walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which size of rucksack for a newbie hill climber

Which size of rucksack for a newbie hill climber

Postby amandalee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:00 pm

So we've only done 3 mountains so far...but thoroughly enjoying it. I now need to invest in a proper rucksack...not fussed on make (although I will take recommendations) but what size do I go for? I've beek looking around the 25-35L size....but is this too small? Will not be doing overnighters...just days treks (eventually building up to longer day treks).

Any advice gratefully received!

L :-)
amandalee
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Which size of rucksack for a newbie hill climber

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:23 pm

amandalee wrote:25-35L size....but is this too small?

Anything is this range is fine should be fine for summer time - if you also want to go out in the winter I would go for something at the upper end of this range (and with axe+crampon attachments). A good fit is important - best to go to some shops and try some different models on.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm

25-35L is about right. If you need over 35L you're carrying too much stuff!

As for makes, I like Osprey these days.
I have (I think) a 28L Osprey sack that I use in summer and it's just about big enough for myself, my other half, and two dogs. I also have a 35L Macpac that I use in winter, but that's only big enough for kit for me and the dogs. My other half takes the Osprey for her kit.

PS the reason I try to shoehorn everything for both of us into the Osprey pack and not the Macpac is because it's comfier!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby amandalee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Thank you both...I've been looking at Osprey's and they do look good. Not planning on any winter hill climbs this year I think - both myself and husband feel a bit inexperienced at the moment and we would have no idea what we were doing. :)
amandalee
Mountaineer

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Very much a personal taste, but mine is Berghaus Freeflow 35 + 8. That's fits waterproofs, insulated jacket, windproof jacket, lunch, and in one pocket all the bits, headtorch, batteries, gloves, beanie. Top pocket for compass, etc.

Also can depend on whether you want a bladder. Some like these so you can drink on the move, my preference is to stop for a drink :D

But by far my main requirement is a rucksack with side pockets, many of the current ones seem to have gone for those half size mesh pockets, which for me is asking to lose whatever goes in it, much prefer the side pockets, top pockets etc to all have full zips. This has meant to resorting to eBay given the manufacturers seem to have gone awa y from these now.

Just something to think about :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby ianmcc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm

The sizes you mention are fine for summer walking; you'll need one at the upper limit for winter.
Paradoxically, the better (ie lighter/ more compact/ expensive) your kit and spare clothing are, the smaller your rucksack can be.
ianmcc

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Try them on coz comfort is super important. I used my big pack and pulled the straps in for yonks before getting a separate day pack. I got the osprey sirrus 24 litre and it holds everything I need. I carry a 1.8 litre bladder as well. This wouldn’t include winter gear tho . I am however female and not very tall so my stuff wouldn’t take up as much space.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby amandalee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:53 am

really appreciate all these comments....

I'm like Holly and fairly small so I might be best to try a few on to check for comfort. Re side pockets - hadn't thought of this. Had just told myself I wanted something with mesh to hold a bottle, but I know what I am like and will fill these with other things then panic I've lost them. And I really can't decide on a bladder or not. I like stopping for a drink, but at the same time already finding pulling a bottle out each time a pain.

Given me quite a few things to think about now :-)
amandalee
Mountaineer

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I use a 35l Osprey Talon in summer and winter. Unless the weather is scorchio with no chance of rain the kit I carry is largely the same (crampons + axe get added in winter and maybe an extra extra layer). I'm 5ft 2 and have a relatively short torso and find the S/M size fine. In winter my sack will be relatively full but it's never so stuffed that it's a problem to get stuff in/out. The Talon has a large top pocket where I put my gloves, hat, head torch, compass (when not attached to me), sweets, mobile etc. It also has some hip pockets which I find really handy for stashing snacks in especially in winter where you want easily accessible snacks and not to have to remove gloves to get to them.

Best plan is go into a shop and try a bunch on. Take the kit you're likely to carry and walk around the shop wearing it.

I'd probably err on the side of having slightly more space than you need because however well you pack your sack in the morning the contents have this bizarre habit of expanding throughout the day and if the weather does go pear shaped it's a lot easier to get things in/out of a slightly bigger sack with wet hands, gear etc than it is if everything was immaculately folded and squished in precisely in order to fit.

If you opt for a larger sack you may well be able to use it in winter too thus worth checking if the sack has axe attachments points - not all the smaller ones do.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Coop » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Bought an osprey 33 last year and ended up going back to my Vango roam 35 - it gets my shout
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Oops, I just checked and my Talon is 33l not 35.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 am

35-40L is a good size for year round use. Any smaller than 35 and you'll probably need a second rucksack for winter. Osprey are generous with their measurements.

I use an Osprey Talon 33 (33l) for all year use, it can be a bit empty in the warmest months but otherwise it's fine. I can also get away with using it for 1-2 nights away wild camping or bothying. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:22 am

Another for the Talon 33, it seems to swallow up a lot more than 33 litres and it weighs nothing.

Its been my go to pack for many years now, although I do find that the thin straps can bite if you overload the pack for a longer hike (anything over 10 kg, for 5 hours or more), but if you are carrying less than that its a great pack.

I also have the Osprey Stratos 36, which I use for heavier loads as its got better padding on the shoulders, but its heavier.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby maxloki » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Go outdoors have the Talon 33l for £75 at the moment, might be worth a shout going in for a look.
maxloki
Mountaineer

Munros:21   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Heilanladdie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:25 am

I use this as my go to rucksack, more than big enough for me. Any bigger than this and I end up filling it with stuff i dont need! Personal preference though. I dont really plan on using my bigger Berghaus in the winter unless its an epic.

oex-rapide 24d daypack ( I cant post a hyperlink) On sale in Go Outdoors for £25 right now!
Heilanladdie
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk