe and go with a synthetic one that I'm more sure will hold up?

I plan to use this with the EE Recon bivy or an inner tent (according to midges threat) and either a Trailstar or a Wickiup 3. My dream hiking locations are mostly northen Europe: Scotland, Scandinavia, Iceland, etc.

Thanks to everyone who'll chime in!
giuliapeddi
Backpacker
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jul 20, 2017




Return to Gear and Equipment talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests