walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

To Páramo or not to Páramo?

To Páramo or not to Páramo?

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue May 01, 2018 7:49 am

I've never been entirely happy with my summer clothing setup, namely wool tee or long sleeved base layer, fleece or heavier wool layer, and a hard shell waterproof. I find I'm lacking a windproof and don't like sweating in my hard shell.

I'm therefore looking at Páramo, specifically the Bentu jacket & fleece, and would like some feedback from others who have used the system before I splash lots of cash.

My plan was a wool tee and the Bentu fleece & jacket, no hard shell. Would that work for the warmer months?

I'm a big fan of Buffalo from autumn through to spring so I'm used to that sort of concept.

Thanks!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Re: To Páramo or not to Páramo?

Postby naepace » Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm

I just bought the Bentu jacket (no fleece) Not had a chance to put it through its paces yet though. If it is as windproof as they claim I'll be happy. I run really warm and I'd be sweating like Jason Manford when his wife picks up his phone in your current set up, so I might not be the best to advise you on the jacket :?
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes, I think I should point out that I run quite cold these days. I'll even wear my Buffalo top on a cold & windy/wet summer's day, especially when stationary.

On the other hand a warm sunny day will see me in just the tee.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Scottk » Tue May 01, 2018 10:50 pm

I like paramo but too hot for me over Summer. I got an Arcteryx Atom SL and really like it. It's a wind proof top with hood and very light insulation in the body. It's wearing really well and works for me in a wide range of temperatures.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Drew474 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:22 am

I haven't tried any Paramo jackets, but I only ever hear good things.

Like yourself I run pretty hot when hill walking, so a hard shell is always a no no, unless its raining and it is required.

Over the past few years I have found myself using Fjallravens G-1000 jackets more and more. In fact I use various Fjallraven jackets throughout the year. They are not waterproof, but are windproof to a certain extent. The beauty of them though is I stay relatively cool in them when working hard, but still need some protection. When Im done with the ascent, I throw on an insulating layer underneath and carry on. Has worked wonders.

Just some food for thought.
Drew474
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 02, 2018 11:53 am

I would agree with this review http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear-editors-column/paramo-bentu-windproof-fleece/ in that I think you would probably want to carry a lightweight waterproof as well.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed May 02, 2018 12:29 pm

I too run hot when waling. For windproofing on days when I don't want to wear a waterproof I bought a Rab Boreas pull-on top. It's now my favourite piece of clothing. Very light, reasonably windproof ( though not as much as a waterproof jacket) and showerproof. Also has a hood. Can't reccomend it highly enough.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby JaneAyr » Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm

I don't have a Bentu but have a Paramo Fuera windproof smock which I think is made of the same material.
It's my go to outer layer for most of the year, I just vary the base layer(s) depending on the temperature. In the warmer months I'll just wear a short or long sleeved base layer, and in the winter I wear two. That's usually enough unless I stop, then I'll add a warmer layer over the top.

It isn't waterproof but copes with showers ok.

It was my first Paramo purchase and I'm now a convert - I've since treated myself to a Velez Adventure Light, which I love.
Between the two of them, I'm sorted for everything the weather throws at me :)

Highly recommended
JaneAyr
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   Donalds:34+11
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:51   Islands:2

Postby nathan79 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am

Wool tee plus Paramo fleece then Paramo windproof on top sounds like my idea of a sweaty nightmare.
I've got a couple of Paramo Fueras (a smock and a jacket) and they're far less breathable than my other options. I wouldn't dream of combining them with a fleece outside of deepest winter. Despite the sweatiness, I like the fabric. It's tough and it wears well.

Take a look at a combination of a polartec Alpha layer and a windproof and see if that fits the bill for you
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu May 03, 2018 12:56 pm

nathan79 wrote:Wool tee plus Paramo fleece then Paramo windproof on top sounds like my idea of a sweaty nightmare.
I've got a couple of Paramo Fueras (a smock and a jacket) and they're far less breathable than my other options. I wouldn't dream of combining them with a fleece outside of deepest winter. Despite the sweatiness, I like the fabric. It's tough and it wears well.

Take a look at a combination of a polartec Alpha layer and a windproof and see if that fits the bill for you

Interesting... But pricey!

Sort of like a thin Buffalo. What (if anything) do you wear under it?
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby ea51ron » Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm

I've got the Bentu fleece and jacket combo and I love it. I usually wear a Merino baselayer and then mix and match the 2 Paramo items depending on conditions. I sometimes just use the fleece on it's own, it's thin and really comfortable - and it also looks good in the pub!
ea51ron
Mountaineer

Munros:146   
Hewitts:2

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 am

I've just done a week in Fort William (another coming up). It was during the recent week of wintry showers, including some fairly ferocious ones on the hills around Rannoch Moor.

I have had a Paramo coat for years (not sure which species, but it's done Alps, Himalayas and Andes all fine).

Most of the Fort William walks I didn't use any base layer under it at all. Just the coat and that's it. I was absolutely fine, even in horizontal hail!

In summer I simply wear a Merino tee, and then swap it for the Paramo on the tops.

Haven't used a fleece of any kind for years, or any sort of layering, because Paramo + merino tee does it all, for me.

A cheap system too... I just buy one new merino each year!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Mcut » Sun May 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I have the newer version of the Bentu windproof. I don't have the fleece, it's a bit pricey.

I wear the jacket with just a Kepler merino t shirt or the montane allez pull on. I run hot and find just the allez and the bentu are great in most conditions. I always carry a small rucksack and throw a really light hard shell in the bag just in case of a downpour. I haven't tried the bentu in heavy rain as I don't think of it as any more than a windproof.

The Nikwax windproof fabric is really nice, hood fits great. It's not the lightest jacket and at the moment the bentu comes out on the hilltops rather than worn for the whole walk.
Mcut
Munro compleatist

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon May 21, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks! (I'm still undecided... :lol: )
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby matt_outandabout » Sat May 26, 2018 11:05 pm

I've owned a few hard shells, a few windproofs, a few mid layer softshell things and a paramo, I've issued as staff uniform a mix of ME and Patagonia hard shells and Paramo winter jackets.

I need to try a modern Paramo as the older cut was dreadful - a negative outweighing of the benefits (that are many) of the system. The were too short on the body, flappy sails with dreadful pocket shapes and placements, also in awful colours...But they were super waterproof, cosy on a wet day in the hills and served us well as outdoor instructors on river and Munro for a couple of hundred days a year.

Apart from a Montane Dyno or Montane Krypton, I've not yet found the perfect softshell either. Dyno for warmer or high exertion days (MTb, myself on hills etc) and I wore to death, probably 50% of the time. Krypton when ambling along with groups, cold days, higher winds, on the river, really wet days under a hard shell, maybe 25% of the time. Hard shell in proper rain otherwise. The Krypton genius was not being too warm, having suede like fleecey inner and mesh.

The old wind shirt and fleece combo Dyno/Krypton worked well, and actually pushed me back to my old pertex and separate fleece. I've now a Tog24 running pertex with removeable arms. It's brilliant flexibility means I wear it a lot.

The Montane shirt and fleece should be a good option - I like you am tempted to see if it works, but it's a privey choice considering a £25 Tog24 running pertex and couple of micro fleeces...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk